www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 13-05-21, 10:14   #36041
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Someone wrote into today's Gamecentral inbox saying that they hope that the next Resident Evil is scarier and that they thought that the last level with all the Borg style enemies that the movie director thought had ripped them off, was kind of boring as it all looks the same and they're not really scary. So thanks to all the wimps that wrote into tell Capcom they were too scared of RE7.

They did go on to say that they are surprised that Capcom haven't brought back co-op yet.

That person seems to be unsure of what they want from Resident Evil in the first half of what they said, they said that RE8 wasn't scary enough because of all the wimps that were too scared of RE7, then they wonder why Capcom haven't brought back co-op which would make a Resident Evil game even less scary than RE8 if there is someone next to you to fight a horde of Zombies and back you up when things inevitably go wrong.

Co-op in horror games doesn't really work Dead Space 3 is a good example of why horror games don't need co-op, and are better off without co-op, it's better to go it alone against hordes of Zombies and Necromorphs than having someone there to help you as that makes it less scary and less tense, if Alien Isolation had co-op it definitely would have been less scary and less tense.

I took down a massive horde of 200 Freaks single handedly in Days Gone and an almost as big maybe even bigger horde of Freaks later in the game I didn't count exactly how many there were in the second massive horde which wasn't possible because they wouldn't stop moving, had someone been there to back me up it wouldn't have been as scary trying to take out a massive horde of Freaks while trying to avoid being overrun by Freaks.

Leave co-op to other games and keep Resident Evil co-op free, not every game needs co-op when Horizon Zero Dawn was released some idiot said that he wanted co-op patched into the game to make it more exciting they just wanted to hunt robot dinosaurs with other players, that person's comments were not very popular with many saying that Horizon Zero Dawn having co-op would ruin the game.

They should play Monster Hunter World it gives them everything they want and keeps Horizon Zero Dawn free from co-op.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-21, 11:24   #36042
tomblover
Legend

Capcom definitely overcorrected themselves with regard to how scary RE8 is - but honestly, RE's tension has always been less about the atmosphere (which RE8 still has in boatloads), and more about how vulnerable the game makes you feel.

I've yet to do a Hardcore or Village of Shadows run, but safe to say on Standard difficulty, RE8 doesn't ever stack the odds against you. You've got plenty of room to make mistakes, and you can carry more supplies than you'll ever need.

(in retrospect, I wish I'd done my first run on Hardcore - but the balance of Hardcore vs. Standard has been inconsistent over the past few games, in my experience, so I was hesitant to commit to that)

That's why I missed having key items take up inventory space. You want the safe rooms, and the item boxes, because the game's supposed to be unforgiving, and you need room to breathe.

I know RE8 has, like, a single actual safe room, in Castle Dimitrescu - but again, that felt more like a fan-service nod, to me, than an actual inclusion made for gameplay's sake.

As far as co-op is concerned, I don't see the harm in having a two-player mode in Mercenaries, or if Raid Mode made a comeback. The main experience should remain a single-player affair, though, since it's been pretty well-established the fanbase doesn't wanna go back to the RE5-6 days.

Last edited by tomblover; 13-05-21 at 11:26.
tomblover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-21, 11:34   #36043
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonSlayer View Post
Someone wrote into today's Gamecentral inbox saying that they hope that the next Resident Evil is scarier and that they thought that the last level with all the Borg style enemies that the movie director thought had ripped them off, was kind of boring as it all looks the same and they're not really scary. So thanks to all the wimps that wrote into tell Capcom they were too scared of RE7.

They did go on to say that they are surprised that Capcom haven't brought back co-op yet.

That person seems to be unsure of what they want from Resident Evil in the first half of what they said, they said that RE8 wasn't scary enough because of all the wimps that were too scared of RE7, then they wonder why Capcom haven't brought back co-op which would make a Resident Evil game even less scary than RE8 if there is someone next to you to fight a horde of Zombies and back you up when things inevitably go wrong.

Co-op in horror games doesn't really work Dead Space 3 is a good example of why horror games don't need co-op, and are better off without co-op, it's better to go it alone against hordes of Zombies and Necromorphs than having someone there to help you as that makes it less scary and less tense, if Alien Isolation had co-op it definitely would have been less scary and less tense.

I took down a massive horde of 200 Freaks single handedly in Days Gone and an almost as big maybe even bigger horde of Freaks later in the game I didn't count exactly how many there were in the second massive horde which wasn't possible because they wouldn't stop moving, had someone been there to back me up it wouldn't have been as scary trying to take out a massive horde of Freaks while trying to avoid being overrun by Freaks.

Leave co-op to other games and keep Resident Evil co-op free, not every game needs co-op when Horizon Zero Dawn was released some idiot said that he wanted co-op patched into the game to make it more exciting they just wanted to hunt robot dinosaurs with other players, that person's comments were not very popular with many saying that Horizon Zero Dawn having co-op would ruin the game.

They should play Monster Hunter World it gives them everything they want and keeps Horizon Zero Dawn free from co-op.
I personally think that co-op is something that should be available but not mandatory. What I mean by that is that I think the player should have the option of choosing from a single player mode and a co-op mode. That way they can do the game by themselves when they want, and they can do the game with a friend when they want. I like the idea of someone being able to chose single player vs co-op, the same way that they can chose the difficulty settings. I don't know how scary the Resident Evil games are considered to be. All I know is that the only Resident Evil game I've completed (RE4) is a game that I don't consider to be scary, but I am hard to scare when it comes to horror games and films.
Old 13-05-21, 12:46   #36044
Tsarina
Explorer

I attempted Village of Shadows last night, and Jesus. I couldn't even make it past the first lycan. Ha.

I was also hesitant to start my first playthrough on Hardcore, for those same reasons Tomblover.
Tsarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-21, 12:55   #36045
TR1249
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarina View Post
I attempted Village of Shadows last night, and Jesus. I couldn't even make it past the first lycan. Ha.

I was also hesitant to start my first playthrough on Hardcore, for those same reasons Tomblover.
Did you play on NG+ or with infinite Ammo? I feel like it's near impossible to play it without these

Last edited by TR1249; 13-05-21 at 12:56.
TR1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-21, 12:57   #36046
rewak
Professor

Revelations 3 is next year so co-op will probably make a comeback in that. For some titles it works, for others it doesn't. For Village it definitely wasn't the place to throw co-op in just to have it there but for other RE games it's fun.
rewak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-21, 13:00   #36047
Tsarina
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR1249 View Post
Did you play on NG+ or with infinite Ammo? I feel like it's near impossible to play it without these
So, I didn't see the New Game + Option. Is there something I have to specifically do to get this? I had just clicked on New Game hehe, OH! Do I have to continue the game instead of starting New Game?
Old 13-05-21, 13:02   #36048
rewak
Professor

Load your completed save game to start a NG+. My advice would be do your second playthrough on NG+ on Standard difficulty to buy the STAKE Magnum from Duke, fully upgrade it during your playthrough plus buy the 2 attachments Duke sells for it, then that unlocks the option to by infinite ammo for it from the bonus store. That gun will help a lot on higher difficulties
Old 13-05-21, 13:47   #36049
Tsarina
Explorer

Okay so I started New Game Plus, where are the weapons at that are purchased with CP? I bought The dragoon with infinite ammo but it doesn’t show in my inventory at the start.
Old 13-05-21, 13:52   #36050
rewak
Professor

You need to pick it up from Dukes shop so you won't be able to access it until you reach him, after that it'll carry over into any following NG+ though as long as it's in your inventory.