www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 21-08-20, 03:09   #71
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

honestly the QTE are one of my favorite things from TRL and TRA

~~disappears~~
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-20, 04:43   #72
Felipe
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post

~~disappears~~
The ones in Legend were quite fun in fact. I loved the horrible deaths in case you missed. Specially the plane falling in Nepal and Lara getting hit over and over by the tunnel beams in Kazakhstan. Underworld made a better job disguising then with the slow motion effect, and making it more immersive by placing then on gameplay sections rather than on cutscenes...
Felipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-20, 08:02   #73
RAID
Tomb Raider

This game was terrible and insulting to fans and the series alike.

There should be a proper remake of TR1 with actual challenge.

No white ledges and no ledge hopping
No 'die to heal'
No cut content
Actual replay value where you can hunt for secrets and relics when replaying levels
An actual challenge!

And before I get people jumping at me 'play the old game lol' or 'a remake should not be identical bla bla bla'. If they are gonna change it all and cut out content left and right, might as well make a new original game with an original plot. A remake is what it is. REMAKE - without messing with people's memory. If it is not broken, DO NOT FIX IT! TR1 was perfect the way it was. I just needed a fresh coat of paint, not trimming left right and centre and stripped to the bone.

Rant over.

Last edited by RAID; 21-08-20 at 08:04.
RAID is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-20, 08:53   #74
Yeauxleaux
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
Actual replay value where you can hunt for secrets and relics when replaying levels
It had this, in its defense. Not only with the artefacts and relics, some of which were a reasonable challenge to get, but also the time trials which were fun.

I think it had far more replay value than Legend since it was longer and slightly more difficult (not a lot, but a little). The time trials had much tighter time limits, Legend's time trials were so forgiving you could easily finish a level with like 3 minutes left, whilst in Anniversary it was often seconds.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 21-08-20 at 08:58.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-20, 14:16   #75
puristic jink
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post

~~disappears~~

Quote:
This game was terrible and insulting to fans and the series alike.

There should be a proper remake of TR1 with actual challenge.

No white ledges and no ledge hopping
No 'die to heal'
No cut content
An actual challenge!

And before I get people jumping at me 'play the old game lol' or 'a remake should not be identical bla bla bla'. If they are gonna change it all and cut out content left and right, might as well make a new original game with an original plot. A remake is what it is. REMAKE - without messing with people's memory. If it is not broken, DO NOT FIX IT! TR1 was perfect the way it was. I just needed a fresh coat of paint, not trimming left right and centre and stripped to the bone.

Rant over.
I very much approve of this rant.

Last edited by puristic jink; 21-08-20 at 14:19.
puristic jink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-20, 08:02   #76
PiaJ
Hobbyist

Many of these have been mentioned in posts above but I wanted to make a full list of my most important gripes with this game:

1) The soundtrack is subpar to the original. They were given imo the best soundtrack in the TR series and they only used a handful of tracks and instead added a number of generic unremarkable action tracks which seem to activate every two seconds of gameplay. I was tempted to turn off the music whilst playing the game.

2) The colours are washed out. Everything is gray and boring and depressing, even plants. Not only does it make the levels rather boring to look at, it also makes every environment look like any other. You can’t tell any real difference between Egypt and Peru. In the original, the vibrant colors of Egypt were so stunning to me.

3) All rooms are large. This is a problem, because it again makes everything look the same. Even hallways between rooms always seem to be the same size. In the original game, you definitely noticed, when you entered a large room. In this game, what looked like huge rooms in the original in contrast to rooms before it, look like any other room in TRA. The large rooms is one of the things I most looked forward to seeing in TRA and because of the lack of contrast, they looked SMALLER than in the original. I had to go back to the original to realize that they were in fact close to the same size.

4) I hate Lara’s personality in TRA. In the original, she was witty, classy, and sweet. In TRA she is aggressive and whiny. Lara didn’t much like Larson in TR1 but she nonetheless treated him with respect. Same with Natla. TRA Lara acts like an annoying teenager, openly threatening Larson in the first cutscene which feels like a massive overreaction. It’s as if she’s trying to be a badass by being as aggressive as possible, which then falls flat in the scenes where she’s feeling insecure and vulnerable. TR1 Lara isn’t trying to be anything. She is a warm, likeable person who just happens to love adventure and is therefore a badass by default.
PiaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-20, 18:02   #77
Atlantisfreak666
Professor

The Egypt levels are just so bland in comparison with the originals.
Old 23-08-20, 19:45   #78
puristic jink
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisfreak666 View Post
The Egypt levels are just so bland in comparison with the originals.
Yeah you're right about that I mean its like they looked at the original and thought "you know what would improve this level? we'll take the colour away and make the blandest variant of this level ever seen" with graphics that they had they blew this one big style yas.
Old 27-08-20, 09:08   #79
RAID
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post

I think it had far more replay value than Legend since it was longer and slightly more difficult (not a lot, but a little). The time trials had much tighter time limits, Legend's time trials were so forgiving you could easily finish a level with like 3 minutes left, whilst in Anniversary it was often seconds.
Compared to Legend, yes I would have to agree since technically, there is slightly more stuff to do since it is longer as a game.

But Time Trials are not everybody's cup of tea. IMHO, all they do is point out how short a game really is.
Old 27-08-20, 17:01   #80
puristic jink
Inactive

Quote:
Compared to Legend, yes I would have to agree since technically, there is slightly more stuff to do since it is longer as a game.

But Time Trials are not everybody's cup of tea. IMHO, all they do is point out how short a game really is.
Yes agreed they make you do the same level over and over again to add length.