Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 19-03-23, 15:26   #1021
AshesBorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Knights View Post
Most of the time, I can't read jeffrey van oort at all, even if I know the words, I can't read the sentences after the words are connected, I don't know if this is my problem.
Nah, you're fine. You know there was a set of images going around the internet with the caption: "These pictures are designed to give the viewer the simulated experience of having a stroke. Everything looks hauntingly familiar but you can't quite recognize anything." That's what reading jeffrey's posts usually feels like.
AshesBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-23, 15:31   #1022
Flame_Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshesBorn View Post
Nah, you're fine. You know there was a set of images going around the internet with the caption: "These pictures are designed to give the viewer the simulated experience of having a stroke. Everything looks hauntingly familiar but you can't quite recognize anything." That's what reading jeffrey's posts usually feels like.
Jeffrey is a genius in a way.
Flame_Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-23, 15:45   #1023
Mani_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilurm View Post
How hard is it to stop yourself from insulting people's character for the things they like? Not to mention making it about gender. Why can't people stop doing this ****?
But thats the thing...they dont like the stuff...that is their whole gimmick.
They hate everything and see something "woke" in anything.

Like the comic sector has a few of these dudes and im sorry but when most of these outrage youtubers are dudes then i cant claim other things.
Anyway, they are complaining about comics but dont read them at all.

Crying about Adaptions of Books etc but the most knowledge they have is a Wikipedia entry and copy/Paste the rants their incel buddies spew.

Like look at the She-Hulk outrage they spent time on for months.
When the character in the series is so incredible close to the comics that its insane how well they captured the character.
Yet these so called Comic experts lost their **** for months over her Twerking and 4th wall breaking...when this is the kind of stuff she does in the comics.

Quote:
None of this is in the survivor trilogy though? The first game is about saving her friends and the other two are about her obsession with her father. She doesn't do this for fun.
She is still Raiding Tombs and going on Adventures is she not?
Lara Croft going on Adventures, taking Artifacts etc.

That the Trilogy took itself too serious for 3 incredible long games when 1 would have been enough...isnt a secret of course.
SE Fumbled a Touchdown because for some weird reason they wanted a Trilogy out of a Origin story that was completed in the first game...but the basics are still there.
Mani_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-23, 16:08   #1024
Xilurm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
But thats the thing...they dont like the stuff...that is their whole gimmick.
They hate everything and see something "woke" in anything.

Like the comic sector has a few of these dudes and im sorry but when most of these outrage youtubers are dudes then i cant claim other things.
Anyway, they are complaining about comics but dont read them at all.

Crying about Adaptions of Books etc but the most knowledge they have is a Wikipedia entry and copy/Paste the rants their incel buddies spew.

Like look at the She-Hulk outrage they spent time on for months.
When the character in the series is so incredible close to the comics that its insane how well they captured the character.
Yet these so called Comic experts lost their **** for months over her Twerking and 4th wall breaking...when this is the kind of stuff she does in the comics.
When it comes to youtubers I've seen some that it's pretty obvious that they rely on spreading this kind of stuff for their income, especially when you see them making 3 videos per day for a single subject.

I don't know about She-Hulk, but Lara isn't like that. She has 3 different versions. Doesn't it make sense that people that are fans of one would dislike the other 2? Especially if there's big differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mani_Man View Post
She is still Raiding Tombs and going on Adventures is she not?
Lara Croft going on Adventures, taking Artifacts etc.

That the Trilogy took itself too serious for 3 incredible long games when 1 would have been enough...isnt a secret of course.
SE Fumbled a Touchdown because for some weird reason they wanted a Trilogy out of a Origin story that was completed in the first game...but the basics are still there.
It honestly felt more like a mission. Even more so considering every other cutscene was about "Trinity this, trinity that."

Didn't CD themselves say this was their idea? Don't be surprised if the next one feels similar. If it does, then people might stop blaming Square for CD's mistakes. It will be Amazon this time.
Xilurm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-23, 16:36   #1025
Rai

Quote:

None of this is in the survivor trilogy though? The first game is about saving her friends and the other two are about her obsession with her father. She doesn't do this for fun.
In TR2013 Lara's initial motivation was to find adventure - she was on that expedition to find Yamatai. While it did turn to survival and saving her friends, can you blame her? It quickly turned to a nightmare where even the island itself seemed against her. Whilst the end game is about surviving and escaping, she spends the entire game trying to solve the mystery behind it all. If it had been a simple TR adventure, it wouldn't have worked as an origin story.

