www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 15-03-19, 01:55   #601
LaraCablara
Professor
 
LaraCablara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustyBow View Post
Given TRA's reception, I agree.
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/t...er-anniversary

Yeah god forbid this happens again.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-19, 14:19   #602
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist
 
paulojr_mam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,380
Default

Anniversary was well-received by critics, but didn't sell so well and I don't understand why. It's basically an improved Legend and yet it sold less.

A remake of the classics would be well-received, at least by us fans. Look at all the fan-remakes and how they're all well regarded, even those that use LAU style. The problem is they're never finished and the fans don't have the pockets Square has, so their remakes probably can't ever reach the quality of even low-budget official remakes. It'd be ideal to hire some fans to make remakes, like Nicobass for example.
__________________
Classic + LAU = True TR experience.
paulojr_mam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-19, 14:57   #603
TrustyBow
Archaeologist
 
TrustyBow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,245
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/t...er-anniversary

Yeah god forbid this happens again.
Critics also loved the reboot trilogy. TRA is pretty divisive over here. I enjoyed it but many didn't and see it as a failed, light remake of TR1. Not to mention it didn't sell well.
__________________
Alright, thumbs up? Let's do this. LEEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYY....
TrustyBow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-19, 16:44   #604
LaraCablara
Professor
 
LaraCablara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
Anniversary was well-received by critics, but didn't sell so well and I don't understand why. It's basically an improved Legend and yet it sold less.

A remake of the classics would be well-received, at least by us fans. Look at all the fan-remakes and how they're all well regarded, even those that use LAU style. The problem is they're never finished and the fans don't have the pockets Square has, so their remakes probably can't ever reach the quality of even low-budget official remakes. It'd be ideal to hire some fans to make remakes, like Nicobass for example.
It came out in 2007 for exclusively PS2 and PC when the PS3 had already come out (before being to ported to Wii and other consoles digitally). It was, in Crystal's own words, considered a one off for the fans and not advertised as much, especially at a time when these kinds of remakes were not a big thing yet. It was ALWAYS bound to not sell much, it was literally one of the last games to come out for Ps2 that was not a port. People bring up the sales as a reason for why it wasn't a success but always forget what was going on during that time.
LaraCablara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-19, 17:25   #605
Chamayoo
Professor
 
Chamayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 3,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraCablara View Post
It came out in 2007 for exclusively PS2 and PC when the PS3 had already come out (before being to ported to Wii and other consoles digitally). It was, in Crystal's own words, considered a one off for the fans and not advertised as much, especially at a time when these kinds of remakes were not a big thing yet. It was ALWAYS bound to not sell much, it was literally one of the last games to come out for Ps2 that was not a port. People bring up the sales as a reason for why it wasn't a success but always forget what was going on during that time.
This, it was meant to not sell that much and Eidos were aware and totally ok with that. It even was profitable according to CGi Entertainment words.
There's no reason for Square Enix to be afraid of a new remake or remasters.
__________________
Get rid of the gameplay restriction
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-19, 23:16   #606
klona
Gold Contributor
 
klona's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,831
Default

2 and 3 being remastered sounds cool. But I'd also like a 4,5 remaster.
I hope SE greenlights them, even if it's just 2.
__________________
Never felt that, never heard of that, never tasted that, never smelled that...
klona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-19, 00:04   #607
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider
 
Tonyrobinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Devil's Pit
Posts: 19,232
Default

Honestly critically it would be panned because of the controls unless they did something to work them out better for modern gamers. Using the analogue stick is a must and getting rid of the holster and action button aswell as having to access the inventory won't work in today's audience.

Of course it would be nice to have those options were the player can choose a classic control system but if they do a remake they need to take into consideration how to make enjoyable controls that are accessible for people who aren't fans.

Going back and remaking the first game would feel like a step backward but Tomb Raider 2 would be a good option for them recent successes with remastering games have brought back the nostalgic feeling and seem to be putting older games back on the map.
__________________
Does anybody really read these?!
Tonyrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-19, 00:32   #608
laracroftswest
Professor
 
laracroftswest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,476
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyrobinson View Post
Honestly critically it would be panned because of the controls unless they did something to work them out better for modern gamers. Using the analogue stick is a must and getting rid of the holster and action button aswell as having to access the inventory won't work in today's audience.

Of course it would be nice to have those options were the player can choose a classic control system but if they do a remake they need to take into consideration how to make enjoyable controls that are accessible for people who aren't fans.

Going back and remaking the first game would feel like a step backward but Tomb Raider 2 would be a good option for them recent successes with remastering games have brought back the nostalgic feeling and seem to be putting older games back on the map.
Bingo. The tank controls concern me. I get people want these remasters (or remakes) to be faithful to the original or the charm of them goes away but there's definitely a way to make them so that all of the vital parts of the game(s) stay. I believe if Core were to remake these games there are definitely things they'd do differently than they did in the 90s and I don't just mean texture upgrades. The analog stick is absolutely essential from here on out.
__________________
Fran Fine | Disgruntled Nut
laracroftswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-19, 01:04   #609
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter
 
charmedangelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: United States
Posts: 6,742
Default

If RE 1 remaster can sell on tank controls then so can Tomb Raider. It's not an impossible learning curve. 6 year old me could do it, it's not that hard.
__________________
Guardian of Lost Knowledge
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-19, 02:15   #610
Legends
Tomb Raider
 
Legends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 17,345
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
If RE 1 remaster can sell on tank controls then so can Tomb Raider. It's not an impossible learning curve. 6 year old me could do it, it's not that hard.
I agree, and there is ways to adapt those controls better today. Some people hear "tank controls" and they just lose it. Tank controls gave you much more control over what you were doing, as that was the whole point of a game back then. As years passed it become less about mechanical accuracy and more about crafting better graphics.
Legends is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT. The time now is 03:56.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.