www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 26-01-21, 00:53   #35051
shockwave_pulsar00
Professor
 
shockwave_pulsar00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ga
Posts: 3,064
Default

Speaking on female characters in RE, I'm really wondering if 8 will even have a playable female character. Right now everything points to "no", but it has been a tradition in every main RE game to have this balance of cooperation of both sexes.
__________________
Locked and Loaded....
shockwave_pulsar00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 01:04   #35052
VictorXD
Relic Hunter
 
VictorXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ฿-₳-฿-¥-⍸L-⌽-₦
Posts: 9,502
Default

I'm guessing yeah, we might have a small playable section with the 'Maiden' because of the demo (though that might have just been because of "Virgin's Blood" thing and her seemingly dying at the end, resulting in it only being a technical demo). If not the main game I'm guessing at least DLC/mini side game.

Now if we are going by the leaks then:

most likely not. it seems like we'll play as Chris for the rest of the game. So if there is a playable female character, she won't have more than 10min worth of gameplay most likely
__________________
Persecution to all non Luds Gate believers may God's wrath fall upon you sinners
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 01:42   #35053
Uzi master
Relic Hunter
 
Uzi master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
That's not true at all. The only reason the game doesn't end as soon as you're done with the Kijuju village is exactly because Chris saw a picture of Jill and was going through hell on Earth to find her based on the very remote possibility she might still be alive. The game is entirely based on finishing the plot RE1 started with Wesker, Chris and Jill.
This logic would make Helena far more important than Leon in 6, then. Can't have it both ways.
Quote:
It's not though. Most of the dialogue is directed at them, it's THEM the other characters are more impressed they meet, it's them who have more screentime.
I... don't recall that being the case. Sherry is usually the one doing the talking in her campaign at least, and Leon in that one, but that's mostly the case with characters that recognize them.
Quote:
And even if it wasn't because of all this, if their importance wasn't played up and overshadowed the female counterparts, they wouldn't be "the default players" in the first place.
Uhm, there's two characters and one is gonna be the default no matter what... Either way though, you're saying its both an example of them overshadowing the females, and also a result of it; that's ridiculously circular logic.
Quote:
You just answered your own point though, that's the reason it wasn't available at first, but in no way is the more important campaign of them all. It just offers an insight on the villain's motivations and what exactly was going on. But the artwork you'll most likely get when googling RE6 is not one of Carla or Ada, it's Chris and Leon (pointlessly) pointing guns at each other.
I tend to final the final act of a story, that ties everything together, to be the most important part. Ada show's herself to be very important to the events of the backstory and each characters campaign. She's clearly the most important and influential out of all the games protagonists.
Quote:
And promotional material is extremely important. It's how market your game that will show who you think are the most important characters, what the game is about, the setting and atmosphere it has, etc.
And like I said about Tomb Raider before, it's not necessarily representative of how the game actually is. Which quite frankly I find far more important.
Quote:
I completely disagree for a variety of reasons that I already listed. And most importantly because from her personality, to her clothes to the plot point that makes drive to Raccoon City in the first place were all executed and remade in a way that is not so faithful or as thought out as Leon's and it shows.
Changing her portion more doesn't make her as a character in the game less important. It honestly sounds like your conflating your own disappointment with the game with... Sexism? Leon's portion wasn't exactly unchanged either, but since you like them better that makes the changes sexist? I wasn't the biggest fan of the changes they made either, but none of them indicate less effort was put in, nor was her role in the game reduced in any way. If you don't like her clothes then fine, valid criticism, but unless they're sticking her in a damned burka calling it sexism is pretty ridiculous.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 02:55   #35054
matrix54
Tomb Raider
 
matrix54's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: N/A
Posts: 20,304
Default

“Allegedly,” Jill & Carlos were supposed to go to the RPD, not Carlos & Tyrell, with Carlos doing everything Tyrell would have. The hallway dialogue Jill & Carlos share before the subway would have been saved for the RPD. Even when Jill & Carlos finally leave after learning of Bard’s existence, that Nemesis tentacle attack scene would happen in the courtyard, turning Brad into a tentacle zombie.

