www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 28-11-15, 19:28   #161
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider
 
Blackmoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: In the woods at night (female)
Posts: 14,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPistols92 View Post
At that point though, a higher sales number later on in its lifecycle won't mean much since they're probably sold at cheap prices. Publishers sell most and make most of their money around the launch date. I can't imagine retailers buying more copies of Rise at full price when its such a slow selling title. By the time Rise on PS4 is out, they'll be lucky if Rise on Xbox has sold a million, with enough of them at or close to full price.

The PS4 version will already be selling at a loss of around $20 per copy (I imagine the cost to the retailers is even less), probably no chance for income on DLC/season passes, and that's if PS4 players care about TR by this time next year.

The PC version is probably their best shot to make most of their money, that is if enough people don't pirate it like they said they would.
What's your feeling on the money MS gave to SE for the exclusivity, do you think it will have compensated SE fully if things do go amiss? Or, do you feel as though it won't be enough and that potentially this could have long-term impacts on the franchise?
__________________
I've seen... attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 19:40   #162
thabani33
Archaeologist
 
thabani33's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: on the moon
Posts: 1,136
Default

Quote:
So... it's up to the PC people............. they may be able to turn the sales figures around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenton View Post
...We will buy it for 1 at some Steam sale!
I'll drink to that.
thabani33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 19:46   #163
cephasjames
Archaeologist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankrow View Post
After initially selling over 1 million copies in 2 days.
On multiple platforms. The only numbers to really compare are TReboot on Xbox vs RotTR on XBox over the same amount of time, which I think has been done in this thread. While RotTR has not done as well as TReboot on Xbox, comparatively, it hasn't done poorly, comparatively. People just need to be patient and see how this thing plays out over the long haul and stop freaking out now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starstruck View Post
They added Definitive Edition sales in with the regular game.

Doesn't count.
Why is that?

So you wouldn't count Unfinished Business or TR Gold or The Greatest Hits versions of 1996 Tomb Raider towards it's total either?

Last edited by cephasjames; 28-11-15 at 19:50.
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 19:49   #164
TwinPistols92
Archaeologist
 
TwinPistols92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
What's your feeling on the money MS gave to SE for the exclusivity, do you think it will have compensated SE fully if things do go amiss? Or, do you feel as though it won't be enough and that potentially this could have long-term impacts on the franchise?
Considering SE thought they had a lot to gain by partnering with MS (escape Uncharted cannibalization on PS4, free huge marketing push by MS to counter U4, publishing cost paid by MS), I believe the money paid was a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. No way would MS pay a significant amount when the game is only timed with it still coming to PC and PS4.

This absolutely will have a long-term impact on the franchise. It possibly could end the AAA series outright. IF TR on consoles doesn't make the money it needs to, the Lara Croft and Tomb Raider brand could be relegated to F2P mobile games, and SE will spend their AAA budgets and developers on console IPs that can actually sell and make millions. This scares me the most because I believe SE is dumb enough to do that even though the reason for TR under performing is totally on them and their poor decisions.
TwinPistols92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 20:07   #165
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider
 
Blackmoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: In the woods at night (female)
Posts: 14,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPistols92 View Post
Considering SE thought they had a lot to gain by partnering with MS (escape Uncharted cannibalization on PS4, free huge marketing push by MS to counter U4, publishing cost paid by MS), I believe the money paid was a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things. No way would MS pay a significant amount when the game is only timed with it still coming to PC and PS4.

This absolutely will have a long-term impact on the franchise. It possibly could end the AAA series outright. IF TR on consoles doesn't make the money it needs to, the Lara Croft and Tomb Raider brand could be relegated to F2P mobile games, and SE will spend their AAA budgets and developers on console IPs that can actually sell and make millions. This scares me the most because I believe SE is dumb enough to do that even though the reason for TR under performing is totally on them and their poor decisions.
That's a really interesting reply. Personally I think we'll have to see it play out. A part of me can't quite believe that SE would treat this franchise so poorly as to not get huge compensation out of MS for what was likely to impact on sales. But who knows, you know? Perhaps they are focused on other things and TR is minor to them. For sure, it will be very interesting to see what happens after the PC and PS4 launches.
__________________
I've seen... attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 20:17   #166
Shadowmask
Historian
 
Shadowmask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: London UK
Posts: 308
Default

It's funny looking back at some older posts how we had the same conversations when Reboot came out. History is definitely repeating itself.
Shadowmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 20:25   #167
Heidi_w_
Professor
 
Heidi_w_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lara's Flat
Posts: 2,730
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
That's a really interesting reply. Personally I think we'll have to see it play out. A part of me can't quite believe that SE would treat this franchise so poorly as to not get huge compensation out of MS for what was likely to impact on sales. But who knows, you know? Perhaps they are focused on other things and TR is minor to them. For sure, it will be very interesting to see what happens after the PC and PS4 launches.
No way MS paid a mere pittance to get their exclusivity deal on one of the year's big titles. Much more likely they waved their not inconsiderable finances at SE in order to grab market share from the PS4 community.

You're a publisher and a third party approaches you with a proposition to grab market share from their competition at the risk of significantly impacting sales in the short term - you're going to want a lot in the way of compensation to be running that sort of risk.
__________________
Sam Nishimura's shield maiden and pillow fluffer aboard the SS Endurance
Heidi_w_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 20:41   #168
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider
 
Blackmoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: In the woods at night (female)
Posts: 14,540
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi_w_ View Post
No way MS paid a mere pittance to get their exclusivity deal on one of the year's big titles. Much more likely they waved their not inconsiderable finances at SE in order to grab market share from the PS4 community.

You're a publisher and a third party approaches you with a proposition to grab market share from their competition at the risk of significantly impacting sales in the short term - you're going to want a lot in the way of compensation to be running that sort of risk.
Let's face it, if they haven't protected their franchise - which is supposedly the valuable item in this deal (ie, the product being bargained between the 2 companies) - then they are bigger fools than I have them down for. Like I say, I can't quite believe it myself that they wouldn't have negotiated a substantial amount. But who knows... you know? I think we'll get a better feel for everything after the PC sales. If things aren't lining up how SE are expecting them to by then, I think it'll become obvious.

But 1 thing I do think is that it's not necessarily panic stations yet.
__________________
I've seen... attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
Blackmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 20:45   #169
Patrick star
Tomb Raider
 
Patrick star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Syria
Posts: 13,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
I'm pretty sure that it got 8s and 9s across the board. Not 100% certain, though..
Check Wiki . Underworld's reviews were far from being great or even coming close to Rise's .
__________________
"Engage Common Sense" - Jaywalker , 2020 .
Patrick star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-15, 20:48   #170
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider
 
Lara_Fan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Nine Ring's of Hell.
Posts: 14,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick star View Post
Check Wiki . Underworld's reviews were far from being great or even coming close to Rise's .
7.5 - IGN
4/5 - Metacritic
4.5/5- GamesRader

---

Still pretty close I'd say, although reviews mean nothing to me.
__________________
Be Careful Who You Trust; The Devil Was Once An Angel.
Lara_Fan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 20:34.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.