Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 14-07-19, 20:09   #26601
Patrick star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimaldi View Post
We’ve disagreed on this before, but the more distance I put between myself and Shadow, the more I see you’re right. I was disarmed by Paititi at first because it does, at first glance, right some wrongs I felt the previous games committed; it relished in its beauty, boasted sizeable temples and ruins, held far more secrets, and gave us a better look at the community. Upon reflection, however, it does derail the game from being a character-focused, moody apocalypse story to one about a mundane community of people seemingly uneffected by their own story.

And for what? It’s is a technical achievement, one the team are obviously proud of, but I feel like it does nothing for the game. I’ve said this before: none of the interesting stuff happens in the bulk of Paititi, the “bowl”. Everything is segregated into its own hub (the wilderness where you fight the Nahual and find a crypt/tomb, the Belly of the Serpent, the abandoned village crypt, the river where Unuratu is taken, DLC, etc.), yet the crown jewel, where nothing happens and everything from traversal to appearance is restricted, is still the bowl. Why?

It’s something I’ve come to appreciate a lot about Rise, that feeling of seamless travel from the hubs into nooks in the environment which open up into crypts and tombs. It’s so effortless, whereas in Shadow you have hubs that are almost 60% social with only a tiny 40% for exploration in the wild and it just isn’t properly prioritised, especially when some of the tombs and exploration Shadow has to offer is excellent.

I still love Shadow, but I see that their ambitions with Paititi and social hubs were greater than its necessity.
Not gonna lie , I kept looking for signs of white text between the lines

Anyway , you're absolutely right . One of Shadow's main problems is the fact that each "main" location had the exact same build/structure : A social installation , be it modern-ish like Yaku and San Juan or tribal like Paititi , flanked by a bulk of jungle on the outskirts and said bulk houses the ruins . It's so difficult to remember which is which because there's a mixture of reptitiveness and lack of harmony at the same time .

You can even sense how unnecessary some places were , and how forced they felt for the sake of shoe-horning this social approach into Shadow . It feels so unorganic and off . For instance , let's remove the town of Kwaq Yaku altogether and have Lara and Jonah dig deeper into the jungle following the Eli scene until they find the temple/Trinity's mine themselves , the game or the plot would hardly change . Okay we wouldn't have met Abby but she's so useless she served 0 purpose other than being this abrupt love interest of Jonah . Same thing if you cut the town of San Juan with its NPCs altogether and only keep the derilect library with the crypt probably with a few scattered empty abandoned ruins surrounding it .

And of course , cutting Paititi or giving it the Kitezh treatment would've been a 100 times better .

Shadow had some stupendous tombs and self-contained sections like Cenote , it's Paititi (and the hubs in general) + the "social aspect" that puts it down . Such a shame .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-19, 20:34   #26602
Zsott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
For instance , let's remove the town of Kwaq Yaku altogether and have Lara and Jonah dig deeper into the jungle following the Eli scene until they find the temple/Trinity's mine themselves , the game or the plot would hardly change
Ideas like these made me kinda sad, because if I had one expectation, than it was the Jaguar(s).
I thought at the time (because of the necklace sniffing), there's more to it. (as in supernatural)
Zsott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-19, 22:26   #26603
LuckyEdge10

Some weeks after Shadow's release I made this video with all the songs from the Croft Manor section. I hope it can be useful for some of you

https://youtu.be/1suBDs5PAP0

Last edited by LuckyEdge10; 14-07-19 at 22:27.
LuckyEdge10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 04:25   #26604
BearChow

What really gets me is you can’t seem to change your outfit to classic Lara past a certain point in the game. I played through the story so that I could get this to play like an old-school TR with Classic Lara in the jungle with tombs, only to find out that I can’t. I feel kinda cheated.

Can I get around this somehow?
BearChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-19, 05:29   #26605
AntRaidsTombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearChow View Post
What really gets me is you can’t seem to change your outfit to classic Lara past a certain point in the game. I played through the story so that I could get this to play like an old-school TR with Classic Lara in the jungle with tombs, only to find out that I can’t. I feel kinda cheated.

Can I get around this somehow?
Well if your in Paititi you can only play with tribal outfits equipped at the moment. Now if you backtrack anywhere outside of Paititi you can wear the classic outfits as much as you want.
AntRaidsTombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 03:33   #26606
Lyle Croft

I just realized the fire particles/sprites? in Shadow reminded me of the low quality ones from Tomb Raider Underworld
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 04:00   #26607
Jaffa_Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle Croft View Post
I just realized the fire particles/sprites? in Shadow reminded me of the low quality ones from Tomb Raider Underworld
LOL, they do look kinda pixelated, when you watch the kid fall in the tsunami section, you see a window with fire coming out of it and let's say... it does not look good, i think that's the only one that looks bad, but after that the "low quality" is not that noticeable
Jaffa_Cakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 04:09   #26608
xspacedude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa_Cakes View Post
LOL, they do look kinda pixelated, when you watch the kid fall in the tsunami section, you see a window with fire coming out of it and let's say... it does not look good, i think that's the only one that looks bad, but after that the "low quality" is not that noticeable
They are worse in the Howling Caves. The only time fire looked good for me in this game was Slayer’s Gauntlet and Zipacna’s Craving.
xspacedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 16:40   #26609
Lyle Croft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa_Cakes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by xspacedude View Post
They are worse in the Howling Caves. The only time fire looked good for me in this game was Slayer’s Gauntlet and Zipacna’s Craving.
They look noticeably bad maingame puzzle and the floor falls. (it's near the water docks). AND ESPECIALLY the porvenir oil fields when lara rises out of the water with fire behind her. It looks really like copy and pasted.

I'm on vanilla Xbone so that could be it, but who knows.
Lyle Croft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-19, 20:20   #26610
veigafd

I Still dont understand why Lara is using the default outfit in the ending and they couldn't make it Free in New game plus. I mean, maybe the "difficulty" is behind some New game plus code for It idk. But it's kinda ironic seeing her like that in the ending with a bunch of paeeteeteeans around
veigafd is offline   Reply With Quote