It maintains the flow of the game as well, as the RPD is a relatively slow burn before things ramp up downtown, and would see the game slowly become more action packed as of concludes.

Since the RPD scene ends with Carlos & Jill being chased, they end up in the subway our of breath.
__________________
Check out "Checkout: Journey to Employee of the Month!"
matrix54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 03:24   #35055
VictorXD
Relic Hunter
 
VictorXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: ฿-₳-฿-¥-⍸L-⌽-₦
Posts: 9,502
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzi master View Post
This logic would make Helena far more important than Leon in 6, then. Can't have it both ways.
She IS more important than Leon in that story, yet the game gives Leon the spotlight.

And it's not at all having both ways. Not in the slightest.

Quote:
I... don't recall that being the case. Sherry is usually the one doing the talking in her campaign at least, and Leon in that one, but that's mostly the case with characters that recognize them.
Even if Sherry is the more talkative of the two, he is still the one that shows up first, in the marketing campaign most dev would call it "Jake's campaign" and sometimes say "Jake and Sherry's". He is still the one that shows up in the after credits cutscene, etc.

Even if he is less talkative than her, the game still shamelessly puts him more in the spotlight than she does.
Quote:
Uhm, there's two characters and one is gonna be the default no matter what... Either way though, you're saying its both an example of them overshadowing the females, and also a result of it; that's ridiculously circular logic.
No it's not at all. First if you have equally important parts of the same story there is no 'default' player.

Second, how can it be result of circular logic the end result is: they are overshadowed, and to prove that I use one the things that make that evident as to show that they are indeed overshadowed? Saying that is circular logic is like saying "oh hey I found the murder weapon, proving that the victim did indeed die by this tool" is not a valid way of proving a murder because it is the tool that resulted in the murder in the first place.
Quote:
I tend to final the final act of a story, that ties everything together, to be the most important part. Ada show's herself to be very important to the events of the backstory and each characters campaign. She's clearly the most important and influential out of all the games protagonists.
And using that is just wrong, because it's the whole collective of the artwork that should be used when when judging this aspect of the story.

And as much as I would love that Ada being the most influential and important character of all games be true, she's simply not. She's a side character who works behind the scenes and sells viruses. By your logic, the most influential character would be Spencer since he is the one that started it all by founding Umbrella and creating the T Virus.
Quote:
And like I said about Tomb Raider before, it's not necessarily representative of how the game actually is. Which quite frankly I find far more important.
It is more important but how you portray your game is still important. It is how the general public is going to get to know your product, what your ideas behind it are, what you are trying to achieve.

Both are important, even if one takes priority over the other. And I've given examples how it goes way beyond marketing so...

Quote:
Changing her portion more doesn't make her as a character in the game less important.
It doesn't, but when you are much more attentive to detail in almost all fronts to your male protagonist when you don't pay as much attention to the female, equally important counterpart, it is sexist.
Quote:
It honestly sounds like your conflating your own disappointment with the game with... Sexism?
It's possible to both enjoy and be disappointed by a game regardless if it is sexist or not based on all of its other merits. Just because I am pointing out the sexism within Capcom in regards to how they portray their females characters does NOT mean I am blaming my own reservations and disappointments solely because of it. Especially because most of my disappointments do NOT come from gender based situations. The sole reason you would even bring this up is because you are running out of justifications and look to point blame at me instead of thinking back on Capcom's actions and realize that yes, they can actually make mistakes. Shocking I know.

If you had actually been paying attention to the points I've been making instead of looking to refute them because of "eew feminists" you would not have said that or continue to complement it with this:
Quote:
Leon's portion wasn't exactly unchanged either, but since you like them better that makes the changes sexist?
Of course Leon's campaign went through changes, but it's more than when you compare his personality, his design, his story to his RE2 self than compare then proceed to make the same comparison to Claire, the departure in far greater in her case then on Leon's. If Capcom overshadowing the female protagonists hadn't become a thing for years, and Claire got just as much exposition during marketing as Leon did, and she ALSO had a statue that came with the collector's edition, then the discrepancy between how both protagonists were handled would just be a happy coincidence. But since it's not, it's quite clear what is going on, even if you refuse to see it.
Quote:

I wasn't the biggest fan of the changes they made either, but none of them indicate less effort was put in,
Did you miss the whole "I mention Chris two times through the game and just forget he is the reason I'm here in the first place" thing going on? It's the entire reason Claire went to RC in the first, not some silly plot point. it's even worse on the B scenario when she never runs into Marvin and just mentions him if you find the file. Even if now we know that Chris is fine, it is still a huge part of Claire's story in this game and should be treated as such.

