www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 03-08-19, 18:37   #951
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellioft View Post
If somes want another 25% on rotten tomatoes (like the Angie films) then go for the pulpy style.

I prefer a balanced direction than another Marvel movie.
The Angie movies attempt at being pulpy was the least of its problems.

Marvel movies aren't really pulpy though. The closest they got to being a pulp adventure was Thor: Ragnarok, which is one of their best movies. Pulp requires some form of self-awareness of the ridiculous nature of the story.

Granted, I don't want them to go full blown comedy. I just want a bit of self-awareness. The writers should make a fun adventure story that isn't afraid to laugh at its own absurdity.
Old 03-08-19, 18:38   #952
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Marvel movies have high RT scores.

The main problem of the franchise is to take it too seriously ... I've said it many times, but the Cambodian part of the first TR movie is the one that best found the tone of TR. A good funny adventure movie I think would be better received than another attempt at a serious and deep but boring movie without interest.

I prefer a TR movie traveling through countries, going through dangerous temples with a lot of action that suffering and crying on the same place remembering traumas of his father. I repeat: The serious and dark reboot arrived late. We are living in an era of fun and colorful comic movies ... what has always been the TR saga until 2013
Yes and I hate that era of fun and terrible comics movies with no stakes at all featuring only powerfull and bland characters with almost no flaws. (Captain Marvel/Black Panthers etc).

Fun yes but technically really bad shooted (the first LCTR movie)

I know they are usually good reviews (even if I cant understand why) but it's not the style I want for TR.

We have enough fun movies planned with Indiana Jones 5/Uncharted/Dora and the City of Gold/Jumanji 2.

TR could be different thanks to Amy jump and that doesn't mean they can do it without globe travelling/chases in vehicules/temples or tombs.

Last edited by Ellioft; 03-08-19 at 18:41.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 18:45   #953
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
If somes want another 25% on rotten tomatoes (like the Angie films) then go for the pulpy style.

I prefer a balanced direction than another Marvel movie.
I 100% agree with you.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 18:54   #954
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

The exciting thing about Amy is her irratic writing of genre mashes. We could end up with something wonderfully absurd or maybe even a hot mess but her track record is pretty good and Evan Daugherty is nowhere to be seen.
Old 03-08-19, 18:56   #955
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
The exciting thing about Amy is her irratic writing of genre mashes. We could end up with something wonderfully absurd or maybe even a hot mess but her track record is pretty good and Evan Daugherty is nowhere to be seen.
I dont think she will be alone maybe Alicia will be behind her back.
Old 03-08-19, 19:01   #956
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Marti Noxon (amazing screenwriter of buffy) also started in the script of TR 2018 and then they changed everything. I am also excited about Amy Jump but until we have new news I prefer not to have hope. I would have loved to know Marti Noxon script.

The only advantage now compared to 2013 is that they already have the actress and the tone. So now it's easier than before. They love Alicia and she will have a lot of voice and go faster.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 03-08-19 at 19:05.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 19:02   #957
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

When Black Panther changed western cinema and yall think its generic
GeekOfComedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 19:02   #958
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Yes and I hate that era of fun and terrible comics movies with no stakes at all featuring only powerfull and bland characters with almost no flaws. (Captain Marvel/Black Panthers etc).

Fun yes but technically really bad shooted (the first LCTR movie)

I know they are usually good reviews (even if I cant understand why) but it's not the style I want for TR.

We have enough fun movies planned with Indiana Jones 5/Uncharted/Dora and the City of Gold/Jumanji 2.

TR could be different thanks to Amy jump and that doesn't mean they can do it without globe travelling/chases in vehicules/temples or tombs.
The thing is, those movies (Marvel, Jumanji, etc.) do take themselves seriously. They jokes are moreso meant to hide the serious stuff thats developing. Infinity War and Endgame are both very dark, in what happens, but with all the jokes and banter, you can't even tell.

On the flip side, I think theres potential for Tomb Raider to do the opposite. Have the actual direction be pretty serious, while having a story that doesn't take itself too seriously. Imo, this type of storytelling requires more talent, as it takes nuance.

In fact, Free Fire (The only Jump movie I've seen) does this style, perfectly. Hammy characters, simple, borderline non-sensical plot, with an almost gritty direction.
Old 03-08-19, 19:02   #959
Portugalraider
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuits View Post
Friends, we should be worried about the movie's quality first and foremost.
Of course, but again, besides Alicia returning and Amy Jump writing, we have literally no other information to speculate. At least WB's current release schedules gives us something to see when we could expect the movie to come, and speculate when it would make more sense financially.

Quote:
Okay, Captain Marvel is more than fair, the movie wasn't even that well written (not better than Tomb Raider at least). But Black Panther? The movie where the protagonist has his whole worldview shaken up by the antagonist, which was actually justified in his ideals. The movie where the overpowered protagonist willingly gives his powers up so the antagonist actually has a chance to win, and almost dies because of it? The movie whose message isn't "good guys are good, bad guys are evil", but both "we need to be open to dialogue, the other side might have a point" and "good intentions don't justify bad acts" (both of which can be applied to both the "good" side and the "bad" side)? Yes, it is a Marvel superhero movie, and of course everyone has their tastes. But calling Black Panther just another superhero movie with bland characters and no stakes, it is not just a disservice to the movie. It is just plain wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
That is just music to my ears.

Last edited by Portugalraider; 03-08-19 at 19:04.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-19, 19:16   #960
Grizzly Bear
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
When Black Panther changed western cinema and y’all think it’s generic
Maybe we haven't been so specific but we didn't mean that.

Marvel movies are successful and that's a fact; personally I don't like them but that's just me; we're not saying they're bad movies, we're just worried that every movie will be inspired by their tone because we love variety, and we believe TR needs to keep its own identity.

Considering the source material a movie with the typical Marvel tone would be so out of place, it would probably be very successful among general public, but it will be completely different from what we experience with the games.

Thankfully the first movie's tone was perfect, as a fan of the game I've really appreciated it.

Last edited by Grizzly Bear; 03-08-19 at 19:25.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote