Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Technical Support

Old 30-06-18, 11:38   #1
Maverin

Default Draw distance issue (TR4)

Hello everyone,

I've been playing every Tomb Raider chronically lately and had few problems with the first three instalments. With Tomb Raider The Last Revelation however I notice some odd draw distance (?) issues which ruin the experience for me. It happens most when Lara is in large open areas, you see nothing in the distance until you close in and a wall start rendering. It's really game breaking to me, I would much prefer the wall to be rendered or just a dark fog instead what I have. I've included pictures for you guys to understand better what it is I'm talking about. Thank you in advance

I'm using nvidia GTX970 graphic card FYI and have ran the multipatcher as well. Turning off or on that beautiful volumetric fx changes absolutely nothing (thought that would be worth mentioning as I saw some other topics addressing possible issues with it)

It might also be worth mentioning that this problem happens in every level. Not only this one aka 'sacred lake'.

Example 1: Lara can see the end of the map, which is not good. I'd rather want there to be black fog or collision

Example 1 ( continuation): however, when Lara gets closer the wall does appear, it should of course always look like this..

Example 2: the exact same thing...

[IMG]****************/jAnnrd[/IMG][IMG]****************/iOxbjy[/IMG]
Example 2: how it should be instead (all the time)
[IMG]****************/c8PNPy[/IMG]
[IMG]****************/hGRrHJ[/IMG]
[IMG]****************/iOxbjy[/IMG]

Last edited by Maverin; 30-06-18 at 11:57.
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-18, 21:18   #2
Lwmte

It's not a bug, but normal behaviour of TR4 and TR5 engines. Since TR4, Core dramatically reduced draw distance.

It was (supposedly) possible to increase draw distance in TR4 with early versions of TREP, but these versions are long gone and lost. Lara's Levelbase had such version for some time, but now it simply redirects to TREP website if you try to download it.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-18, 08:58   #3
Maverin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
It's not a bug, but normal behaviour of TR4 and TR5 engines. Since TR4, Core dramatically reduced draw distance.

It was (supposedly) possible to increase draw distance in TR4 with early versions of TREP, but these versions are long gone and lost. Lara's Levelbase had such version for some time, but now it simply redirects to TREP website if you try to download it.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply
It's a shame they reduced it.. probably to reduce lag on the ps1 since they just kept on adding visual improvements and reached hardware limitations. I think that this was a serious step backwards though.. Too bad that version of TREP is gone now. If anyone knows where to find this 'rare' version please let me know!
Maverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-21, 00:27   #4
TRSMART

Having the render distance issue myself, did some research and found these backlog versions, maybe this could help?

http://trep.trlevel.de/en/history.html
TRSMART is offline   Reply With Quote