www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 16-04-20, 12:40   #1171
indigo1993
Hobbyist

ALSO, if in the future you take on another TR remaster project, pretty pretty please do TR 2. I know it has the mobile textures and such but the work done really didn't do the game any justice and TR2 is just so incredibly diverse and memorable. Playing the Tibetan levels today brings me the same joy it did back when I was 7 years old and first got the game xD 😍😍😍😍😍😍
Old 16-04-20, 13:22   #1172
Reggie
Tomb Raider

I'm planning to remaster TR2 and am currently in the process of remastering Barkhang Monastery. Maybe though, like with Tomb Raider 1, multiple remasters of different styles can co-exist.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-20, 16:09   #1173
GiovanniLucca
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
Do you think we could have a little preview video of Nevada at some point Giovanni? It is looking really good!
For sure! I just want to solve the problem with the water animations, since Nevada has a lot of water, and them I can release a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo1993 View Post
I am so thrilled to see how it's all coming along! It's truly a work of art!! Btw I was wondering this morning if your new water textures will be applied to other levels, like the ones you've finished in the Pacific Islands. I'm just thinking how that'd look like on the first level where you start at the beach xD
I know each body of water has its own peculiarities and color scheme, but I what I meant was the new effect you've created
Thank you so much for the motivation

And yes! water was always something that I wish to improve more, now that I finded a way, for sure all the levels will bennefit from it... And for Coastal village I have somenthing ambiscious on mind: do waves on the coast line, and caustics on the ocean floor.

Quote:
ALSO, if in the future you take on another TR remaster project, pretty pretty please do TR 2. I know it has the mobile textures and such but the work done really didn't do the game any justice and TR2 is just so incredibly diverse and memorable. Playing the Tibetan levels today brings me the same joy it did back when I was 7 years old and first got the game xD ������������
Can you believe that the only TR game that I did not finished was TR2?

I played half of the game and then I don't know way I never continued...

But answering your question, even I would love to do a remaster of all classics, but as I said in a post before, it is a LOT of work, and I don't know if I'll do another one. I think I prefer to work on my own game, maybe with a grid based design as the classics. With my own game I can sell it and maybe receive some financial gains of all the work. The same I can't do in a TR remaster.

Last edited by GiovanniLucca; 16-04-20 at 16:10.
GiovanniLucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-20, 16:17   #1174
TR1249
Archaeologist

Can I marry you? This project is just so gorgeous
Old 16-04-20, 21:38   #1175
pawelek115
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovanniLucca View Post
Indeed modding old TR games is a bit frustrating because of some limitations. I'm having trouble to fully implement the new water system, the water desn't show on both sides of the geometry resulting on not seeing the water at all when you're underwater... But I'm hoping that I can find a solution for that.

Resident Evil is my second favourite franchise. I love the 3 first games, and indeed the Seamless HD Project is breathtaking. I loved it.

TRJTA and I are working on different things, while I'm creating all the remastered textures and the overhal direction of the project, he is adding more geometry to the levels, fine tunning the lighting and implementing new features.

The next release will be the final version of all India levels.

It is almost done, but I don't have a release date yet.

I want to make it a big release, with a new website with informations about the project and of course download link. I'm working on a installer that will make the process to use the remaster a lot easy, and will eliminate almost all the problems while configuring Peixoto Patch.

Making a remaster is something that is very time consuming, even more the way that I'm doing, being very careful with all small details.

I wish I can finish the project by the end of this year... I have already done all the base textures of India, South Pacific and half of Nevada...

Now I'm revisiting these textures implementing new features like bump mapping, wetness, and depth. I'm doing this by rendering all the textures in a 3D program (Blender) using a method called Physically based rendering PBR. This is improving a lot the overhal look.

Being said that, I don't know if after I finishing this project I'll have the energy and drive to make another remaster. I have a big desire to do the same treatment to TRIV that is my seconf favourite... But, let the future decide that!

Sample of the new textures:
Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

Peixoto was useful for HD textures for TR2 and TR3, as well as the correct operation of Re1 and Re 2 version of Pc on Win10.
Of course, Re 2 and Re 3 are best played by the Dolphin emulator version Gamecube + Seamless HD Project versions.

I love Re 2 1998 and Re remake 2002 most, which had a remaster in 2015.
But I like the rest of the parts except 5 and 6.

From the Tomb Raider series I have the biggest weakness for TR 1 and TR 2, but I also like TR 3 very much, Lost Artifact and TR 4.

If you create HD textures for the whole TR 3, it's a big deal. However, TR 4 is much longer and will be more difficult.
TR 3 has 20 levels. The lost artifact has 6 levels. TR 4 above 30. But quite a few short ones.

Last edited by pawelek115; 16-04-20 at 21:40.
pawelek115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-20, 11:37   #1176
indigo1993
Hobbyist

Quote:
Thank you so much for the motivation

And yes! water was always something that I wish to improve more, now that I finded a way, for sure all the levels will bennefit from it... And for Coastal village I have somenthing ambiscious on mind: do waves on the coast line, and caustics on the ocean floor.