Quote:
nor was her role in the game reduced in any way. If you don't like her clothes then fine, valid criticism, but unless they're sticking her in a damned burka calling it sexism is pretty ridiculous.
how surprising that you would think that only if she had been covered in a burka that would FINALLY mean there's something amiss.
__________________
Persecution to all non Luds Gate believers may God's wrath fall upon you sinners

Last edited by VictorXD; 26-01-21 at 03:25.
VictorXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 04:19   #35056
robm_2007
Legend
 
robm_2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: RIP, Spong! You are very missed!
Posts: 35,090
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
There are rumours online that Capcom aren't showing Ethan's face because he is secretly Leon who has been brainwashed to forget his identity.... like are people seriously this desperate to have Chris and Leon involved in EVERY installment?
Schrödinger's Leon.
__________________
Yeah, sure, I'll do it for fifty bucks!
robm_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 05:43   #35057
Uzi master
Relic Hunter
 
Uzi master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
She IS more important than Leon in that story, yet the game gives Leon the spotlight.

And it's not at all having both ways. Not in the slightest.
You've gone over the marketting giving the male characters the spotlight, but I don't see how the campaign gives it to him more than Helena.

The campaign wouldn't have worked without Helena, while Leon isn't a whole lot more relevant than Sheva; a reverse of RE5 situation.

Quote:
Even if he is less talkative than her, the game still shamelessly puts him more in the spotlight than she does.
Again this just seems like splitting hairs over who did more. I did say this one in particular I see focusing a bit more on Jake, but hardly to the point where she doesn't count as one of the main characters/protagonists. Anyway, I'd like to hear how you think the games specifically took the spotlight from Helena, Claire and Jill.
Quote:
No it's not at all. First if you have equally important parts of the same story there is no 'default' player.

Second, how can it be result of circular logic the end result is: they are overshadowed...
By default I meant the character you'd select first if you just pressed confirm repeatedly.

By circular, I mean you described it a evidence of sexism, but said it only counts as evidence because of other sexist things, but at this point I think we meant entirely different things by default so the point is somewhat moot.
Quote:
And using that is just wrong, because it's the whole collective of the artwork that should be used when when judging this aspect of the story.
Of course, but sometimes certain parts of works are just more important to the whole than others. If that wasn't the case, you wouldn't be able to claim any of the female protagonists were being overshadowed because they get just as much screen-time and play-time. You're judging the particular parts with the male characters as more important.
Quote:
And as much as I would love that Ada being the most influential and important character of all games be true, she's simply not. She's a side character who works behind the scenes and sells viruses. By your logic, the most influential character would be Spencer since he is the one that started it all by founding Umbrella and creating the T Virus.
She's the most important of that particular games playable characters to that particular games plot. Not the overarching story of course.
Quote:
It is more important but how you portray your game is still important. It is how the general public is going to get to know your product, what your ideas behind it are, what you are trying to achieve.

It doesn't, but when you are much more attentive to detail in almost all fronts to your male protagonist when you don't pay as much attention to the female, equally important counterpart, it is sexist.
But what parts of the game feel like Leon got more 'detail' put in exactly?

You made your point about the marketing, yes, but I feel you're letting the marketing bleed into your assessment of the games actual content in ways that don't actually reflect it. The majority of your valid points about the male characters taking the spotlight have been taking from the marketing, with few examples from the games proper.
Quote:
It's possible to both enjoy and be disappointed by a game regardless if it is sexist or not based on all of its other merits. Just because I am pointing out the sexism within Capcom in regards to how they portray their females characters does NOT mean I am blaming my own reservations and disappointments solely because of it. Especially because most of my disappointments do NOT come from gender based situations. The sole reason you would even bring this up is because you are running out of justifications and look to point blame at me instead of thinking back on Capcom's actions and realize that yes, they can actually make mistakes. Shocking I know.
It wouldn't make sense for you to bring up random things that disappointed you in this conversation unless you thought they were sexist though, which is why I brought it up. I find a lot of those changes disappointing too, but using them as examples of Capcom being sexist is just ridiculous to me.

