Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Angel of Darkness

Old 19-03-20, 04:18   #21
Kapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
I heard about that too, but there was also one interview shared by Lara's Boyfriend (the interview is now lost) where one of the devs said the analog stick controls were introduced pretty early in development. So this is rather confusing for me. It's true though that PC controls were made just about few weeks before release.
I hadn't heard of this interview before. You'd that think that if the analog sticks had been in play since the beginning of development, we wouldn't have the annoying 2-seconds-of-walking-before-actually-running phenomenon as seen on PS2. But then again, who knows?
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-20, 08:19   #22
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
I hadn't heard of this interview before. You'd that think that if the analog sticks had been in play since the beginning of development, we wouldn't have the annoying 2-seconds-of-walking-before-actually-running phenomenon as seen on PS2. But then again, who knows?
On the contrary. PS2 analog controls were made early in development and we can see that in the E3 demos Lara is quite responsive. I don't know what happened near the end of the production but they decided to slow her down deliberately.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-20, 22:44   #23
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Ok well AOD had negative controls & multiple bugs. The gameplay was heavily criticised. And those aspects of the game "pale in comparison to 90% of the PlayStation 2's adventure or action-adventure games, and they actually hurt the rest of the game's best qualities", but that the new moves worked smoothly apart from the stealth actions. And the experience turned out to be very frustrating, difficult, and tedious. Now Eidos is certainly the one & only thing that's responsible from that situation as all of the 6 Core Design Tomb Raider games have magically turned out to become as Dui's (the 7th period's) perspective.

Last edited by TRExpertgamer; 24-03-20 at 00:35.
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-20, 13:43   #24
larafan25

The true failure is what happened after AOD. IMO.
larafan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-20, 19:07   #25
Zebra

Quote:
Core had enough control over TR franchise to even kill the main character and get away with it. They tried to kill Eidos most important franchise lol. I think it shows well just how much freedom they were given when it comes to games. Something like this would have never happened these days.

Bad management. They decided to put the new, inexperienced team to work on an AAA title on a new, unknown platform that was still developing. The team was ambitious but had little to no control over what it was doing. Jeremy, who was meant to control the project, instead just run away.

The game ended up in the current condition because Eidos didn't want to postpone release for the 4th time. Fans were already raging by then so I don't blame them for doing that.

Semantics matter. Otherwise we can just as well switch Eidos with Core and it wouldn't make a difference, because it's just a "mere change of name".
They didn't have a choice but to put an inexperienced team in charge of the new project. The experienced veterans were the only ones who knew the old tools well enough to be able to plop out a fifth PS1 game in the time allotted by Eidos. They had to work on Chronicles and that left only inexperienced people to start work on AoD. That's where most of the problems with the game's development originated and it's mainly Eidos' fault for forcing Core to make another PS1 game.

Quote:
On the contrary. PS2 analog controls were made early in development and we can see that in the E3 demos Lara is quite responsive. I don't know what happened near the end of the production but they decided to slow her down deliberately.
I think I vaguely remember sth about the person who was responsible for the controls leaving shortly before the end of the project which meant another person had to try and familiarise himself with the system in very short time to try and make changes/adjustments and stuff? That may be part of it. It could also be that running speed was meant to tie into the skill upgrade system but when that system was truncated they simply forgot to adjust the running speed. Who knows.

Last edited by Zebra; 23-03-20 at 19:25.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-20, 21:36   #26
Caesum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
They didn't have a choice but to put an inexperienced team in charge of the new project. The experienced veterans were the only ones who knew the old tools well enough to be able to plop out a fifth PS1 game in the time allotted by Eidos.
There were at least three other teams working on far less important titles at the time and there was a Fighting Force team which started production mid AoD development. TR5 team was not the only one with experienced folks (remember that Project Eden had TR1-2 key members). They had more than enough experienced members but for some reason decided to put them into lower priority projects instead of the most important one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I think I vaguely remember sth about the person who was responsible for the controls leaving shortly before the end of the project which meant another person had to try and familiarise himself with the system in very short time to try and make changes/adjustments and stuff? That may be part of it. It could also be that running speed was meant to tie into the skill upgrade system but when that system was truncated they simply forgot to adjust the running speed. Who knows.
Never heard of that but could be. I also heard that the faster controls were bugging dualshock that's why she was slowed down, but it all sounds rather unlikely to me.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-20, 01:59   #27
LaraCablara

I'm sorry but look at the controls in every Core game other than Tomb Raider

They were a hot mess when it came to controls and they were in some deep denial.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-20, 08:34   #28
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
I'm sorry but look at the controls in every Core game other than Tomb Raider

They were a hot mess when it came to controls and they were in some deep denial.
Been a long while since I played Project Eden on the PS2 but didn't it have decent controls? I can't remember the specifics but I can't remember the controls themselves being bad.

I found platforming easier on the PC version of AOD, though admittingly that might be due to having to get used to the controls being based on the camera in AOD PS2. (Having the camera to the side and pressing fowards and jump then seeing Lara Side-flip off the platform since I forgot Lara follows the camera like in LAU.)

Last edited by Samz; 24-03-20 at 09:04.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-20, 15:06   #29
paulojr_mam

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
I can't agree more.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-20, 20:29   #30
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by larafan25 View Post
And as if you're with my own opinion then I'll feel very happy with your support with me. So yeah. As it all dramatically did got left all right out into Dui's (the 7th period's) perspective. I'll still enjoy playing all of the Core Design Tomb Raider games and now I am absolutely wondering what will the concept for the rest of the main series will come out like within the 9th upcoming period as we'll finish the 3rd & LAST period start point chart (1984 - 2043) AS WE'RE ALL IN RIGHT NOW!!
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote