Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Comics, Books and Novels

Old 30-01-19, 11:41   #1
Zsott

Default Top Cow comics

I started this trhead for those, who wants to talk about these comics too.

I started to reread Top Cow comics, turns out, I got my hands on a few one, that I didn't knew about.
Right now, I'm reading one called Tomb Raider: Epiphany.
I try to put in to the game's timeline, but I failed to do it.

I'll put the next texts in white, if you are planning to read it.

Lara is in Egypt, in a tomb what she discovered with Von Croy in the past. In that very same tomb Von Croy tried to kill Lara, but Lara escaped.
Now, she's facing Von Croy's daughter who's after something, that should be protected and long forgotten. (I won't tell more, don't want to ruin it)

There's a few panel, what shows Von Croy (with his cane) and teen Lara , so that could happened after Angkor Wat. What I try to put it together, his attempt to kill Lara, happened before or after VCI (TR5).

Last edited by Zsott; 30-01-19 at 11:51.
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-19, 17:06   #2
NoahCrofRaider

I adore the Top Cow comics. I’ve only read the first two TR Archives volumes, but just from that alone, I can definitely say they nailed Lara in looks and personality, in the Dan Jurgens and Andy Park comics at least.

She keeps herself together, but still sheds a tear and shows emotions occasionally. She’s strong and muscular, her outfits are amazing, and I love her history/backstory. She’s my favorite version of Lara.

I also love Chase Carver. He was such a funny character, and his dynamic with Lara was touching and very enjoyable. I’d love to see him in a game.
NoahCrofRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-19, 17:30   #3
Zsott

Oh, definitely!

Also can we mention, that Lara just slapped a demon? Because he was rude towards a woman?

Old 30-01-19, 18:05   #4
NoahCrofRaider

Oh wow, she really went there!
Old 30-01-19, 18:42   #5
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
Oh, definitely!

Also can we mention, that Lara just slapped a demon? Because he was rude towards a woman?

That's from The Darkness crossover, right? I always loved those silly Darklings.

I remember my brother gave me Tomb Raider: Epiphany as a birthday present, but it's been some time since I read it.

And I totally agree with NoahCrofRaider, Top Cow Lara - in particular Andy Park/Dan Jurgens Lara - really is perfection! And the comics are a really good adaptation of Tomb Raider. While they didn't keep to the games' canon, I think they did a superb job of capturing Lara's character and the essence of Tomb Raider.

Last edited by tlr online; 30-01-19 at 19:57. Reason: Image removed. See FAQ on posting images.
Amunet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-19, 23:54   #6
Erikku

The Top Cow comics did a perfect job in portraying Lara.
I remember being so sad when the Dutch version stopped after volume 12...
And so happy for the Archives so I could collect all English ones in a nice book.
Erikku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-19, 11:59   #7
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
That's from The Darkness crossover, right? I always loved those silly Darklings.
Yes!
I never heard of Darkness before, but I think I'm going to give a try...
Old 31-01-19, 15:02   #8
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsott View Post
Yes!
I never heard of Darkness before, but I think I'm going to give a try...
I used to read a lot of Top Cow comics. Starting with the Witchblade and The Darkness and then all the spin-offs relating to their Artifacts universe (The Magdalena, Angelus, etc...). They built a really cool mythology around these Artifacts, specially after Ron Marz started working for Top Cow and shook the established status quo. That's when things really started to get interesting imo.

After he left, I started losing interest. There was a reboot of sorts of the universe and I felt a lot of the character development was lost in the process. And then a bunch of titles started getting canceled and eventually they all ended.

Then a couple of years ago, they launched a new Witchblade series, but this time it's a full reboot with new characters an all. I've been catching up on it and while I kinda like it, it's definitely not the same.
Old 31-01-19, 17:27   #9
NoahCrofRaider

That reminds me... I never really cared for the AoD tie-in arc. I know they had to work with doing three-four issues, instead of an entire game, but I still wish it was done differently or not done at all. Plus, the little kiss between Lara and Kurtis at the end of issue #3 was really random.

It would’ve been cool if we saw tie-ins arcs of some of the classics though.
Old 31-01-19, 18:54   #10
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahCrofRaider View Post
That reminds me... I never really cared for the AoD tie-in arc. I know they had to work with doing three-four issues, instead of an entire game, but I still wish it was done differently or not done at all. Plus, the little kiss between Lara and Kurtis at the end of issue #3 was really random.

It would’ve been cool if we saw tie-ins arcs of some of the classics though.
I kinda liked it. But I was disappointed that it didn't really follow the game's story - just some plot points were the same - but I'm not even sure if the comic's creative team was in touch with the game's team in order to make a closer story.