I mean, one of your points was literally that they changed her outfit. I'm not a fan of the outfit changes either, but saying it's because of sexism?
Quote:
Of course Leon's campaign went through changes, but it's more than when you compare his personality, his design, his story to his RE2 self than compare then proceed to make the same comparison to Claire, the departure in far greater in her case then on Leon's. If Capcom overshadowing the female protagonists hadn't become a thing for years, and Claire got just as much exposition during marketing as Leon did, and she ALSO had a statue that came with the collector's edition, then the discrepancy between how both protagonists were handled would just be a happy coincidence. But since it's not, it's quite clear what is going on, even if you refuse to see it.
Okay, they changed her campaign more. But again, so what? How does more or less changes have anything to do with one character overshadowing another? Your justification that it's sexist, because they also did other things that are sexist, is more what I meant with circular logic before. You're mixing concrete examples of the marketing, with vague statements about the in-game content.
Quote:
Did you miss the whole "I mention Chris two times through the game and just forget he is the reason I'm here in the first place" thing going on? It's the entire reason Claire went to RC in the first, not some silly plot point. it's even worse on the B scenario when she never runs into Marvin and just mentions him if you find the file. Even if now we know that Chris is fine, it is still a huge part of Claire's story in this game and should be treated as such.
She hardly brought it up much in the original game though. Playing that one I'd often forget that's what I'm actually there for too, honestly. The ending scene reminding me about him was a big "oh yeah..." moment for me. Protecting Sherry was always the bigger driving factor for Claires actions.
Quote:
how surprising that you would think that only if she had been covered in a burka that would FINALLY mean there's something amiss.
As far as "they changed her outfit goes" yeah, they'd need to do something like that for me to think it legit had something to do with sexism.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 05:50   #35058
Johnnay
Tomb Raider
 
Johnnay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cupertino
Posts: 19,189
Default

Vampire lady’s cosplays. A bit quick

https://9gag.com/hot/agBNvx1?utm_cam...ource=Facebook
__________________
I believe, I called you a bitch, bitch: Quinn to Sheila
Johnnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 05:52   #35059
Uzi master
Relic Hunter
 
Uzi master's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,981
Default

Is she naturally that pale, or did she just go overboard with the makeup?

(I mean, tall lady didn't look like she had naturally pale skin to me...)

Last edited by Uzi master; 26-01-21 at 06:03.
Uzi master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-21, 13:51   #35060
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter
 
DragonSlayer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: USG Ishimura
Posts: 6,287
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
And as much as I would love that Ada being the most influential and important character of all games be true, she's simply not. She's a side character who works behind the scenes and sells viruses.

If Capcom overshadowing the female protagonists hadn't become a thing for years, and Claire got just as much exposition during marketing as Leon did, and she ALSO had a statue that came with the collector's edition
Ada probably got sent to Wuhan by whoever she is working for now that Wesker is dead to secure some Coronavirus samples so that they can be mixed with the T-Virus or any of Umbrella's other viruses or whatever new virus Umbrella is working on to make their existing viruses more deadly than they already are.

Did Claire have a statue? The only collectors edition that my GameStop had was the one with the Leon statue had there been a choice I would have picked the Claire collectors edition, it was only by chance that I was able to get the collectors edition I don't know about where you are but the RE2 remake collectors edition was only available through their website and it sold out before I could order one.

Fast forward to 2019 I was in GameStop picking up my not collectors edition when I overheard another customer cancelling one of the two RE2 remake collectors editions that he had ordered, before anyone else could claim it for themselves I said that I'd take it, it was a case of right place right time and I wasn't going to let anyone else take it from me.

The relief that I felt upon getting it can't be described especially as I had been annoyed that it had sold out so quickly, I didn't let that happen with the RE3MAKE.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 22:31.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.