Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor

Old 31-05-19, 17:57   #10241
DJ Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
what if a builder throws a fit and deletes their levels? This is where the trust issues start.
xD

Speaking of which... I need to delete original Cakeworld.
I got tons of questions like "heeeey, whiiich one should I plaaaay"...
DUDE THERE'S A REMAKE IN THE FRIGGIN TITLE

Last edited by DJ Full; 31-05-19 at 17:59.
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 14:01   #10242
Kapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Sounds good in theory but what if a builder throws a fit and deletes their levels? This is where the trust issues start.
This is a good topic for debate. I would argue that a builder has the right to remove their level from download, if they want. The only people we legally give up our rights to ownership are Core/Eidos, as per the agreement we accepted by installing the TRLE (and neither of those companies even exist in the same form anymore, so I suppose the rights go to SE). The community doesn’t own your level once you upload it - though you must acknowledge that parts may be copied or reproduced when you put it out there for everyone to see.

Even with the choice readily available, I don’t think tons of people would go pulling their levels. More likely, people would take down their “first levels” sometime after they have improved. The only prolific removed level I can think of is Horus’ Neon God. I had the opportunity to play it and it’s awesome, but I support her decision to take it down. I never owned the game. It wasn’t a product I paid for. It was a creation by an artist that I downloaded for free.

Just my two cents, but I’m curious to hear what other people think of this!
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 14:13   #10243
SrDanielPonces

I'm all for the ability to delete custom levels.
Heck, I don't know if this is a possibility but I would probably take down my 2 TRA2 demos, as they are honestly just trash to play.

Same applies for TRsearch objects, I would totally get rid of one of my animations lol
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 15:12   #10244
MBog

I m not totally against the idea of being able to remove your work from the sites, but I don't feel it is completely necessary. Also, there is the posibility that someone really enjoys a specific TRLE that in the builder's perspective it is bad and wants it taken down. Then everyone in this situation doesn t have acces to their favourite level.
For example, I would feel heartbroken if the first TRLE I have ever played is not available on trle.net anymore simply because it not being one if the finest levels of that builder.

I feel the same about removing objects, I mean sure it s not the best object out there, but it can still provide a solid base for someone wanting to improve it, or develop it into something else.
MBog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 17:30   #10245
JMN

Fortunately we have the Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/*/www.trle.net
JMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 18:19   #10246
Kapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBog View Post
there is the posibility that someone really enjoys a specific TRLE that in the builder's perspective it is bad and wants it taken down. Then everyone in this situation doesn t have acces to their favourite level.
For example, I would feel heartbroken if the first TRLE I have ever played is not available on trle.net anymore simply because it not being one if the finest levels of that builder.
I agree that I would be bummed if one of my favorite levels disappeared. But to that point, I would argue: which is more important? An author's ability to control the availability of their creation, or a player's ability to download and enjoy that level?

I've touched on this before and I know I probably sound a little preachy (), but in my opinion, the stuff we create with the LE (levels, objects, animations, etc) is art. Digital, yes, but art nonetheless. Most of us build with the intention of sharing those creations with the rest of the community, but the actual process of creating is something we do for ourselves, not out of obligation or necessity. When you release those creations online, you should not give up your ownership rights. Instead, you share them. And if at some point you decide you don't want to share those things anymore (which is ok!), you should be able to.

When it comes to TRLE.net and such, I think it would be best to leave the page up for the level/item, but remove the download option. That way others can still see your work, and if the author wants, they could put a message up that says the work is available upon request only. Something like that.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 18:56   #10247
Danath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
This is a good topic for debate. I would argue that a builder has the right to remove their level from download, if they want. The only people we legally give up our rights to ownership are Core/Eidos, as per the agreement we accepted by installing the TRLE (and neither of those companies even exist in the same form anymore, so I suppose the rights go to SE). The community doesn’t own your level once you upload it - though you must acknowledge that parts may be copied or reproduced when you put it out there for everyone to see.

Even with the choice readily available, I don’t think tons of people would go pulling their levels. More likely, people would take down their “first levels” sometime after they have improved. The only prolific removed level I can think of is Horus’ Neon God. I had the opportunity to play it and it’s awesome, but I support her decision to take it down. I never owned the game. It wasn’t a product I paid for. It was a creation by an artist that I downloaded for free.

Just my two cents, but I’m curious to hear what other people think of this!
Exactly how i feel about this.

We make this for free, on our spare time, as a hobby.
You have no right to decide what the authors can or cannot do with their own creations.

I wouldn't delete my first level, but it has a good score, the story could be different if i got a trash rating.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-19, 22:33   #10248
Dustie

trle.net would save some storage space if people started removing their early, trashy levels
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 00:11   #10249
Danath

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
trle.net would save some storage space if people started removing their early, trashy levels
But that would be good, wouldn't it?
If nobody is going to play them i don't see anything wrong with it. Less things to mantain.
Danath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-19, 03:30   #10250
A_De

If the certain level is being removed then all the records about it should also be removed from the site I guess, even from HOF. That would be fair. What is a purpose to keep there the levels which cannot be downloaded because author's whim? Opinion of many people is more important than just a single one, isn't it? All the troubles start when someone becomes too selfish

Last edited by A_De; 03-06-19 at 03:39.
A_De is offline   Reply With Quote