Rise was about finding more proof - the Deathless Prophet, the city of Kitezh and the artefact the Divine Source. Granted, it started out as some kind of obligation to posthumously make things right with her dad and her own curiosity and reputation, she learns by the end it's more about what she knows being enough and not about exposing those things that are potentially too dangerous for the world.

In Shadow, yes, it's more about her past, choices and stopping Trinity, but her whole journey also involves the realisation that she does enjoy what she's doing, letting go of the past and, eventually, about looking to the future, which she couldn't do while Trinity were still in the Shadows haunting her every move.

The entire origins trilogy was about Lara coming to terms with her past, while learning her craft until she was finally ready to look to the future & going on adventures for fun.

Last edited by Rai; 19-03-23 at 16:39.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-23, 16:51   #1026
AshesBorn

I'd like a game where Lara's motivation is just "Ooh, there's a hard-to-obtain shiny that I want. Sounds like fun. Let's go!". That's it. A villain or a rival/competitor can be introduced later on to spice things up. No personal missions driven by family members, friends, evil organizations somehow connected to such family members/friends, etc...

Reboot focused too much on Lara rescuing people and trying to be everyone's friend for my liking. And it often felt like the journey to the artifact, albeit fascinating when it came to the historical side of things, mainly tired her out. Getting there should be part of the fun, i.e. "I want to do this" instead of "I have to do this".
AshesBorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-23, 17:13   #1027
Xilurm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
In TR2013 Lara's initial motivation was to find adventure - she was on that expedition to find Yamatai. While it did turn to survival and saving her friends, can you blame her? It quickly turned to a nightmare where even the island itself seemed against her. Whilst the end game is about surviving and escaping, she spends the entire game trying to solve the mystery behind it all. If it had been a simple TR adventure, it wouldn't have worked as an origin story.

Rise was about finding more proof - the Deathless Prophet, the city of Kitezh and the artefact the Divine Source. Granted, it started out as some kind of obligation to posthumously make things right with her dad and her own curiosity and reputation, she learns by the end it's more about what she knows being enough and not about exposing those things that are potentially too dangerous for the world.

In Shadow, yes, it's more about her past, choices and stopping Trinity, but her whole journey also involves the realisation that she does enjoy what she's doing, letting go of the past and, eventually, about looking to the future, which she couldn't do while Trinity were still in the Shadows haunting her every move.

The entire origins trilogy was about Lara coming to terms with her past, while learning her craft until she was finally ready to look to the future & going on adventures for fun.
Yeah but the problem with that is, it's been 10 years. I think if people complain they have a right to if it takes more than a decade to get something they want.
Xilurm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-23, 19:04   #1028
jeffrey van oort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Knights View Post
Jeffrey is a genius in a way.
I emphasize on being misunderstood. For what theatre is for. Misinterpretation. And so this became entertainment. To me, at the very least.
jeffrey van oort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-23, 21:43   #1029
Moon-Safari

I was going to play COD to see what Belinda's stories were like, but then I remembered that article about US govt intel agencies basically running that game's story and development as shown in that article I posted that got deleted, and I decided I didn't want to be brainwashed and propagandized with pro-regime-change US war machine messaging. Whoever really writes the game, I just hope it's as good as setting up lore like Lost did. But delivers it like Game of thrones middle season numbers.
Moon-Safari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-23, 22:09   #1030
Rai

Quote:
Yeah but the problem with that is, it's been 10 years. I think if people complain they have a right to if it takes more than a decade to get something they want.
I appreciate that people want the original motivation back. But I feel the change was justified for being an origin story that was leading to a point where she could continue with that 'playing for sport' going forward. I mean the origin story was covered over 3 games and 5 years (2013-2018), you can't really include the 5 years since. It's a matter of time before we know if her motivation in the next game is pure fun or if there will be an additional reason. (unless you meant the 10 years to include the LAU games?).
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote