www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 08-04-20, 11:33   #29661
Linoshi Croft
Legend

Paititi is an amazing location and well crafted. There is no denying that. However, it's simply in the wrong game, and I do feel like the plot/pacing takes a turn for the worse as soon as you get there. Plus, I feel the whole social hub aspect works in Tomb Raider on a smaller scale, but I don't think it should be a key pillar for the series.

Last edited by Linoshi Croft; 08-04-20 at 11:35.
Linoshi Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 13:42   #29662
_Tomb_Raider
Professor

Actually, did we ever got the actual number of sales for Shadow? How does it compare to the 2013/Rise?
Old 08-04-20, 14:25   #29663
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tomb_Raider View Post
Actually, did we ever got the actual number of sales for Shadow? How does it compare to the 2013/Rise?
Last numbers were from Sep. 2018 - Dec. 31st 2018, and the game had shipped 4.1M physical copies.

After this, we didn't get any specific numbers for the game, but we do get an overall of the series, which has been increasing by 1M or so each update - I'd attribute most portion of this increase to ROTTR and SOTTR and maybe 2013 - as the rest of the games don't exist in current gen, except PC, and there hasn't been any increase on the number of owners of the older games on Steam, whereas both ROTTR and SOTTR come back to top selling whenever they're on sale, at least on Steam. IDK about them on Xbox/PS store. Also, there was the definitive edition launch last year which might also given a boost in number of units sold.

Comparison:

2013:
1M in 48 hours (March)
4+M in 5 months (by August)
11M almost 5 years later

ROTTR:
1M copies two months after launch (only on Xbox)
7M 2 years (with PC launch months after XboX, and with the launch of the game on PS4 one year after original launch - so, 1 year had ocurred since the PS launch)

Last edited by Vaskito; 08-04-20 at 14:34.
Vaskito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 15:00   #29664
jajay119
Tomb Raider

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Dwight View Post
Shadow of the Tomb Raider is dead as a door nail. No ones playing or streaming it as thats usually how one hit wonders go. Differently actual good games such as RE3 Remake and FF7 will be having players constantly playing it endlessly.

That is a fact.
Who would be playing or streaming a game that is 1.5 years old but this point? That's not one hit wondering that's just life.
Old 08-04-20, 15:35   #29665
Emix
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tomb_Raider View Post
I think that this is the only official news that we got so far regarding the sales: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=222308 (Btw. this was "shipped", not sold.)

Looks to me like SE for some reason doesn't really want to talk about Shadow and it's sale numbers...
Emix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 17:20   #29666
Portugalraider
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emix View Post

Looks to me like SE for some reason doesn't really want to talk about Shadow and it's sale numbers...
They didn't talk about about sales from RotTR for at least 2 years as well, and it still sold at least 7 million units.

And during 2018 the same a of the entire franchise went up for 7 million units. Even if only half of those sales were from SotTR, it's still 3.5 million copies in the space of 4 months. And if SE was expecting to lose money from SotTR sales, they would have told as such in the investors Q&A meeting they revealed the shipping numbers, like they did with Just Cause 4 in the same meeting.

The game sold fine. Not amazingly well, but fine.
Old 08-04-20, 19:18   #29667
Vaskito
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portugalraider View Post
They didn't talk about about sales from RotTR for at least 2 years as well, and it still sold at least 7 million units.

And during 2018 the same a of the entire franchise went up for 7 million units. Even if only half of those sales were from SotTR, it's still 3.5 million copies in the space of 4 months. And if SE was expecting to lose money from SotTR sales, they would have told as such in the investors Q&A meeting they revealed the shipping numbers, like they did with Just Cause 4 in the same meeting.

The game sold fine. Not amazingly well, but fine.
Pretty much. They said it had a slow start, but picked up and should meet their expectations and that they were expecting increased numbers in the then-upcoming months. The fame did just fine. Regardless, it’s obvious we’re up to a shake up next game, and the report also talked about them needing to change how they’ll promote future upcoming games
Old 08-04-20, 19:54   #29668
Athukraz
Relic Hunter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiannisRaider View Post
Am I the only person that when I reach paititi my interest in continuing the game is just non existent ?
No you're not alone. Paiteetee was a mistake
Old 08-04-20, 20:42   #29669
pharaea
Student

Paitiddy would have been fine if they hadn't shoved it down our throats. Not only was it the main hub in the main game, most of the DLCs took place there. Like I'm sorry but i just ... don't care ....
Old 09-04-20, 03:14   #29670
Spyglass
Hobbyist

The Paitidly hub is really boring and poorly made. Yeah, we have a lot of NPC's and so on. But we can just walk away to the rest of the story without giving a damm to the city itself.
Sometimes I wonder why SOTTR even existed (even the game name is boring).