www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 08-05-17, 19:01   #26051
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GaGa View Post
Good News everyone RE7 failed to meet sales expectations . Looks like we may get a true RE game next afterall.

Apparently RE7 sold less in 4 months than what RE5 and 6 sold in the first week .

https://culturedvultures.com/capcom-...sales-failure/
Serves them right for changing everything upside down and going First Person just because everyone else is doing it. I would have been able to forgive whatever RE7 is supposed to be if it were a spin off or with a different title, but not as a main Resident Evil pillar entry.

REV2 is the real RE7 for me. The bad Outlast/PT wannabe is just sewage.

Floating hands as a main character, ugly people getting really close to your face, characters talking to the camera... a total disaster!!!

Last edited by RAID; 08-05-17 at 19:09.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 19:54   #26052
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr GaGa View Post
Apparently RE7 sold less in 4 months than what RE5 and 6 sold in the first week .
1. lots of people worked really hard on that game and some will probably lose their job because the game didn't meet the sales expectations. Celebrating a failure shouldn't be encouraged nor even a thing. Grow up, pretty please? I'm so tired of entitled players who think devs owe them big time. That's not how it works.

2. Different time, different context. RE5's sales were greatly helped thanks to RE4's popularity (which was still very high a decade ago). That was in 2009.

It's been 8 years now. Time has changed, more games got released in the meantime, new standards were set and RE6's mixed opinion happened. You cannot compare RE7's sales to the ones of RE5. Not the same period, not the same context, not the same circumstances, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
Floating hands as a main character, ugly people getting really close to your face, characters talking to the camera... a total disaster!!!
Given the good reviews and the general appreciation I've seen online, I wouldn't call this a disaster but "something you don't like".

Last edited by Isaac; 08-05-17 at 19:56.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 19:54   #26053
robm_2007
Legend

If REv2 was in first person and RE7 in third person, your opinion would be completely flipped, rendering your logic questionable. It's more about the camera angle for you than everything else combined.

That said, 7 has the unfortunance of being in first person (which is foreign to the series apart from their arguably more obscure title) and having a whole new set of characters and no meaningful ties to the running lore, but the gameplay, art detail, flow/pacing, etc. are very reminiscent of REmake.

P.T. was just a point and click. Great atmosphere, but unforgivably unfair and confusing looped "gameplay" (wait until some player with ESP posts a walkthrough before you can actually "beat" it). Outlast has absolutely no combat; its horror is from the helplessness instilled in not being able to defend yourself, and prioritizing remaining unseen, then running away if you are spotted (which often still gets you killed because some enemies are still faster than you are).

FP camera and broad genre are all they share with RE7.

Last edited by robm_2007; 08-05-17 at 19:55.
robm_2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 20:09   #26054
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007 View Post
Outlast has absolutely no combat; its horror is from the helplessness instilled in not being able to defend yourself,
I would even say that RE7 did a better job with that because being defenseless like in Outlast is more of a gimmick than a feature. Any human being would pick any item and hit it on its aggressor instead of hiding in the sole closet that the ennemy will probably not even notice himself. It's so bad.

You can be defenseless and still be able to fight back. That's how the very first RE worked: you had weapons, but in limited quantity. It forces you to use your ammo carefully and to search every room for additional bullets. With that, being vulnerable is caused by the players himself amd his ammo management instead of being forced by the game developers.

Last edited by Isaac; 08-05-17 at 20:20.
Old 08-05-17, 20:13   #26055
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm_2007 View Post
If REv2 was in first person and RE7 in third person, your opinion would be completely flipped, rendering your logic questionable. It's more about the camera angle for you than everything else combined.

That said, 7 has the unfortunance of being in first person (which is foreign to the series apart from their arguably more obscure title) and having a whole new set of characters and no meaningful ties to the running lore, but the gameplay, art detail, flow/pacing, etc. are very reminiscent of REmake.
It may have those things, but since there's no character to relate to, I couldn't be bothered to keep playing. I stopped playing after meeting the molded for the first time. The game feels like a cheap arcade where monsters just come close to the camera and scratch it.

I need a human character to be able to relate and get into the story, and since RE7 missed having a human character, I couldn't enjoy all the things you mentioned. Playing as a pair of hands doesn't work for me.
Old 08-05-17, 20:30   #26056
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I need a human character to be able to relate and get into the story, and since RE7 missed having a human character, I couldn't enjoy all the things you mentioned. Playing as a pair of hands doesn't work for me.
It comes down to different kind of intentions.

For a game like The Last of Us, it's very important to see the characters we play as because the developers will want to transmit specific emotions through the characters' facial expression. As human being ourselves, it's by seing other people's emotions that our empathy triggers and we react and feel.

So for a story-driven game, third person is the way to go, because the developers don't want us to "be" the character we play as but feel for him/her. We all remember seeing Joel crying in The Last of Us' prologue, it was powerful. Had we been in his PoI, we would hear him sob and watch a dead kid face. It's awkward.

HOWEVER, Capcom's intention with RE7 wasn't to give us a character-driven story despite the appearance. They wanted to exploit the first person horror. We are Ethan, it's not about relating to him. It's about being limited in perspective, being unable to see what's behind us or what's around the corner, being unable to move the camera around.

A limited perspective does have some effects on fears.

So I think it's a bit unfair to blame Capcom for that choice.

Last edited by Isaac; 08-05-17 at 21:14. Reason: words and stuff
Old 08-05-17, 20:43   #26057
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post

For a game like The Last of Us, it's very important to see the characters we play as because the developers will want to transmit specific emotions through the characters' facial expression. As human being ourselves, it's by seing other people's emotions that we our empathy triggers and we react and feel.

