www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Tomb Editor

Old 08-12-17, 13:33   #481
frankky
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
I wish Paolone could hand over the TRNG source code to Tomb Editor people. He doesn't seem to have as much time these days, neither he is as interested in TRLE as he used too (apparently). I'm pretty sure TE team could do wonders with it. Imagine porting TRNG to Tomb Raider Chronicles, or something like that.
The great Paolone, I say great because it really is, I think it would be happy to be part of people like Monty in this project.

As I have already mentioned to many LDs, without Paolone today we would not even talk about the new Tomb Raider and we could not have done more than 2000 levels done.

You say that paolone seems to have no time and interest in this project, I do not believe it, if it were so NGLE and TRNG would already be dead.

The project started without feeling the great PAOLONE and this was a big mistake, in my opinion.

However, like me there are LD miles that will continue to do levels, as long as Paolone will allow it with NGLE and TRNG:

Think carefully about what you intend to do keeping such a person off is a very serious mistake.

This is my thought.
frankky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 13:45   #482
Lwmte
Archaeologist

What? No, really... I am not sure if you are trolling or talking seriously with all these words like "The Great Paolone", "I Say Great Paolone, and I Mean It", "don't keep The Great Paolone off TE development" etc. This all really sounds as a bad joke, or maybe posts from time machine back from 2009.

Look, everybody in TRLE community appreciates Paolone's efforts. Sorry if sometimes I may sound rude regarding current state of NGLE/TRNG development, but really, it's only because times have changed and it's time to move on with new tools and new ways to make levels. You can't patch 19-year old engine and level editor forever, even if it is a super-great and advanced patcher.

If some day Paolone decides to join TE development, such idea will be truly welcomed and appreciated, because sincerely, sometimes we really can use Paolone's help, because only he can describe what he has done in certain TRNG/NGLE aspects. Also, Paolone already contributed to TE by providing some information regarding his TRNG footer format, custom animated textures, triggers, etc. If it hurts you so much that Paolone isn't the one and only one who developed Tomb Editor, it's your own problem and you don't need to scream about it in every your post in this thread.
Lwmte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 13:57   #483
Joey79100
Professor

Unfortunately TRNG is pretty much dead. The updates have been really rare lately, we see absolutely no news from Paolone. Just see the huge gap between 1.2.2.6 and 1.2.2.7, then 1.2.2.7 and 1.3.0.0. And now he disappeared again.
I really appreciate Paolone's efforts, but he's probably lost interest in TRNG, which is not a reproach or anything considering the effort he's put in it since... a very long time ago. He really did a lot. But yeah, unless he finds interest in developing for TRNG again we have to accept TRNG won't evolve anymore without him sharing his sources. The Tomb Editor team would be the great team to share them with if he's not confident in sharing them in public.
Old 08-12-17, 14:43   #484
frankky
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwmte View Post
What? No, really... I am not sure if you are trolling or talking seriously with all these words like "The Great Paolone", "I Say Great Paolone, and I Mean It", "don't keep The Great Paolone off TE development" etc. This all really sounds as a bad joke, or maybe posts from time machine back from 2009.

Look, everybody in TRLE community appreciates Paolone's efforts. Sorry if sometimes I may sound rude regarding current state of NGLE/TRNG development, but really, it's only because times have changed and it's time to move on with new tools and new ways to make levels. You can't patch 19-year old engine and level editor forever, even if it is a super-great and advanced patcher.

If some day Paolone decides to join TE development, such idea will be truly welcomed and appreciated, because sincerely, sometimes we really can use Paolone's help, because only he can describe what he has done in certain TRNG/NGLE aspects. Also, Paolone already contributed to TE by providing some information regarding his TRNG footer format, custom animated textures, triggers, etc. If it hurts you so much that Paolone isn't the one and only one who developed Tomb Editor, it's your own problem and you don't need to scream about it in every your post in this thread.
I had understood that the help of the great Paolone would not interest you.

Paul has given his soul to carry on his TRNG and we are grateful to all of them.

I hope that if it really depends only on Paolone, you can change your mind about it.

I am a Paolone fan and I will always be, I hope so much that I will soon be able to get my hands on the situation by not abandoning the TRNG.
frankky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 17:05   #485
MontyTRC
Historian

Paolone has supported Tomb Editor sending me all infos and even partial source code of his DLL. Tomb Editor is not TRNG. It is an editor. In the next update you will find in level settings a new voice for select target game engine. Currently we support vanilla tomb4.exe and TRNG. In the future probably also TREP will be added as target.
Old 08-12-17, 18:53   #486
SCSI Adapter
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyTRC View Post
Paolone has supported Tomb Editor sending me all infos and even partial source code of his DLL. Tomb Editor is not TRNG. It is an editor. In the next update you will find in level settings a new voice for select target game engine. Currently we support vanilla tomb4.exe and TRNG. In the future probably also TREP will be added as target.
And older TR games? *fingers crossed*
SCSI Adapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-17, 18:57   #487
Dustie
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSI Adapter View Post
And older TR games? *fingers crossed*
That would be the last thing to implement, as an extra feature, and dropping the idea is also possible due to, among other things, difficulty of managing multiple versions of object IDs, etc.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 03:21   #488
LeelooBastet
Historian

Hi

When you create a diagonal wall where the ceiling/floor is not flat, how do you keep the shape of the square (of the ceiling/floor) that you need ?

see the image, on img2 the ceiling square should keep the same shape as on img1

LeelooBastet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-17, 07:16   #489
MontyTRC
Historian

Currently you can't
Not al possible combinations of diagonal steps are possible. Currently the flat part of sector must be horizontal.
We are discussing if it's possible to do more combinations iin dev chat
Old 09-12-17, 20:31   #490
CuahianoSmall
Hobbyist

Lightbulb

One new suggestion came to my mind. First, I only want to point out another time how handy I found the old room info box.

suggestion @ room info box: I don't know whether I am a bit retrogressive here. But I find the info box in the old editor very useful and would like to have it back. I am not so happy with the TE's current info line in the bottom. It only gives me numbers in brackets and I have to calculate basic things like the room height myself. Also, it doesn't show the prj/wad/engine limits (whatever they might be after patching - could the editor pick up this info from patched level data?) and how much of it is being used.

Quote:
example from NG editor:
Room X:0 Y:0 Size: 18x18 Floor: 0 Ceiling: 20
Triggers: 0 of 512 Moveables: 0 of 1024 Statics: 0 Items: 0 of 6000
Doors: 0 Textures: 0 of 1024 TexInfos: 256 of 1024 Current Texture: 0
Effects: 0 of 768 Overlaps: 0 of 16384 Boxes: 0 of 2040
vs.
Quote:
example from Tomb Editor:
Selected room: Name = downward tunnel pipe | Pos = (45, -12, 53) | Floor = -23 | Ceiling = -7 Global area = None Local area = none
I like the upper example better. TE is a bit more mathematical - I have no idea what's on position 45,-12,53 - my room? Seeing from where?! It would be cool if the numerical info was more self-explanatory.

suggestion @ adjusting room height: Can we get a number field to set a room's vertical position, using the lowest floor tile as a mark? Instead of clicking a room button fifty times, you would only enter (-)50 into a field and the room would be set to (-)50 with its lowest floor square.

See, not everything about winroomedit was bad! (And also getting back that automatical adjustment to a nearby stack room by one right click would be very cool, but I think to remember that I already suggested that. (I really want it! ))

Last edited by CuahianoSmall; 09-12-17 at 20:35.
CuahianoSmall is offline   Reply With Quote