www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 16-10-17, 11:53   #1271
Lara_Fan1
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
There was a plot twist?
The plot twist was that it's a TV show based off of 'real events'. It wasn't something I was thrilled with either, I can't actually remember the storyline to Roanoke, something to do with a House and a Butcher that killed everyone that lived in the house.
Old 20-10-17, 03:26   #1272
trfan16
Archaeologist

Just finished watching the new episode that aired on Tuesday. All I have to say is Kai is one big troll. My thoughts:

The opening scene of the episode was quite bizarre. It was a flashback to 1968 where Valerie Solanas tried to kill Andy Warhol. Well actually, the AHS spin on this event was that she actually killed Warhol. What does this have to do with AHS Cult though? That were my thoughts after watching that scene.

This episode deals with the aftermath of the shooting-suicide by Meadow at Kai's campaign. With no surprise, Kai survives the shooting and his numbers in the poll start to increase. He also gains more male supporters. Of course, this doesn't sit well with the females that have helped Kai get this far. And you definitely don't want to piss off Adina Porter's character Beverly.

Before visiting Kai, Beverly meets a mysterious raggedy old woman (played by Frances Conroy). This woman turns out to be one of the followers of Valerie Solanas, who were part of a man hating group called SCUM. I liked the flashback scenes that showed the SCUM members group meetings and killings. Apparently, the SCUM killings were one and the same as the Zodiac killings. That is the AHS twist on them anyways. If the Zodiac killer never really existed, then who was the person who appeared during the serial killer banquet in Hotel? It kind of gave me flashbacks to TR Underworld, but I don't want to go there. The end of the episode showed the female characters killing Harrison in a fashion similar to SCUM. I guess it's safe to say that they turned their backs on Kai. Even though the end cutscene shows Kai and Frances Conroy's character working together. Kai, you manipulative bastard.

Overall, this was a good episode. At first, it looked pretty convoluted with the opening scene talking about Warhol and later the Zodiac killings. But it all tied out nicely in the end. Also, Lena Durham did a great job as Valerie Solanas. And it was nice to see some old AHS faces like Jamie Brewer and Conroy. And I laughed at Beverly's line when she first sees Conroy's character. "What are you homeless? Schizo? Looking for drugs?".

I give this one a 9/10

Last edited by trfan16; 20-10-17 at 03:28.
trfan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-17, 00:40   #1273
robm_2007
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara_Fan1 View Post
The plot twist was that it's a TV show based off of 'real events'. It wasn't something I was thrilled with either, I can't actually remember the storyline to Roanoke, something to do with a House and a Butcher that killed everyone that lived in the house.
Wat? That was known since the first episode, considering they have in-show screens for "My Roanoke Nightmare" and have the real people in the confessional scenes. Unless you meant how they had the actors+real people unite for their own reality show.
Old 01-11-17, 05:20   #1274
AntRaidsTombs
Relic Hunter

Woo! Tonight’s episode, all i can say is YESSSSS ALLY!!!!
Old 01-11-17, 06:57   #1275
Brendanlovesu1
Archaeologist

It was my least favorite episode of the entire season so far, but at least I understood where it came from politically and thematically

Also, how is Kai able to convince people to follow him by telling them about actual real-life crazy people tricking vulnerable people?
Brendanlovesu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-17, 23:16   #1276
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I'm kind of tired of this season. I want a return to the paranormal side of things.
Old 02-11-17, 01:15   #1277
trfan16
Archaeologist

I personally thought yesterday's episode was the best one yet this season. Although the opening clips talking about the real life cults was a bit out of place for me. The subject matter is definitely interesting and I love learning about different cults. But for some reason, the clips didn't really work for me. As for the rest of the episode, I thought it was very good. It was probably the only episode this season that kept me interested from the beginning to the end. A few of my favorite parts were:

- Ally finally turning to the dark side and not taking crap from the clowns or holes. This is the type of Sarah Paulson character that I enjoy. Although did this season ever explain why Ally was afraid of holes and clowns? They probably did, but I just missed it since the early episodes were uninteresting for the most part.

- The Kool-Aid scene was pretty intense. It was kind of predictable that all of the people who drank the Kool-Aid wouldn't die, but it was still a good scene. The acting by Adina Porter and Evan Peters made this scene great.

- Ally being the one to kill Ivy was pretty shocking. Although I felt it should've been the other way around. I personally sympathize with Ivy way more than Ally. I mean the reason Ivy turned to Kai's cult in the first place was because Ally was so unbearable. Ally accuses Ivy of many things, but she was guilty of the same things. For example, she accuses Ivy for cheating on her with Winter. But Ivy did the same thing in the bathroom. And also blames her for not letting her see Oz at all. But in an flashback scene, Ally didn't allow Ivy to be around Oz when he was a baby. If the point of this scene was to sympathize with Ally, well it didn't work for me.

Well, next week will be the last episode! Can't wait to see how it all ends.

@Tonyrobinson: Agreed, I don't really know when the last time there was a supernatural element on the show. Cult definitely doesn't have any supernatural elements to it. Roanoke did have some supernatural elements, but they were kind of spoiled by the actors portrayal of the super natural in the "My Roanoke Nightmare" episodes. Hotel was probably the last supernatural heavy season. But that season was all over the place.

Last edited by trfan16; 02-11-17 at 01:17.
Old 03-11-17, 00:46   #1278
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

There's pockets of good horror in this season, the Hell house was great for religious horror, I think I'd like a dimensional episode exploring different worlds but I feel it's coming in the Murder House/Coven season where we find that each character is in a different circle of Hell like the show represents.
Old 29-11-17, 04:15   #1279
charmedangelin
Tomb Raider

Thank God this season is over, worst season in AHS history. The whole damn thing was a hot mess. I knew politics would ruin it and I was right. The whole show was all over the place and the parodies of activists and politics groups was stupid and dumb. Like I said worst season ever, doubt I will be watching season 8.
Old 30-11-17, 03:47   #1280
trfan16
Archaeologist

I agree, I wasn't impressed with this season at all. As mentioned many times before, the political angle wasn't very interesting for a horror-themed show. The story got too boring at the end too. It pretty much turned into "what cult member will Kai screw over to get his way" plot at the end. I also found the flashback stories to other infamous cult members to be pretty weak and drawn out. Usually, I would love backstory on actual real life cults that existed. But they were watered down just by the fact that Evan Peters played all the cult leaders. Not saying that Peters is a bad actor (he was brilliant as Kai), but they could've featured some old AHS veterans to play those parts. And my one last complaint is that the excessive satire is getting old too. Hotel did this same thing where they had to make fun of some cliche every 5 minutes.

On the bright side, there was some good points to this season. I enjoyed some of the new cast members like Alison Pill, Billie Lourd, and the guy that played the gay husband. And Evan Peters did a solid job at his role too, as well as Sarah Paulson towards the end. The only weak link was Cheyenne Jackson too me. He has never been remarkable in any of his AHS roles IMO. The clown troop was creepy too until they revealed who the killers were. And some of the episodes from the middle of the season were great too.

Overall, this was my second least favorite season on the show. I'm not sure if you should give up on the show yet though. I know the recent seasons have been disappointing to the fan base, but I loved Roanoke last season. I hope Season 8 is a straight up horror season. My overall rankings:

1. Asylum
2. Murder House
3. Roanoke
4. Coven
5. Hotel
6. Cult
7. Freak Show

Last edited by trfan16; 30-11-17 at 03:48.