www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 19-08-19, 14:26   #1041
Child Of Ocean
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
Nah, Denis Villeneuve killed Blade Runner 2049 and actually led to that production company going out of business where like regular middle class people all lost their jobs (accountants, ops, tech) so he flops too.

Alex would be great but he's too niche. You don't want a director to work against a producer otherwise you'll see the end result being a mess. Firstly the studios need to be on board with Jumps take on the sequel and tone then just find the right director that matches it.
It's not like they're niche director. They're directors who choose to direct films on niche topics. Blade Runner 2048 was doomed to fail because today's flim business is all about big IP and easy-to-consume films. You can't invest too much money on niche, artistic films. Those studios and producers are stupid for thinking that a fading IP like Blade Runner with 160 minutes + running time can attract enough audience to go to cinema and win back those 185+ million investment. And that's why I admire and respect Warner and Dennis for choosing to make Dune. Blade Runner 2049 is a bloody lesson for them but they still believe in high-budget artistic films.

But if directors like Dennis and Alex choose to direct a superhero films. They're not only going to make them great and stylish, they also can make tons of money from them. You can literally take the action scenes out of of Blade Runner 2049 and put them into a superhero film, and it's gonna be a great superhero film.

Christopher Nolan was deemed as a "niche" director too before he directs Batman. Sam Mendes can direct 007 too. Tomb Raider can be Alex's Batman if he really directs it

Last edited by Child Of Ocean; 19-08-19 at 14:48.
Child Of Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-19, 15:31   #1042
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child Of Ocean View Post
Christopher Nolan was deemed as a "niche" director too before he directs Batman. Sam Mendes can direct 007 too. Tomb Raider can be Alex's Batman if he really directs it
That is also true, but at the same time WB did allow Nolan to do the Batman movie he wanted, and not something mandated. And the "Batman will probably sell anyways" factor might have helped.

----

Anyways, another "way too wish fulfilling to actually happen" for me it would be Alfonso Cuarón. He can do wonders both with lower and higher budgets, and he has experience with both more personal dramas and big, fantastical adventures. And he is great at creating visual identities: he abandoned the look from the two previous Harry Potter movies, and what he came up for Prisoner of Azkaban basically was cemented as the main visual identity for the rest of the series.
Old 19-08-19, 15:48   #1043
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Forget Alex Garland or someone prestigious directing the sequel ... We could have aspired to someone like him in the first movie. The challenge of reboot a franchise from 0 (like Nolan in Batman)... TR might have been interesting for a good director ... but making a sequel to a movie that failed in the US? None of them will be involved.

TR sequel can only aspire:

-Mercenary director (Jan de Bont type in TRCoL)

- Foreign director with prestige who wants to enter Hollywood (Roar in TR or Bayonna type in Jurrasic World 2)

-Independent director who needs money to finance their projects (Ben)

A director with a reputation would never want to make a sequel to a movie he hasn't done. Except if the movie is a great franchise (Marvel, Bond) but if the first movie failed ...

My bets:

-Ben Wheatley
-Female director like Coralie Fargea (her french movie "revenge" was a big success in Europe)

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 19-08-19 at 16:00.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-19, 16:06   #1044
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Forget Alex Garland or someone prestigious directing the sequel ...
Hence my "too wish fulfilling to actually happen"
Old 19-08-19, 16:32   #1045
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Quote:
My bets:

-Ben Wheatley
-Female director like Coralie Fargea (her french movie "revenge" was a big success in Europe)
Coralie Fargea would be a great choice. Revenge was great.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-19, 17:44   #1046
Linoshi Croft
Legend

Quote:
- Foreign director with prestige who wants to enter Hollywood (Roar in TR or Bayonna type in Jurrasic World 2)
That guy can stay far away from Tomb Raider. His Jurassic World sequel was absolutely shocking, and he openly admits he wanted to make a gothic style movie and not a Jurassic Park movie. He essentially attempted to create the film he wanted within another film, which is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
Old 19-08-19, 17:51   #1047
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
Coralie Fargea would be a great choice. Revenge was great.
Oh no not this movie, this was a disaster not even a good revanche story and the adds at the end on the TV was the cherry on top of this pile of cr...
Old 19-08-19, 18:48   #1048
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Bayonne was an example. Thanks to Jurassic World 2 he is now in another league and he would never accept TR2

Coralie Fargea is another example. European director who has debuted with a movie where the protagonist was an empowered and strong woman. She could be on a short list of candidates. I think they will choose someone like Marvel has done by choosing women directors for Black Widow or Captain Marvel. Directors who debuted with small films that attracted attention. They will focus on the movie having more diversity and more women. They have chosen a woman screenwriter again and they will want a woman director to sell the movie as something super feminist. As they have done with Wonder Woman and as they will do with Harley Quin. WB is selling movies with great female power.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 19-08-19 at 18:51.
Old 19-08-19, 19:30   #1049
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Not to mention they just get a 2nd unit director to do the action scenes and leave the drama to the indie director so they brought in the John Wick guy to reshoot Harley Quinn 2020 with new action scenes.
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-19, 19:38   #1050
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Anyway I have been thinking that we are very fortunate to have Alice. I want to see more Alicia ... and that's good. I think she was as amazing as Lara and she is sooooo talent. It is very important because she is the soul of the movie and I think she less intimidated and with a crazier director could give us something incredible. I am really super happy with her.

If people had not liked her like Lara we would have a problem but I think they were right and everyone after watching the movie loved her.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 19-08-19 at 19:42.