Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 14-03-20, 00:17   #1
caiusmisus

Post Fixing/changing stuff by hex editing the exe.

Hi.

So my journey through all the TR games now landed me on Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation.

As always, I first look up if there are some things that need fixing, some necessary community patches, etc.

I've found this thread.

It contains a compilation of fixes and changes, but the thing is, I don't want all of them, just some of them. The complete list of fixes there is:
  • Dead enemies no longer fade away when killed.(mizuno_suisei/PhantomPain)
  • Lara no longer turns transparent when Looking.(mizuno_suisei/PhantomPain)
  • The camera doesn't pan up when Lara draws weapons. (mizuno_suisei/PhantomPain)
  • The short pause between grabbing an edge and climbing up is removed. (mizuno_suisei)
  • (v1.3b only; causes bug in Tomb of Semerkhet) Lara is now hurt by Grenades--her own and enemies'--and gets set on fire when she dies. (mizuno_suisei)
  • The Uzis and Revolver no longer disappear when holstered. (PhantomPain)
  • When shooting a jackal or mummy that's lying down with explosive ammo, the game will no longer crash. (Paolone)

On page 7, LateRaider lists how to do some of the changes manually through hex-editing the exe file. I did the exploding ammo fix and also found elsewhere what needed to be changed for corpses to stay so I got those two.

From the remaining stuff, I am interested in how to manually include these changes/fixes by hex editing the exe:

I am on the fence about the grenade change and I want to leave the last 2 (pause before climbing and camera with drawn weapons) as is.

So if anyone knowledgeable enough and willing would be so kind as to list here which values to change into what in a hex editor, it would be much appreciated.

Optimally in the format of:
1) Which hex offset to go to.
2) List the original hex values.
3) List the hex values to replace the original ones with to achieve the said change.

Thanks.
caiusmisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-20, 10:07   #2
Locke217

I can’t be of much help, but I honestly was just now planning on opening a thread of similar nature to this one posing the question of how many “trle mods” can be worked into the base TR4.

I remember using that one patch you described. I tried it once and ended up not using it because I couldn’t figure out how to fix the obnoxious “delayed menu” bug while having the new exe file.

My dream scenario would be if I could have the relatively unchanged TR4 with ONLY the following additions:

Uzi/Revolver holster fix (Desert Eagle revolver replacement??)
Removed climb delay
Flip out of crawlspace anim
Roll forward while crouched anim
Faster shimmy anim

I assume it wouldn’t be as simple as it is in TRLE to make these changes. Maybe if TREP could somehow be applied to base TR4...
Locke217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-20, 00:46   #3
mizuno_suisei

Hey these were my patches.

Get TREP and an unmodified TRLE exe. Make your changes and hex compare as you go. That's how I did it. I only recommend making one change at a time. Keep a copy of that orig exe so you dont accidentally change it. Keep copying it and recycling as you make each update via TREP and compare those exes.

The TRLE offsets are obviously not the same as TR4s - so you have to use nearby hexes to find the right area..most of them were quite easy to find but some werent. This is as far as my skillset goes with this....I just look at that jumbled binary text area and then try and find it's near twin inside TR4s exe. I normally have to search including some hex digits before and after the "changed ones" to find their TR4 spot.

Be very cautious of enabling extended tomb4 size in TREP - this makes the eventual hex compare much harder as the exe is much bigger because of it.

The only DRACO patch (requiring extend tomb4 size) I managed to port into TR4 (and also TR23 and 5) is the experimental 60fps patch.

For the things you want though, are all available in the default areas.

I hope that sums it up well, I use Hex Workshop and use the bookmarks feature to keep track of what offset is what as I find them during porting.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-20, 00:51   #4
mizuno_suisei

Unfortunately TRLE and TR4 are vastly different - same goes with the Times exclusive exe. Why all 3 are so different we dont really know- so for that reason TREP will never be directly compatible with TR4 until a really good programmer in the future may appease the fans with a TREP style GUI editor for the classics

Proof in what I've done that there are many things you can change via referencing TREP changes to the exe! I've used it to make "easier" and "harder" versions of TR12345 by making Laras weapons strength either stronger or weaker (a polite nod to the japanese playstation TR games which were notably more easy in shootouts!). That was all thanks to TREP too.

TREP is obsolete for building but damn I love it and I still use it regularly just for the purpose of making changes in TR4 and the other games. Learning is growing?
Old 16-03-20, 02:54   #5
caiusmisus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
Hey these were my patches.

Get TREP and an unmodified TRLE exe. Make your changes and hex compare as you go. That's how I did it. I only recommend making one change at a time. Keep a copy of that orig exe so you dont accidentally change it. Keep copying it and recycling as you make each update via TREP and compare those exes.

The TRLE offsets are obviously not the same as TR4s - so you have to use nearby hexes to find the right area..most of them were quite easy to find but some werent. This is as far as my skillset goes with this....I just look at that jumbled binary text area and then try and find it's near twin inside TR4s exe. I normally have to search including some hex digits before and after the "changed ones" to find their TR4 spot.