Can you believe that the only TR game that I did not finished was TR2?

I played half of the game and then I don't know way I never continued...

But answering your question, even I would love to do a remaster of all classics, but as I said in a post before, it is a LOT of work, and I don't know if I'll do another one. I think I prefer to work on my own game, maybe with a grid based design as the classics. With my own game I can sell it and maybe receive some financial gains of all the work. The same I can't do in a TR remaster.
Omg I'm so happy! I can't wait to see how it will all come along, honestly it gives me butterflies in my stomach to think we will all be having the chance to play this game with updated visuals.
And that's fine I totally get it! Both TR2 (and especially 4) are really long games and I'd already be feeling tired just at the thought of touching these games to mod them 😂better focus on this one project for now and then move on to new things once it's all done.

Curiously, TRIII is the only TR game I don't know how to play "blindly" and that I haven't completed without skipping some levels (I really dislike the London levels 🙈&#128586. But India, the south pacific and to an extent Nevada (I praise core for trying to make Lara stealthy but the engine really wasn't built for that) are too beautiful and fun to play for me to disregard it. The south Pacific levels are by faaaaaaar some of my all time favourite tomb raider levels to play, including that stupid kayak that hardly moves 😂😍
Old 17-04-20, 11:39   #1177
indigo1993
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I'm planning to remaster TR2 and am currently in the process of remastering Barkhang Monastery. Maybe though, like with Tomb Raider 1, multiple remasters of different styles can co-exist.
That's amazing! I really love the background mountains on your demo and the water has a thing to it that makes it look.. frigid, which is what I'd assume the water to feel like in freaking Tibet hahah. Great work! I'm gonna start following this project too!
Old 17-04-20, 15:26   #1178
CelticGuard
Archaeologist

Quote:
Thank you so much! <3
Here it is!

A small preview of the new water effects:
Oh my God! This is absolutely stunning! Thank you for the great work! 😲

can't wait to replay TR3 when this is released!
CelticGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-20, 15:39   #1179
pawelek115
Hobbyist

Quote:
ALSO, if in the future you take on another TR remaster project, pretty pretty please do TR 2. I know it has the mobile textures and such but the work done really didn't do the game any justice and TR2 is just so incredibly diverse and memorable. Playing the Tibetan levels today brings me the same joy it did back when I was 7 years old and first got the game xD ������������
I share your love for TR2. I equally love TR1 and TR2
TR2 crushes Great Wall, Venice, Opera House, 40 Fathoms, Maria Doria wreck, Living Quarters, The Deck, Xian temple.

I went TR1, TR2 and TR3 10 times.
Probably the same number of times Re 2, Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 Night Raven.
TR2 first pass in 1998.

It's difficult to choose the best TR 2 level.
Maybe Maria Doria wreck or maybe Xian temple

Generally, every part from TR1 to TR 4 is a bit longer and more difficult.
I passed TR 4 only 3 times, because I was afraid of coming back through the levels. After many years, when I returned to this part for the third time, it turned out that it was not as difficult as I remembered.

Last edited by pawelek115; 17-04-20 at 15:46.
pawelek115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-20, 18:47   #1180
indigo1993
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawelek115 View Post
I share your love for TR2. I equally love TR1 and TR2
TR2 crushes Great Wall, Venice, Opera House, 40 Fathoms, Maria Doria wreck, Living Quarters, The Deck, Xian temple.

I went TR1, TR2 and TR3 10 times.
Probably the same number of times Re 2, Gothic 1 and Gothic 2 Night Raven.
TR2 first pass in 1998.

It's difficult to choose the best TR 2 level.
Maybe Maria Doria wreck or maybe Xian temple

Generally, every part from TR1 to TR 4 is a bit longer and more difficult.
I passed TR 4 only 3 times, because I was afraid of coming back through the levels. After many years, when I returned to this part for the third time, it turned out that it was not as difficult as I remembered.
Yes, TRII has some gorgeous levels. I think my favorite will always be the Tibetan foothills and the monastery. I love living quarters and I learned to love the deck after I made sense of it xD. TRIV is a very interesting game in the series because of the level mechanic. It's a game I still often get lost sometimes. What I don't like about TRIV is that some puzzles make absolutely no sense and are obscure for the sake of being (like when you had to approach a torch to the smoke detector to open a door). I also don't like the pace of the game towards the end and I ALWAYS forget that stupid last piece that you have to collect in a hidden pyramid to get into Horus's pyramid at the end. Who the hell thought of pushing that rock to a certain spot to open a secret door to get an essential item??? Haha

Anyways, TRIII is special to me and I feel it really has the Tomb Raider spirit a lot of the times. I love the unexpected traps even though my bad memory forces me to save the game every 5 minutes through 😂😂