www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 19-06-22, 09:02   #1
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Arrow Interesting Mechanics And AI In TR2 (Are Any Of These Things Classed As Glitches?)

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qjBczidZC0

Welcome to my video, which focuses on some mechanics in Tomb Raider 2 that I've found intriguing. This video contains clips from Barkhang Monastery, Offshore Rig, The Great Wall, Bartoli's Hideout, Wreck Of The Maria Doria and Diving Area.

I begin by exploring what I've described as "safe spots". This is where you're safe from enemies because you're stood on a spot that the enemies can't get to. I assume that it would be obvious that enemies can't get to you if you're stood on spots that they can't access. However, this video shows you that there are some less obvious safe spots; areas that enemies can't get to which you might assume that they would be able to. If you're stood ontop of a closed trapdoor, then the enemies will only be able to get to you if they're able to walk on the ground that's underneath the trapdoor. If the ground underneath the trapdoor is off-limits to the enemies, then you'll be safe from the enemies when stood on the trapdoor. I demonstrate this with the monks in Barkhang Monastery, even though they wouldn't usually be enemies.

Enemies with guns will probably still be able to shoot you when you're stood on a safe spot. A good solution in this case is to shoot the enemies; this usually results in them running away, as demonstrated in Offshore Rig. The space next to a closed door can sometimes be a safe spot; I show you an example of this in Offshore Rig. Being stood on top of blocks usually doesn't keep you safe from enemies; they can usually make it onto the top of the block by simply walking into it. This isn't always the case though; you are sometimes safe when stood on top of a block, and I demonstrate this in The Great Wall.

My next focus is on safe spots and other mechanics in Bartoli's Hideout and Offshore Rig. In Bartoli's Hideout, there is a room containing two windows which lead into a separate room with two dogs, a small medipack, flares, and ammo for the Automatic Pistols (or the actual Automatic Pistols if you don't already have them.) When you're stood by one of the windows, you are safe from the enemies; they will stay away from the window. If the window gets broken then it no longer acts as a safe spot; enemies can pass through it and get from one room to the other. If the other window remains undamaged then that will still act as a safe spot, even though the broken window isn't a safe spot anymore. If you break a window, and save and reload when an enemy is in one of the rooms, then that will result in the enemy getting stuck in that particular room and not being able to make it through the broken window. Destroying the other window will result in them being able to go through the new broken window, but not the first window that you broke; that's a safe spot. Saving and reloading after breaking the second window will result in the enemies no longer being able to pass through it, like when saving+reloading the first time. These mechanics are also present in Offshore Rig, with the three windows near where you have to insert the Yellow Pass Card.

I move onto Wreck Of The Maria Doria, and how saving and reloading in that level can also have an interesting outcome under certain criteria. Near the beginning of the level are three blocks which have to be moved in order for you to have access to two separate rooms. One of those rooms contains the keyhole where you insert the Rest Room Key. Before you make it to the three blocks, two enemies spawn. I show you that it's possible to use a block to trap the enemies in the room that has the Rest Room Keyhole. However, saving and reloading when the block is in a particular position results in the enemies being able to get from one side to the other. When they travel through the block, they initially get sent out of bounds; you see their shadows on the floor. They do come back into bounds; they drop down from above not long after going out of bounds. Interestingly, this does give you the opportunity to trap the gunman in two other places if you get him to fall down at the right spots. You can trap him on the trapdoor in the room with the Rest Room Keyhole. Or you can trap him on the breakable tiles that you dropped down from earlier in the level; providing there are still tiles remaining.

The next clips focus on peculiar outcomes that can come as a result of shooting enemies when you're in a place that they can't get to; a safe spot. Usually, shooting an enemy when you're stood on a safe spot will just result in the enemy running away. However, there are less common scenarios where it can result in the enemy randomly running around in circles and not making any attempt to go for you, even if you move into a place that they can get to. They usually don't run around permanently; they do usually go back into normal mode. But the amount of time that they run around for can vary; sometimes it's brief, sometimes it's not. I show you a clip of a shotgun enemy in Offshore Rig running around for a lengthy amount of time. I then show you a clip of a shotgun enemy in Wreck Of The Maria Doria who doesn't run around for as long. That's followed by a clip of a gunman in Diving Area who only runs around for a very short amount of time.

