Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Arts and Entertainment

Old 21-07-21, 12:17   #441
sackboy123

Deja Vu All over again would be mine, the loss of Andy definitely changed Prue as a character and made her more determined to never llose another innocent again as we saw throughout Season 2 until it eventually gets her killed in Season 3
sackboy123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 19:14   #442
charmedangelin

I really tried to get into the reboot again as I have nothing to watch and it's just so bad. There was also an instance that was clearly shade towards the og show which really rubs me the wrong way.

They work way to damn hard to pretend to be woke. And what's insulting is how they've basically turned sexual assault into a side skit comedy joke. You have the middle sister screaming on campus trying to raise awareness of something that happened to a student and the scene takes this weird comedy skit where she punches a guy and then she gets detention for it. What a weird scene.

I also cannot stand the older sister who has to remind the audience every 2 seconds that she's a scientist. Like ok, we get it your smart, but it's so obnoxious about it. They also don't act like young women at all, they act like typical CW teens with the teen angst and teen ignorance. It's also ridiculous how at the snap of a finger they just automatically accept the third sister and then the youngest sister is joking about seeing a demon dog.

The tone feels like a super cringe Riverdale spin off then something that was actually charmed. In the OG show they had their moments of laughs, but the show always took itself seriously. The reboot doesn't take itself seriously at all and I have a hard time believing that professionals actually made the pilot episode.

The actresses do not have chemistry as sisters, the act more like roommates then sisters.

Imo if they really wanted to reboot the show they should have hired women in the mid 20's to early 30's. The show lacks that maturity that the OG show had. It feels like a bunch of high school kids trying throw on a performance.

And that shade they made to the OG show, with the little sister talking about three witches dressing slutty was not cute at all.

I definitely agree with Holly when she said that reboots work better when they respect the source material. I really hate how they completely ruined one of the greatest shows of all time.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 19:40   #443
Rai

Hasn't one of the sisters died, so now there's going to be a fourth? How are they going to do that as they already did the surprise sister thing right off the bat. I've not watched the reboot since the first series. I just had no interest in it.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 19:53   #444
Tombraider95

@Charmedangelin

The pilot is just a pilot. You should check out some of the later episodes. Even Episode 2 imo is a lot better. If you think this is bad, god knows what you'd think of Season 2&3. I look back on Season 1 and it's actually pretty good in comparison.

And yeah Macy/Madeleine left the show because of the crappy writing and direction from Season 2 onwards. I don't blame her. They completely ruined her character and other characters in the show. Honestly Season 1 is where it's good and it does actually reference and honour the original. From Season 2 they get rid of the book of shadows, the freezing power, po3 spells, the manor is barely used, barely any power usage, there's no humour, no whitelighters, no elders, all other magical creatures are dead, and the monster of the week type episodes are gone. Terrible.

Last edited by Tombraider95; 29-08-21 at 19:56.
Tombraider95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 20:22   #445
Rai

Wait no BoS, whitelighters or Power of 3? Don't tell me they've made these sisters so powerful they don't need guidance or help? No other magical creatures? Sounds like it's barely even magical.
Rai is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 20:32   #446
jajay119

The pilot may be a pilot but it put a SUPER bad taste in my mouth and made me not even want to try the series. It's like charmed said it's trying way too hard. Prue, Piper and Phoebe all at one point worked in jobs where they weren't taken seriously because it was a 'mans world' and we saw how hey dealt with that. I don't need to be reminded 'look I'm a woman, yes women can be scientists' multiple times, I don't need the need for witches to exist to be tied to the 'patriarchy' etc. I also don't like how the pre release noise implied the OG show didn't tackle feminist issues when they did. It was just of a different time so those issues would be different.

I also find it very telling that the show runner for season 1 left and they had to get someone new in for season 2 which most seem to think was not as good as S1 so I dunno what to go on there.

Its no that I'm against having issues dealt with in my shows... Grew up with OG Charmed, Buffy and Golden Girls etc which all dealt with issues multiple topics whether feminist, LGBT, AIDS/HIV mental health etc but it was all done with a lot more finesse and, without trying to be disrespectful, better writers.

It's like the Adventures of Sabrina Netflix show that aired round the same time as NuCharmed. The first episode was fine, not completely my style but it could have grown on me, and then in the last ten minutes we get into a whole thing about school treating one of her friends a certain way and Sabrina being angry about it because they're trans and they cannot do that because they were trans. Unless I missed something it was completely off tone with the rest of the episode and i don't gel with writing like that. It's why I've also taken issue with the most recent series of Doctor Who as they're guilty of the same thing.

I'm not going to sit here and pretend OG Charmed didn't go way downhill after season 4 and hit its prime by season 3. I probably will give NuCharmed a go once I can find somewhere in the UK to legitimately stream all episodes. But the initial pitch and attitude left a really bad taste iny mouth.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 20:38   #447
Tombraider95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Wait no BoS, whitelighters or Power of 3? Don't tell me they've made these sisters so powerful they don't need guidance or help? No other magical creatures? Sounds like it's barely even magical.
Spoilers...

They lose the BOS at the beginning of S2 and it's kinda replaced by the "Book of Elders" which is more like the original as it repels evil. Its written in the elder language so they have to transcribe it. This is more the book demons want, rather than their families spellbook. However the BoS doesn't come back until they start their own later in Season 3. Too little too late for me.

The power of 3 in Season 1 is just like the original, they work together and use po3 spells. From Season 2 the po3 becomes a super ability that they use for a easy kill. They all yell "Potentia Trium" and lighting comes out of their hands and they stand aiming at the target for a number of seconds until its vanquished. Its boring and used way too much.

There are magical creatures but they all get killed end of S2 due to the story. But the elders and whitelighters are gone start of Season 2. This is what I mean by how from Season 2 it feels like a completely different show. Season 1 actually does a good job of getting that "Charmed" feeling most of the time in comparison.

They completely ruin Macy's character by removing her dark side and giving it to a new character on the show. I think she finally gets it back the episode before she leaves the show lol.

Last edited by Tombraider95; 29-08-21 at 20:42.
Old 29-08-21, 20:44   #448
charmedangelin

The thing about feminism with OG Charmed is they did the show and tell very well. They didn't just tell you how crappy things were for Phoebe at work, they actually showed exactly how crappy they could be. They didn't just say how crappy things were when Piper struggled to hire bands to play at her club, they actually showed how Leo, a man was able to get the band to play at the club a lot more easily then Piper was and Leo wasn't even trying.

Prue especially got screwed over badly in her career. Between the museum and the auction house, I honestly can't say which was worse because Prue had so many opportunities at work stolen from her just because she was a woman. Several times the new boss after Claire left took Jacks perspective over Prue's, despite Prue's extensive education and history on the subject.

Paige also struggle a bit when she was trying to become a social worker and most of the people getting promoted was men. In fact they made an entire episode detailing with workplace sexual harassment as Paige tried to use a spell to make one of her superiors feel the same way she and many women feel with all the harassment and unwarranted sexual advances women get in the workplace.

The thing is the OG Charmed took these issues seriously and wove them together into the show that made it very palatable.

Phoebe didn't need to constantly shout how she was a champion for women, she did so through her actions. Like for example when Phoebe fought for Piper to have the right to breastfeed her child in public and not feel ashamed for it.

The OG show really fought for the audience to recognize, realize, and understand exactly what the girls had to go through and deal with being women in the modern world.

It's crazy to me how the reboot tried so hard to shade the OG for not being all super feminist, while ignoring the ways in which the OG actually helped a lot of women make their voices heard in a world dominated by men.

Edit

They also tackled gender in the OG Charmed and whether or not it was something set in stone or a social construct with episodes like the one where Prue turned into a man and realized that her a Mike felt the same about each other and that when it came down to it there wasn't much that really sperated men and women besides the social attitudes that are attributed to the genders.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 29-08-21 at 20:52.
charmedangelin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-21, 21:00   #449
Tombraider95

I dunno, I don't think either versions did it that well. The earlier seasons of the OG... yeah it was alright. But the later seasons when Phoebe would use magic for personal gain to use against men? lol Nahhh.

Phoebe is insufferable and completely selfish in the later seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
They also tackled gender in the OG Charmed and whether or not it was something set in stone or a social construct with episodes like the one where Prue turned into a man and realized that her a Mike felt the same about each other and that when it came down to it there wasn't much that really sperated men and women besides the social attitudes that are attributed to the genders.

I recommend watching Allison's reviews of the OG seasons. She points out a lot of the inconsistencies, and how Season 4 onwards how terrible things get, especially with Phoebe lol
Old 29-08-21, 21:34   #450
xdesperado_

Even though I am a Prue stan, one positive thing about the later seasons is that the sisters were better balanced and it wasn't just one sister leading the pack 99% of the time. Though the downside to that is the show focused more on their personal lives, and the magic was secondary.

By the end Paige was the most likeable one. (maybe also because I'm the youngest sibling, so I find her relatable ) I stan Piper too, but her behaviour towards Paige always seemed sus to me - I get that Prue's place was taken but even by the end, she wasn't able to warm up to Paige very well. Phoebe just got more unbearable as the show went on, but I do think her & Cole should have ended up together. I never saw the chemistry between her and Coop.
xdesperado_ is online now   Reply With Quote