www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 01-02-18, 21:19   #7751
irishhips
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by **LARA LOVER** View Post
Do you have a link?
dunno if im allowed to post it here
Old 01-02-18, 21:26   #7752
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

PG-13 movies have been more, how can I say it. It seems the ratings are allowing more content to be shown in PG-13 movies these days. So it still can be good, with that rating.
Old 01-02-18, 21:34   #7753
James_Rutland
Tomb Raider

I suppose games have more freedom to be violent. Because any kid can get a game regardless of the rating, their parent just buys it for them. That's how it was for me anyway The TR2013 game was mostly violent for it's death scenes anyway, which obviously can't happen in the movie unless they want to cut any sequel plans short
James_Rutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 00:53   #7754
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

You know I was thinking about it and social media confirmed it a little but WB is being more aggressive with this than Ready Player One. My feeling is that RPO has a Blade Runner 2049 stigma attached to it and that it'll only attract a small but IN IT'S DEFENCE very hard core cult following. I don't think main stream audiences will turn out to it, I think March is Tomb Raider's month for Warner Brothers and funnily enough, I say TR has a smaller budget.

But it's running a far more aggressive social media and ad campaign and if you examine the international social media pages for WB, there is a much bigger emphasis on Tomb Raider particular in the South America and Asian profiles.

So I mean it's why I'm starting to slowly believe that tweet that Tomb Raider is testing through the roof because I'm nearly sure that a Spielberg Ready Player One is probably gonna be a good solid film, in the past WB always aggressively pushes the good film and hides the stinker I doubt RPO is a stinker but they are pushing TR very very hard.

To expand: WW or Justice League for instance is never given teaser trailers for trailer 2 but Tomb Raider was, I suspect they tried to reboot the marketing campaign. When trailer 1 was released, the film would have only been barely in assembly stage but by the time the marketing department got to trailer 2 it had reshoots and was definitely screened by studio executives and audiences and they were like oops, we have gold and then immediately began pushing TR more intensely. The Survivor cover creators told EW they had to personally get that approved by Beyonce so WB pulled some strings there too

P.S I was reading old posts from like Dec 2016 when they started prepping the shoot for TR and we had no cast members or knew anything about the story but they needed teenagers who spoke chinese - I was SO on the ball that it was for a Hong Kong location where the endurance ship would leave.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 02-02-18 at 00:57.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 02:14   #7755
Ellioft
Professor

I don't think they try to be too family friendly, with PEGI 13 you can show a lot of things if you are creative, a gore festival didn't make a movie more mature in my eye, it's the writing who does that.
Old 02-02-18, 06:15   #7756
michaeldt
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntRaidsTombs View Post
PG-13 movies have been more, how can I say it. It seems the ratings are allowing more content to be shown in PG-13 movies these days. So it still can be good, with that rating.
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

One of the first (the second, first film was Red Dawn) films to be released under the PG-13 rating in 1984, and still contains scenes like this.

idk, I'd say they've been more strict since then, regarding what can be shown with a PG-13 rating .

Last edited by michaeldt; 02-02-18 at 06:20.
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-18, 08:10   #7757
ccroft2003
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Rutland View Post
If I'm honest, I'm not really surprised but I'm quite pissed off about that. Seriously, the source material is so dark and brutal, why water it down? So many successful movies are rated 15 it's not like they have to cater to everyone for the movie to be a success. The Resident Evil movies are aimed at a mature audience (despite not having mature writing) and are like the best selling video-game adaptions ever. I don't want a light hearted version of TR2013, part of what made it so great was how it wasn't afraid to be dark and show Lara go through bloody hell.

Well, lets hope it's more of a "Dark Knight" 12 / PG13 than anything else. That movie had violence but in a tasteful way.

I just feel like if this movie had brutality like Lara shoving an axe into someones head (The Descent style) it would shock viewers who thought Tomb Raider was a light hearted camp movie.

I could go so far into why a TR movie should not be PG 13 but it will bore people. The games have always had an edge to them that make them mature, except for Legend which was very inspired by the AJ movies. Compare TR1-3 and AOD to the second TR movie for example. It was the movies that decided TR should be lighter hearted and more of a family movie. I was hoping this movie would be different.
Bear in mind, this isn't the UK rating... The trailers alone all got a 12A rating for the UK. 2001's LC:TR finally got a 15 rating with the initial theatrical release being a 12A.
Old 02-02-18, 11:01   #7758
Ellioft
Professor

It's funny because in France we allow a lot of things on the screen for exemple Batman The Dark Knight was for all audience.
Old 02-02-18, 11:12   #7759
Mickybyrne20
Professor

So I'm wondering whether y'all want a higher age rating or lower one? Just curious.
Old 02-02-18, 11:45   #7760
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

I'm fine with PG-13. Most R-rated movies of the genre are only R-rated for profanity or because of gore. I don't think this movie needs any of those to tell an minimally mature story. Perhaps a bit of blood (which I'm not sure if they can show or not with a PG-13 rating) but it doesn't need to go to the extents of TReboot.

Lower than PG-13 however could be worrying, though. It could mean a too sanitised movie, and no one wants that.