So for a story-driven game, third person is the way to go, because the developers don't want us to "be" the character we play as but feel for him/her. We all remember seeing Joel crying in The Last of Us' prologue, it was powerful. Had we been in his PoI, we would hear him sob and watch a dead kid face. It's awkward.
Perfect Example It is also one of the many reasons The Last of Us is a million times superior to RE7. Relate-able characters, gets the players to empathize with them and very good acting. All these things were noticeable because the characters were visible in the game.

All RE7 had to offer was people getting really close to the camera and making funny faces.

Quote:
HOWEVER, Capcom's intention with RE7 wasn't to give us a character-driven story despite the appearance. They wanted to exploit the first person horror. We are Ethan, it's not about relating to him. It's about being limited in perspective, being unable to see what's behind us or what's around the corner, being unable to move the camera around.

I think we all know that Capcom jumped on the FPP wagon only because there are many popular FPP games out there and they were trying to be like them.

I didn't find it scary. Only frustrating and annoying. I also found myself feeling rather sick and nauseous for most of the time.

Unless the FPP is optional or just limited to VR, they are really just limiting their audience, as someone who is very story and character driven like myself will lose interest completely.

Let's face it, without the VR, you don't really feel like you are Ethan, but rather you are looking at a TV/walking simulator.

In conclusion, I do blame Capcom for this choice as they were the minds behind this horrible idea. I guess that's what a company gets for being impulsive. They wanted so badly to be like the popular kids that they did not actually think things through properly.

Last edited by RAID; 08-05-17 at 20:50.
RAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-17, 21:07   #26058
sackboy123
Tomb Raider

Quote:

For a game like The Last of Us, it's very important to see the characters we play as because the developers will want to transmit specific emotions through the characters' facial expression. As human being ourselves, it's by seing other people's emotions that we our empathy triggers and we react and feel.

This sums everything perfectly

Also I still don't get why people compare this game to Outlast, it's nothing like it except the fact that it's first person

I've had friends who despise Outlast and would never touch it but loves RE7 with a passion
Old 08-05-17, 21:13   #26059
Isaac
Relic Hunter

Quote:
I think we all know that Capcom jumped on the FPP wagon only because there are many popular FPP games out there and they were trying to be like them.
That's unfair, really. FPP is a genre and offer certain tricks that aren't possible in third person and vice versa. Once again: game intentions. They aimed for a specific direction with RE7 because they had ideas and saw potential in that... And it worked for many people. It's as simple as that. Just like fixed camera angles offered a certain feel, first person games can manage to offer some good things too. It all come down to game direction and intentions.

Right now you're painting intentions in Capcom out of your own assumptions and interpretations of the situation. You shouldn't do that.

Quote:
I didn't find it scary.
And that's fine. Each person react differently to all kind of situation. It didn't work for you: end of the story. You shouldn't go on a vendetta and blame Capcom's decision for something that didn't work specifically for you. Capcom isn't your dad, it's not there to please you. I'm not implying that having fanbase and pleasing them to an extend doesn't contribute to the game's success, but we also all know that relying only on it hurt the game more than else eventually because fans have a tendency to get locked in their like and refuse any kind of evolution or innovation. We've all been through that with Tomb Raider, RE4 and so on.

The horror genre is constantly evolving and new standards are often set. It's no wonder Capcom tried something new at this point. If we all started to hate game studios because they don't please all our needs, it would be a real mess. I disliked Outlast's limited gameplay, but I know the game worked really well for others. Fair enough. You won't see my going on forum hating Red Barrels for doing something that I don't like lol.

The rest of your post is more of the same to be honest. No offense, but you're building walls of arguments out of a personal taste and trying to shove down my throat your dislike of the game at this point. This won't work lol.

Last edited by Isaac; 08-05-17 at 21:32.
Old 08-05-17, 21:29   #26060
dcw123
Relic Hunter

Sorry but I just don't buy it. Just because the game is first person - doesn't mean the character Ethan has to be an unrelatable bore like he is.
We play as Mia and she was FAR more interesting to me.

This is one of the reasons I still like 3rd person games.
And just because its 3rd person.. doesn't mean you can't relate or "be" that character (just because your not looking through their eyes)

Outcast 2 is doing my head in - its far too unpredictable and full of 1 hit deaths. I've just died like 5 or 6 times in one hallway, all because there is no indication of where to go. The monster chasing me teleports, so even if you round a corner.. he will appear infront of you despite you sprinting ahead. All doors I've tried are locked..
You only have time to check one door at a time as simply playing the handle animation gets you killed.
Not fun!
I also got stuck thanks to a glitch where he wouldn't crawl under a tree.. despite crawling under everything else of similar height automatically so far.

I really do think Resi needs to return to third person - leave FPS for the spin offs (Chronicles, Survivor) and keep the main titles old school.

Hopefully RE2's remake will follow the REmake and Zero trend.. I do miss that classic style.
Of course, they can update controls to be fluid (3D not 2D)
Outbreak did this when using the D Pad (2D tank) or analogue sticks (3D)

Sadly they messed 3D up in REmake and Zero leading to you to be able to cheat, changing direction instantly and being able to fly around zombies etc.
Outbreak had a curve, so you still had to arc the character around slightly.. but it was WAY smoother than tank controls.
Also, it avoided the confusion when the camera angle changed.. it becomes relative to the camera angle instead of the player and direction they are facing (up always being forwards aka old RE)

Wish Capcom would bring back Dino Crisis and Regina. Missed those games so much and we never found out what happened to her after DC2

Last edited by dcw123; 08-05-17 at 21:32.
dcw123 is offline   Reply With Quote