Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 30-06-20, 18:05   #41
ANoDE
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt_gypsie View Post
The only issue I had with TR2 until I recently replayed it a few weeks ago (this particular section somehow became abundantly easier on this playthrough) was the guy in Tibetan Foothills that attacks you on the snowmobile when you are trying to pick up the key from the once-frozen pool.

Before every time I would play, he would kill me at least 15 times before I managed to get the key.

Otherwise, the only level that I had issues with was Temple of Xian as far as navigation.

TLR is miles more difficult to figure out where to go than any of the other classics.
That guy cost me a lot of time. I was doing a minimum-damage, pistols only run. Had to wait for luck kicking in
ANoDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 19:00   #42
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangle View Post
I do think the Opera House needed an explanatory FMV or something because what you're doing there and why you're doing it is not clear.

If LC had found evidence at Bartoli's Hideout that the Opera House was a front (quite literally) to supply the equipment and men for his illegal operation salvaging the Maria Doria then that's all that would have been needed. But as it is you just have to assume that's what it was all about

First time through you blunder around getting random machinery working, avoiding traps and killing bad guys with little idea what you're trying to do. When you finally get access to the 'warehouse' it makes sense in but only in retrospect.
The classic games in general need this, TR3 probably more than the others (London especially) but they could all use quite a bit more context. I wouldn't want the games to go so cinematic you can't play for more than 2 minutes without being stopped to advance the plot, like the Reboot games, but even as much as a little cutscene at the beginning and/or end of each level would suffice.

Only if it's context or detail that can't be conveyed during gameplay though. For example, I would not want the Antarctica mutants in TR3 introduced with a cutscene, when they can be suddenly encountered in real-time gameplay. That actually gives moments like that more shock value than a cutscene would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egypt_gypsie View Post
The only issue I had with TR2 until I recently replayed it a few weeks ago (this particular section somehow became abundantly easier on this playthrough) was the guy in Tibetan Foothills that attacks you on the snowmobile when you are trying to pick up the key from the once-frozen pool.

Before every time I would play, he would kill me at least 15 times before I managed to get the key.
I'm traumatised thanks to that b-word.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 30-06-20 at 19:02.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-20, 22:08   #43
tomee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I have it pretty much memorised at this point and go through the motions robotically when I play it. Which I think is a little sad in a way, not having to work the level out makes it less fun to me.

I think that's a TR3 problem though. You die so often, and because of limited saves you're going to be replaying a whole 20 minute section when you die, the entire game gets burned into your brain from the amount of times you've been through it.
oh... PC tingz... I end up saving WAY too much. I don't have to backtrack much/at all. Sometimes that's exactly what gets confusing though, since it's hard to keep track how far I progressed when I have 15 different saves across the map.
tomee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 09:22   #44
TombHackR
Golden

Am I the only one that thinks the second half of Tomb Raider 2 is so much better than the first ?

It starts off well with Venice, but then you land on Opera House which is just a nightmare. Then there’s the underwater section which also starts off rather well but when you reach The Deck it becomes extremely tedious. Then after that, the levels suddenly became very enjoyable to play and a lot more interesting, but also a lot more visually appealing (especially Barkhang Monastery, Temple of Xian, and Floating Islands - compared to the entre underwater section which is just the colour blue everywhere).
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 10:41   #45
SnatchingEdges

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
Am I the only one that thinks the second half of Tomb Raider 2 is so much better than the first ?

It starts off well with Venice, but then you land on Opera House which is just a nightmare. Then there’s the underwater section which also starts off rather well but when you reach The Deck it becomes extremely tedious. Then after that, the levels suddenly became very enjoyable to play and a lot more interesting, but also a lot more visually appealing (especially Barkhang Monastery, Temple of Xian, and Floating Islands - compared to the entre underwater section which is just the colour blue everywhere).
For me:

-Great until Offshore Rig
-Mediocre with the exception of Barhkang Monastery
-Four last levels: Amazing, outstanding.

It does become tedious. It's the last of 6 water thematic levels in a row, and Maria Doria is huge.
SnatchingEdges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 13:18   #46
Yeauxleaux

I’m surprised how polarising and even unpopular the Maria Doria levels are on this forum tbh

I really love them. I think they’re eerie, they’re quite puzzle-y, it’s a “tomb” at least in a metaphorical sense, people likely died in that disaster. I’ll admit I’m a little biased because something about haunting shipwrecks does weirdly fascinate me, the doom and gloom of it, but I think even objectively they’re good levels I don’t get the dislike.

The Oil Rig levels I somewhat understand it more. I don’t hate them but they’re ugly and kinda boring.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 13:27   #47
Greenapple968

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
I prefer the 2nd half of TR2; Tibetan Foothills and beyond are my favourite parts of TR2. The underwater section is probably my least favourite part of the game.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 15:50   #48
Trenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
Tibetan Foothills and beyond are my favourite parts of TR2.
This. I love the first half of TR2 too, but Tibetan Foothills is when the game really kicks into next gear and dials it up to 11. And from then on and through to the end is just pure genious class. The best consecutive run of levels in the history of TR in my opinion.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 17:34   #49
TombHackR
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
I prefer the 2nd half of TR2; Tibetan Foothills and beyond are my favourite parts of TR2. The underwater section is probably my least favourite part of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
This. I love the first half of TR2 too, but Tibetan Foothills is when the game really kicks into next gear and dials it up to 11. And from then on and through to the end is just pure genious class. The best consecutive run of levels in the history of TR in my opinion.
Yea.

I always get a satisfying feeling completing The Deck because I know that from then on, things are going to get so much fun
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-20, 19:40   #50
laracroftswest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I’m surprised how polarising and even unpopular the Maria Doria levels are on this forum tbh

I really love them. I think they’re eerie, they’re quite puzzle-y, it’s a “tomb” at least in a metaphorical sense, people likely died in that disaster. I’ll admit I’m a little biased because something about haunting shipwrecks does weirdly fascinate me, the doom and gloom of it, but I think even objectively they’re good levels I don’t get the dislike.

The Oil Rig levels I somewhat understand it more. I don’t hate them but they’re ugly and kinda boring.
I love the Maria Doria levels too. I find them to be the most unpredictable on a NLNM run, but I think their design is excellent.

Of course after The Deck TR2 remains incredible, so they're up against great competition.

Last edited by laracroftswest; 12-07-20 at 19:41.
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote