Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics, Books and Novels

Old 20-03-21, 22:08   #1
charmedangelin

Default The reboot comics was the best version of reboot Lara

So I've been reading the reboot comics and I have to say that they show reboot Lara at her best. I wish I read the comics sooner.

I can definitely see why some fans ship Lara and Sam, Lara described Sam as her other half. They have such a relationship where Lara is sort of complete with Sam there. Lara is more grounded series type, where Sam is the more light hearted adventures type. I hated Sam with a passion in the games, but she really fills a certain role in Lara's life in the comics that cannot be denied.

Lara herself is very interesting in the comics, I love how she questions herself and actually asks if she is the monster in the story. But then she just says she doesn't care because all that matters is that she survives and protects her friends.

My favorite part was when Lara returns to Yamati and even though she knows the cult is planning on ruling the world and all that, Lara doesn't care. In that moment she felt like the old Lara, like a glimpse of her inside. She gave zero bleeps about saving the world, all she cared about was getting Sam and going home. She just stopped the cult because they were in her way.

It's something classic Lara would do and had done countless times. So far she doesn't seem to care about the world at all, she has a bit of selfishness that's been missing from the games. She also has loads of personality in the comics and the one liner sassy moments every now and again.

It's easy to see how she would become the Lara we all recognize. I thought Rhianna didn't understand Lara, but I was wrong. She understood Lara in many ways and it's really ashame that they didn't let her continue to be a main influence in Rise and Shadow.

If your not a fan of the games, I'd urge you to give the comics a try because they are good. I am very surprised and happy to embrace more Lara and Tomb Raider content that feels worth of the Tomb Raider name.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-21, 22:25   #2
UroshUchiha

I completely agree with this. The reboot comic Lara was actually giving me classic Lara vibes which I was missing so so much in the reboot trilogy of games.
UroshUchiha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 00:47   #3
Portugalraider

Been saying that right from the start, especially since Rhianna Pratchett started writing the comics. And Lara becomes an even more interesting character in the post-RotTR comics.

The funny thing is, while she does feel closer to Classic Lara, especially in sarcasm and wittiness, she still very much is reboot Lara. Especially in the darker and serious moments, it is clear reboot Lara in games and in the comics are indeed one and the same. Yet the wit and sarcasm still feels very much in character. Which for me is even more proof that, character wise, the problem classic fans have/had with Lara doesn't really come from her personality, but from the writers (and, because of that, Lara herself) only being able to fully show and explore her more serious and darker sides. In the comics they are allowed to explore her personality fully, and Lara becomes a much more interesting character for that.

Hopefully, with the new creative director and the merging of the timelines, the same can finally happen with in-game Lara as well.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 01:28   #4
Rai

Comic-S-Lara + Alicia-Lara + Shadow-Lara, during moments such as Eli, camp fire and Una chat = best version of S-Lara, imo.

It proves that there are many sides to S-Lara, depicted in different mediums. They should think of these going forward as they progress her character into Unified -Lara.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 05:54   #5
biscuits

Pratchett's portrayal of Lara in the comics is my all time favourite version of Lara Croft if I'm being honest. She is an incredible mix of funny, smart, scary, relatable, and down to earth.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-21, 11:25   #6
Grizzly Bear

I wonder if we'll ever get new comics or if from now on stories between games will be told through the new anime series...

Part of me wishes they'll made new comics, I really liked them.
Grizzly Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-21, 01:45   #7
JuditePrince12

I liked the comics but apart of me is really glad they're over. The massive development for her character, to then be dumped and forgotten each game got annoying. Now that the series will have more money behind it with actual voice acting and world building, CD will HAVE to follow through with the Lara Netflix gives us. I don't see the comics coming back anytime soon and I'm ok with that. Just give us unified Lara in the series and I'll be happy
JuditePrince12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 06:51   #8
fleetingwells

I’ve just started reading the comics and I have to agree, this Lara is soo interesting to me. Not that the one in the games aren’t, but adding that first person narrative into the foray like comic books are known to do actually brings out her personality so much more. I think those who think Lara feels flat in the games should definitely consider reading the comics. It really adds some dimension to reboot Lara.

I’m about three-quarters of the way through the first omnibus and I must say I enjoy it a lot.
fleetingwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 17:15   #9
TrustyBow

Reboot Lara benefitted more from the comics smaller scale adventures. That's why the premise of the animated series seems perfect to me. Lara doesn't need to be saving the world in literally all her adventures. A show based around her getting into random adventures around the world could open up a lot of possibilities for character development that weren't possible before.
TrustyBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-21, 18:10   #10
Portugalraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Reboot Lara benefitted more from the comics smaller scale adventures. That's why the premise of the animated series seems perfect to me. Lara doesn't need to be saving the world in literally all her adventures. A show based around her getting into random adventures around the world could open up a lot of possibilities for character development that weren't possible before.
More than just smaller adventures, I think she benefitted from narratives that aren't serious and bleak all the time. The comics also allowed Lara to have fun while adventuring, which, shockingly, allowed her to show more of her fun and witty side.
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote