www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 10-05-16, 08:30   #5261
Nausinous
Relic Hunter

That's heartbreaking man, what a way to be treated.
Nausinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 08:57   #5262
Shark_Blade
Legend

Disgusting.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 09:03   #5263
Ceamonks890
Professor

So they just brought in Crystal members to view a presentation for Core's version in the hopes that they could salvage something, from what would become completely scrapped work that Core had already spent many weeks developing prior? And just literally stole their entire approach to remaking it without Eidos informing them beforehand? Just like that?!

Sorry, but that's an utterly scummy and disgusting way to do business
Old 10-05-16, 09:06   #5264
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Well. That's just too bad. Still, it's intersting to have more light shed on this.
I still don't understand SCi's business decision by cancelling TRAE if it was really as near being a complete game as has been previously rumoured. I mean, why cancel an almost completed game that they liked only out of fear the press would have a go at the game due to being made by Core? It's money out of the window imo.
If Crystal hadn't already started making their own Anniversary game at that point then I don't understand their decision. But there is always the chance Crystal had already been working on TRA at that point. IDK.

I just wish the uncomplete TRAE could leak already. Or that Square Enix and/or some ex-Core member decided to complete it and release it for the anniversary or something. Unless all the assets and files got lost when Core shut down that is.

Last edited by Trenton; 10-05-16 at 09:08.
Trenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 09:37   #5265
kacpy
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceamonks890 View Post
So they just brought in Crystal members to view a presentation for Core's version in the hopes that they could salvage something, from what would become completely scrapped work that Core had already spent many weeks developing prior? And just literally stole their entire approach to remaking it without Eidos informing them beforehand? Just like that?!
Nowhere in the facebook posts does it say that.
kacpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 10:15   #5266
Jorje Croft
Professor

As I'm huge CORE era fan, I have to say that CRYSTAL's TRA looks 10 times better than CORE's version. maybe this was a real reason of this. they already had Legend's engine so it was easier to develop new game. CORE was creating new one which doesn't look as flawless as CD's version. I don't know whole concept of game and I'm sure it would be flawless but we know Eidos' taste , they prefer flawless visuals than gameplay and experience . but as we have not seen anything about PC TRAE version maybe I'm wrong. I wish we had some materials about PC version.

P.S. I still can't understand why CORE was working on TRAE officially when franchise was already into CD's hands, after LEGEND. of this was before LEGEND? I'm not sure.

Last edited by Jorje Croft; 10-05-16 at 10:17.
Jorje Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 10:22   #5267
ESCachuli
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorje Croft View Post
As I'm huge CORE era fan, I have to say that CRYSTAL's TRA looks 10 times better than CORE's version. maybe this was a real reason of this. they already had Legend's engine so it was easier to develop new game. CORE was creating new one which doesn't look as flawless as CD's version. I don't know whole concept of game and I'm sure it would be flawless but we know Eidos' taste , they prefer flawless visuals than gameplay and experience . but as we have not seen anything about PC TRAE version maybe I'm wrong. I wish we had some materials about PC version.

P.S. I still can't understand why CORE was working on TRAE officially when franchise was already into CD's hands, after LEGEND. of this was before LEGEND? I'm not sure.
You are comparing a poorly compressed alpha PSP footage to a final game... I thought like you, before actually seeing Core's version as what it is: an alpha. Also, seeing the animations videos and such... I have to say I'd love to see a final version of Core's AE.
ESCachuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 10:28   #5268
Boobandie
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorje Croft View Post
It was started in 2004, two years before Legend. Due to be released in November 2006, the actual 10 year anniversary of TR1, which would have been seven months after legend's slated release. We would have gotten two TR games in 2006 had all gone well.

Honestly, I'm not sure if TRAE would have been a threat. I wish it had come out. Being the second TR game that year and an Anniversary Edition, it would have been obviously a side thing. And it would have been nice to have Core's final TR be a success, instead of Angel of Darkness. A good note to end on. (though the final shot of AOD is quite sweet)

Crystal supposedly caught wind of Core's TRAE late in legend's production, probably in 2006 itself, and proposed their version. That's why their TRA came out in 2007, they had about a year and a half to make it.

Last edited by Boobandie; 10-05-16 at 10:31.
Boobandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 10:32   #5269
Shark_Blade
Legend

Click the link to read the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
Very likely however I did read an interview with one of the creators who stated that they felt as thought crystal made their preview of TRA to spite Core and that he felt they stole their last opportunity away from them.
Made me really sad actually
Here's a link.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/0...f-core-design/

It looked far more exciting with different movesets for lara than what we got (Plus she still had the braid hrnng)
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-16, 10:35   #5270
Ceamonks890
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacpy View Post
Nowhere in the facebook posts does it say that.
It was more implied from my perspective than outright stated. But to each their own.