www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 06-04-20, 14:38   #41
Ewerton Pires
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsunt View Post
Don't reinvent the wheel. TR2Main supports picture stretch control (read about PictureStretchLimit in ExtraOptions). Just select proper resolution (1920x1080 for example) in the 'Setup' dialog, and everything will work like a magic. No need to edit PCX adding black areas left and right, like you did in the original games. Also If you want to use remastered PNG/JPG/BMP/PCX pictures instead of default ones, just add PIX folder with 16x9 and/or 4x3 subfolders and put there your remastered pictures in any format (in a proper subfolder) as described here. The game will select the subfolder automatically depending current display resolution aspect ratio.
I'm using your PCX files. Thanks
Old 06-04-20, 14:49   #42
Lumberjack
Hobbyist

I tested and it's great !

The most amazing thing is that the FOV stay the same whatever the resolution, contrary to the widescreen patch

By the way, how does it work ? Is there a way to do this by ourself for TR 3 and 4 with a hex editor ? It would be cool, because the principal problem for some people with the widescreen patch is that they need to choose different values depending of the resolution.

Another question : is there a way to don't have the pix stretched in 16/9 in TR 3 without resizing them as TR2Main ?

Last question : Is it possible to have the health not scaled in TR2, like before, and to have the original FMV ? (same for the FMV of TombATI please ! )

Why the picture of the FMV are different by the way ? It's interesting !

Edit : "Fixed an issue where the final bath scene is cut off. Now it fades out like in the PlayStation version." - This is great !

Last edited by Lumberjack; 06-04-20 at 15:12.
Lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 15:33   #43
Arsunt
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
By the way, how does it work ? Is there a way to do this by ourself for TR 3 and 4 with a hex editor ?
It's easy. You just need programming skills, reverse engineering skills and 1000+ hours of free time to do hard work of disassembling and reassembling the game byte by byte. It took 1400+ hours for me to create current version of TR2Main. But good news there - TR1Main and TR3Main are planned (not soon, in few years). And TR5Main by MontyTRC is in progress. He planned TR4Main too.
Quote:
Another question : is there a way to don't have the pix stretched in 16/9 in TR 3 without resizing them as TR2Main ?
Nope, sorry. I must create at least basic version of TR3Main for that.
Quote:
Is it possible to have the health not scaled in TR2, like before, and to have the original FMV ? (same for the FMV of TombATI please ! )
Sorry, can't understand what do you want. Could you explain?
Quote:
Why the picture of the FMV are different by the way ? It's interesting !
Because of ffplay video playback engine, which also supports remastered videos (MP4, BIK, and many other formats).

Last edited by Arsunt; 06-04-20 at 15:37.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 15:45   #44
Lumberjack
Hobbyist

Quote:
It's easy. You just need programming skills, reverse engineering skills and 1000+ hours of free time to do hard work of disassembling and reassembling the game byte by byte. It took 1400+ hours for me to create current version of TR2Main. But good news there - TR1Main and TR3Main are planned (not soon, in few years). And TR5Main by MontyTRC is in progress. He planned TR4Main too.
OK. So it's not for me...

Quote:
Nope, sorry. I must create at least basic version of TR3Main for that.
OK. No problem ! It was just to know

Quote:
Sorry, can't understand what do you want. Could you explain?
The health bar is bigger by default, because scaled on a resolution of 640 x 480. But can I have the health bar like before, scaled on the resolution I choose ?

Quote:
Because of ffplay video playback engine, which also supports remastered videos (MP4, BIK, and many other formats).
But it's strange, because TR2Main doesn't add videos files I think. There are only the RPL files in the Tomb Raider 2 folder. So why do the videos look different in the game ?

Is there a way to have the original ugly videos with the scanlines please ?

Last edited by Lumberjack; 06-04-20 at 15:46.
Old 06-04-20, 16:19   #45
Arsunt
Student

Quote:
The health bar is bigger by default, because scaled on a resolution of 640 x 480. But can I have the health bar like before, scaled on the resolution I choose ?
Nope, health bar smaller than x1 scale in the original game is a bug, not a feature. You cannot make it smaller than that.
Quote:
But it's strange, because TR2Main doesn't add videos files I think. There are only the RPL files in the Tomb Raider 2 folder. So why do the videos look different in the game ?
These scanlines are not produced by RPL file format, they are produced by Eidos playback engine made for PC version. It seems Eidos did not wanted to pay money for 3rd party playback engine, having their own bad engine created in 1995. TR1-3 on Playstation and Mac were played without scanlines. When Core Design made TR4, Eidos had given up and paid for Bink Video licence, trashing their own ugly engine.
Quote:
Is there a way to have the original ugly videos with the scanlines please ?
You can rename ffplay.dll to ffplay_backup.dll for example. This will disable new fmv playback. But correct work of the old ugly playback engine is not guaranteed, because it is very unstable on modern Windows.

Last edited by Arsunt; 06-04-20 at 16:52.
Arsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-20, 16:50   #46
Lumberjack
Hobbyist

OK. Thanks for all these informations !
Old 06-04-20, 19:54   #47
Lumberjack
Hobbyist

My Gosh ! You did such a good job with TR2Main ! It's so amazing !

Really really cool !

I love the animated inventory background !

Magical !

The only thing I noticed is with MSAA 8X. When I left the inventory, some red lines stay.

But in fact, I have the problem with some other old games. Sometimes, there is two colored lines to the left and the top of the image.

Nothing to do with your job, which is perfect !

An idea for the colored lines ?

Last edited by Lumberjack; 06-04-20 at 19:57.
Old 09-04-20, 00:31   #48
Lumberjack
Hobbyist

Default A sort of antialiasing by default with TombATI on my desktop PC

I tested TombATI on my Laptop (only a GeForce GT 740M with a Intel Core i7-4700MQ and 12 Gb of RAM) and I got perfectly smooth 30 fps

But... I noticed that there was no antialiasing !

But even with MSAA 8X it's perfectly smooth !

And so I compared with a screenshot of TombATI on my desktop PC !

Definitely, there is AA, but definitely it's not MSAA !

I think that my theory was right ! There is a sort of AA by default with my ATI Radeon HD 4890 and TombATI (I don't know why), it's not MSAA and maybe it's the reason I have droped frames !

Some screenshots to compare !

On my laptop - No AA (100%)

On my laptop - No AA (400%)

On my laptop - No AA (400%)

On my laptop - MSAA 8X (100%)

On my laptop - MSAA 8X (400%)

On my laptop - MSAA 8X (400%)

On my desktop PC - AA, but not MSAA (100%)

On my desktop PC - AA, but not MSAA (400%)

On my desktop PC - AA, but not MSAA (400%)

Strange ! Isnt' it ?

Could it be possible that this behaviour with my Radeon HD 4890 comes from the original ATI renderer itself which reacted differently with ATI GPUs ?

Like a sort of vestige from the old ATI graphic cards ?

Last edited by Lumberjack; 09-04-20 at 00:32.
Old 09-04-20, 04:04   #49
Kirishima
Explorer

Quote:
Could it be possible that this behaviour with my Radeon HD 4890 comes from the original ATI renderer itself which reacted differently with ATI GPUs ?

Like a sort of vestige from the old ATI graphic cards ?
No, for the simple fact that ATICIF is NOT OpenGL.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-20, 09:49   #50
Lumberjack
Hobbyist

Yes, that's true !

But the fact that there is an AA by default with my ATI GPU is something strange... !

An idea ?