Be very cautious of enabling extended tomb4 size in TREP - this makes the eventual hex compare much harder as the exe is much bigger because of it.
I might actually try this. Thanks for the tip.

2 things though.

1) Which version of TREP should I download? The v. 0.76 rev. 5-rb?

2) I assume TRLE is Tomb Raider level editor? Do you mean the exe of the editor or something else? I also never touched it before so it would be a lot of trial and error. Still, I'm willing to try but I can't seem to find a download for a Win 10 compatible version...

If the procedure you described will allow me to find what to change into what in the TR4 exe to achieve the 2 things in bold in the OP, that is all I'm after. Will be a lot of alchemy on my part since I never touched TREP nor TRLE before but hopefully I manage...

Last edited by caiusmisus; 16-03-20 at 03:02.
Old 31-03-20, 14:13   #6
Locke217

Hey there, if I may do a small bump, I wanted to know how I would go about applying MOST of the features of this mod, but removing some. I saw page 7 of the original thread which showed the addresses of certain features, but I’m not even sure how to apply that information.

I pretty much want all the features of the “no grenade fix” version but with the camera tweaks removed entirely. I don’t really understand the camera feature since it stops the camera from pointing at enemies when lara aims her guns, which is only a downside as far as I can see.

Honestly the part of the mod that matters most to me is the climb up delay fix, so I’ll try to just change that one part of the hex.

Update: I've gotten the fast climb up patch to work with no other changes to the steam tomb4.exe, but I'm curious as to how I would go about adding in the revolver and uzi holster stuff?

I've seen some versions of the mod where it replaces all the data files in the TR4 installation, but supposedly it can also be done with hex editing?

Last edited by Locke217; 02-04-20 at 21:36.
Locke217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 02:52   #7
jcdbm
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiusmisus View Post
On page 7, LateRaider lists how to do some of the changes manually through hex-editing the exe file. I did the exploding ammo fix and also found elsewhere what needed to be changed for corpses to stay so I got those two.

From the remaining stuff, I am interested in how to manually include these changes/fixes by hex editing the exe:
Hi, I am attempting to apply similar fixes to my own TR4 executable, namely disabling disappearing corpses and disabling transparency when looking.

I'd be very thankful if you could provide the hex offset and values for the corpses. Also, by any chance, were you able to find the hex offset and values for the transparency?
jcdbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 10:16   #8
mizuno_suisei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke217 View Post
Hey there, if I may do a small bump, I wanted to know how I would go about applying MOST of the features of this mod, but removing some. I saw page 7 of the original thread which showed the addresses of certain features, but I’m not even sure how to apply that information.

I pretty much want all the features of the “no grenade fix” version but with the camera tweaks removed entirely. I don’t really understand the camera feature since it stops the camera from pointing at enemies when lara aims her guns, which is only a downside as far as I can see.

Honestly the part of the mod that matters most to me is the climb up delay fix, so I’ll try to just change that one part of the hex.

Update: I've gotten the fast climb up patch to work with no other changes to the steam tomb4.exe, but I'm curious as to how I would go about adding in the revolver and uzi holster stuff?

I've seen some versions of the mod where it replaces all the data files in the TR4 installation, but supposedly it can also be done with hex editing?
You don't need to add the physical holsters for uzi/rev - they're already there. the engine just doesn't draw them.

The "Fix holsters" checkbox is the only checkbox you need and can then be hexed over to TR4.

For example, the only reason you'd need to edit individual level files to fix any bugs is, maybe to add a Strap texture to her legs for the holsters? they were oddly not present in TR4.

All other bugs (well, most) are fixable via TREP then hexed over

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 06-04-20 at 10:18.
Old 08-04-20, 17:12   #9
BlueCake
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke217 View Post
Faster shimmy anim
That's possible if you somehow edited every single .TR4 file and inserted the faster shimmey animation, actually, the same can be done for all the classics.
Here's how i'd do it:
1- Edit the shimmy animation using Wadmeger.
2- Compile it into a TR4 level using TRLE.
3- Use Fexmerger to copy the modified LARA to TR4.

You can pretty much change any animation or object with this method.

Last edited by BlueCake; 08-04-20 at 17:16.
BlueCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-20, 23:30   #10
caiusmisus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdbm View Post
Hi, I am attempting to apply similar fixes to my own TR4 executable, namely disabling disappearing corpses and disabling transparency when looking.

I'd be very thankful if you could provide the hex offset and values for the corpses. Also, by any chance, were you able to find the hex offset and values for the transparency?
Sorry for the late response.

IIRC, I disabled the disappearing corpses by following this page:
https://www.tombraiderforums.com/arc.../t-210149.html

Lumberjack lists the address and what you need to change.

I still haven't got around to re-playing TR4. But I will probably get back to the series soon-ish. Might try to figure out the transparency and holstered weapons in the coming weeks. Or just play through without it, not sure yet.

Last edited by caiusmisus; 27-07-20 at 23:31.