I finish by talking about the AI of the gunmen from the Venice section. There are scenarios where they will run around while shooting continuously but they don't cause you any harm; shooting at you doesn't result in your health going down. I don't know what causes this, but I do find it amusing when it does happen. In the video, I provided an example of this with a gunman from Bartoli's Hideout.

If anybody has any thoughts to share regarding any of the content in this video, then I would love to hear from you. It would be great if anyone has an explanation as to how/why any of the mechanics highlighted in this video work the way that they do. In particular, I would be grateful if anyone can confirm whether any of the stuff in this video would be classed as glitches; it would be nice to know if it's permitted to use such stuff when doing glitchless challenges for this game.
Old 19-06-22, 09:16   #2
perryloo
Explorer

Very interesting Greenapple968, I never knew that standing on a trapdoor stopped enemies with hand weapons, from getting to Lara.

I did know about the windows not broken is a safe space, but did not know about all the other safe spaces that you have explained in your video. Thanks
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-22, 10:28   #3
TombHackR
Golden

I knew about trapdoors being safe, but not windows .

I would take a guess and say these aren’t glitches, but more Core Design not having enough time to fully program enemies.

The enemies won’t have been programmed to recognise trapdoors, they just see it as a hole in the ground, so they avoid it and don’t come to attack Lara when she’s stood on one.

For the windows, I would guess that when Lara is stood by a window that is not smashed, the tile she is stood on is considered obstructed or solid, so enemies don’t come to attack her, but when the window is smashes that tile is considered free to walk on.
TombHackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-22, 11:47   #4
perryloo
Explorer

Well I have tried Barkhang Monastery level again yesterday, and I must have played it so many times over the years, one of my favorite levels, and your right the baddies do not attack when standing on trapdoors.

It must have been, that I was fighting too much to notice this

Keep the interesting mechanics and discoveries coming
perryloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-22, 15:35   #5
Greenapple968
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryloo View Post
Very interesting Greenapple968, I never knew that standing on a trapdoor stopped enemies with hand weapons, from getting to Lara.

I did know about the windows not broken is a safe space, but did not know about all the other safe spaces that you have explained in your video. Thanks
Thanks, and no problem. Interestingly, I wasn't aware of some of these tricks until fairly recently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombHackR View Post
I knew about trapdoors being safe, but not windows .

I would take a guess and say these arenít glitches, but more Core Design not having enough time to fully program enemies.

The enemies wonít have been programmed to recognise trapdoors, they just see it as a hole in the ground, so they avoid it and donít come to attack Lara when sheís stood on one.

For the windows, I would guess that when Lara is stood by a window that is not smashed, the tile she is stood on is considered obstructed or solid, so enemies donít come to attack her, but when the window is smashes that tile is considered free to walk on.
Thanks for the feedback. Is there anything in this video which you would consider to be a glitch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryloo View Post
Well I have tried Barkhang Monastery level again yesterday, and I must have played it so many times over the years, one of my favorite levels, and your right the baddies do not attack when standing on trapdoors.

It must have been, that I was fighting too much to notice this

Keep the interesting mechanics and discoveries coming
Thanks. There is another thread in this section where I'm posting new stuff.
Old 02-10-22, 14:25   #6
xtimz
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenapple968 View Post
I finish by talking about the AI of the gunmen from the Venice section. There are scenarios where they will run around while shooting continuously but they don't cause you any harm; shooting at you doesn't result in your health going down. I don't know what causes this, but I do find it amusing when it does happen. In the video, I provided an example of this with a gunman from Bartoli's Hideout.
I also noticed that. I completely have no idea why it happens. It happened a lot of times, on various locations.
xtimz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-22, 03:52   #7
Frceghst8.1
Inactive

Thumbs up

Excellent! Keep the TR 2 oddities coming Greenapple968!
Frceghst8.1 is offline   Reply With Quote