www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 14-10-19, 09:20   #15041
_Seth
Archaeologist
 
_Seth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: England ♂
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
One Activity: stealing precious artifacts ALA memories from other people's cultures. There is a reason why this clip has resonated with so many people! And I don't think Ryan Coogler is racist...

[youtube]yYwr6Q1Hl_4[youtube]
“How do you think your ancestors got these? Did they pay the fair price?”

GK Films talked about how in the sequel the possibility of Lara finding out her Father was in on Trinity because he was benefitting from the wealth of their activities and that Lara would find out he's not the person she thought he was and I think that would be a really sophisticated direction to take the story.
Did that guy seriously just intimidate and poison that woman to death because a group of people thousands of years ago did something bad to another group of people thousands of years ago, unrelated to them both?

Thieving isn't cool, but Lara never actually takes personal objects in any continuity. Most of the time she'll take a key or idol and return it to it's appropriate lock, in the same area. It's only LAU and the reboot games where she takes actual random trinkets, even then they're so hidden away that no individual people are gonna miss them, and it's good that she gets to take them back to study to be able to learn more about and document their culture in a way that maybe they wouldn't themslelves, which is rather respectful IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
Who would have guessed that the people who think white privilege is a myth are the ones who are attacking the member who DARED suggest TR would be better off with a POC director

Anyways, I don't think POC director will make much difference, as Lara falling down the "white colonialism" angle would need a few things changed in the reboot movie verse for that to happen. Being interested in history is one of them (here's hoping that happens), as this Lara is (yet hopefully) more adventurer than a archaeologist.

And in anyway I think Lara hasn't been really close to that grey line since the classics. Lara has been saving the world from evil organizations a lot longer than she has been "playing for sport".
In at least England, most people aren't racist, therefore there is no privilege to be utilised. I know America has more of an issue with race but it's always struck me as weird since learning about in in my internet life, as common racism is not really a thing here.

Lara helping some South Americans isn't her forcibly taking anything they care about for herself. You're just misreading to such a degree you want to suggest Lara's a coloniser. You're doing no-one any favours. She sure as hell never came close to this in the classics. Examples as to how any iteration of Lara has tried to establish political control over a piece of land, please?
__________________
Seeing Is Believing
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-19, 10:43   #15042
SoraSakai
Professor
 
SoraSakai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 2,805
Default

You’re right but you won’t win in an argument with people who are on a mission to be offended. It’s their goal. They NEED to be offended about something and no matter what you say, no matter how logical it is, it’s going to fall on deaf ears.
__________________
"That's a nice Tomb... would be shame if anyone happened to RAID it."
SoraSakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-19, 14:07   #15043
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider
 
Tonyrobinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Devil's Pit
Posts: 19,533
Default

I've been thinking about how they could present a tactical film friendly version of the original outfit on screen and have been making some mood boards, I think this could work really well in the Syrian sequence if they include it.

https://i.postimg.cc/RZR09rP8/IMG-4959.jpg
__________________
Does anybody really read these?!
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-19, 14:21   #15044
Portugalraider
Professor
 
Portugalraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
I've been thinking about how they could present a tactical film friendly version of the original outfit on screen and have been making some mood boards, I think this could work really well in the Syrian sequence if they include it.

https://i.postimg.cc/RZR09rP8/IMG-4959.jpg
I don't think you need the knee protection.

Basically we all know that the "problem" for #woke culture would be the shorts, and regardless of what kind of short it is, someone somewhere will make a fuss out of it.

That being said, if said shorts do look more like your example (basically short cargo shorts that do not look that out of place on hot weather, which personally is how I always interpreted the classic shorts to be like), I don't think there would be much of a problem. Especially if they don't emphasize the possible "sexiness" of it: I mean, the 2018 movie already had Alicia in a sports bra and short shorts for the MMA sequence.
__________________
If y'all clowns, it's by your own fault. Bye. :)
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-19, 16:43   #15045
TrustyBow
Professor
 
TrustyBow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Seth View Post
Lara helping some South Americans isn't her forcibly taking anything they care about for herself. You're just misreading to such a degree you want to suggest Lara's a coloniser. You're doing no-one any favours. She sure as hell never came close to this in the classics. Examples as to how any iteration of Lara has tried to establish political control over a piece of land, please?
Forgive me if I'm completely misreading this argument, myself, but I get the impression that no ones saying they believe Lara's a white coliniser, so much as they're saying it's pretty easy for the general public to see her that way. Which, is a pretty valid point. With today's political climate, I think it'd be very easy for people to see Lara's actions as supporting old school, white colonization ideologies.

I think it's pretty dumb that thats the case, but that's just the world we live in, and it's something that the filmmakers will have to be cautious about.
__________________
Icon of the Tomb Raider: Iconography Returns for Iconic Icon
TrustyBow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-19, 20:17   #15046
_Seth
Archaeologist
 
_Seth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: England ♂
Posts: 1,130
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Forgive me if I'm completely misreading this argument, myself, but I get the impression that no ones saying they believe Lara's a white coliniser, so much as they're saying it's pretty easy for the general public to see her that way. Which, is a pretty valid point. With today's political climate, I think it'd be very easy for people to see Lara's actions as supporting old school, white colonization ideologies.

I think it's pretty dumb that thats the case, but that's just the world we live in, and it's something that the filmmakers will have to be cautious about.
I should hope the film makers don't bow down to such drooling, pea brained loser idiots who could misinterpret it that way.
__________________
Seeing Is Believing
_Seth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-19, 08:42   #15047
killchan
Explorer
 
killchan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Meme Land
Posts: 887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Forgive me if I'm completely misreading this argument, myself, but I get the impression that no ones saying they believe Lara's a white coliniser
Except for these individuals no one does, but when media outlets or even random individual thirsty for sm fame write posts and articles where they trying to play that shocking clickbaity argument, they share them, and "normies" - those not in the loop of things - see those articles, ther low IQ brain goes "Oh my this is bad" and like it, share it and the clicks keep coming.

As a side effect, companies are now afraid of the backlash, taken hostages by those outlets that, at the end of the day, aren't even interested in solving a "problem" or having a "conversation" because, as a matter of fact, there isn't a problem that can be solved or a conversation to be had with a product of fiction as the main argument.

It's a game of "reading between the lines" played by two sides, where both just want all the money and we're stuck in the crossfire.

Don't give 'em clicks and money and one day they'll understand how entertainment, fiction and business work the hard way.
__________________
"Give me dual pistols, and I shall move the world" - Archimedes, 1996
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-19, 10:04   #15048
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Spain
Posts: 1,781
Default

Joker is the least politically correct movie that exists ... 700M in two weeks. Ok, you keep trying to make everyone happy.
PinkyPromise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-19, 10:10   #15049
Portugalraider
Professor
 
Portugalraider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,307
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Joker is the least politically correct movie that exists ... 700M in two weeks. Ok, you keep trying to make everyone happy.
Honestly, beside the statement from the Aurora movie theater, I feel that the whole Joker controversy was the most blatant exemple of fake/fabricated controversy to make something sell that I ever seen.

Which was completely unnecessary because it was a comic book movie that was generating serious Oscar-buzz even before the win at the Venice movie festival.
__________________
If y'all clowns, it's by your own fault. Bye. :)
Portugalraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-19, 13:48   #15050
biscuits
Professor
 
biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: As away from TRF as I possibly can be
Posts: 4,528
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyPromise View Post
Joker is the least politically correct movie that exists ... 700M in two weeks. Ok, you keep trying to make everyone happy.
It's the Joker. Of course his own flick would print money. Plus any publicity is good publicity. All the controversy and debate surrounding the movie only serves to make it more successful.
__________________
Dear TRF: Y'all are creepy and weird. Bye.
biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 15:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.