www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 02-03-20, 18:22   #1051
TRJTA
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
Did you try increasing saturation of those textures? The colors seem a bit meh despite the good quality textures
What textures do you mean?
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 19:01   #1052
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

everything

the pc version is already unsaturated by itself... having textures with very soft colors doesn't help either. If you try saturating one of those screenshots you'll see a huge difference. This is the same problem TR Anniversary had TBH - the textures were poor in color which is what made it too bland

The screenshots look good, though the saturation thing came to my mind

Last edited by SrDanielPonces; 02-03-20 at 19:03.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-20, 19:41   #1053
TRJTA
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrDanielPonces View Post
everything

the pc version is already unsaturated by itself... having textures with very soft colors doesn't help either. If you try saturating one of those screenshots you'll see a huge difference. This is the same problem TR Anniversary had TBH - the textures were poor in color which is what made it too bland

The screenshots look good, though the saturation thing came to my mind
You are entitled to your opinion of course. I myself don't agree and think that there is plenty of color in the game. The HD textures have the same hue and the same amount of color saturation as the original textures, and quite some textures already have more vibrant colors such as Lara's model and the horizon. If I were to speak for myself this it not something I would want to change
Old 03-03-20, 01:18   #1054
GiovanniLucca
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
You are entitled to your opinion of course. I myself don't agree and think that there is plenty of color in the game. The HD textures have the same hue and the same amount of color saturation as the original textures, and quite some textures already have more vibrant colors such as Lara's model and the horizon. If I were to speak for myself this it not something I would want to change
I agree on this!

Maybe when you see the game in motion you will change your opinion.

I hate games with muted color pallete. Anniversary is awful to play without some post effects like reshade to correct the saturation and contrast...

But our remaster is very colorfull and alive... I would say that it is yet more colorful than the original textures, because now you can see a lot of details and color variations on the textures!
Old 03-03-20, 01:37   #1055
VictorXD
Relic Hunter

While I think the textures look quite stunning and Lara is simply perfect, I have to admit the colour does seem to be sucked out somewhat. I think it's the new lighting, and I have to say I'm not too much of a fan TR3 might have excessively dark areas but it's colourful lighting makes the game quite atmospheric.

I'm not sure if in all those screenshots lighting has been tweaked, but it definitely looks different in that aspect.

Again, amazing work you guys are doing, this is just my personal opinion.
Old 03-03-20, 05:04   #1056
TRJTA
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post
While I think the textures look quite stunning and Lara is simply perfect, I have to admit the colour does seem to be sucked out somewhat. I think it's the new lighting, and I have to say I'm not too much of a fan TR3 might have excessively dark areas but it's colourful lighting makes the game quite atmospheric.

I'm not sure if in all those screenshots lighting has been tweaked, but it definitely looks different in that aspect.

Thank you!
I think this is something people think they see. I have tweaked the lighting in quite a few places, though not everywhere. But, apart from the indoor areas of temple ruins, there are no places where I did any changes to the coloring of the lighting.

Like I said before. I know people, including myself, love the classics for the more colorful environments, and I have no intention of diminishing that. The more drastic lighting alterations, like inside of the temple of temple ruins, do of course bring some changes with it I including how the colors will end up looking, but these kinds changes will be relativity few.
Old 04-03-20, 09:37   #1057
indigo1993
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorXD View Post

I think this is one of those situations where our eyes almost betray us with an optical illusion. I think since the original game had very poor textures, our minds kind of "filled in the gaps" of what each location was supposed to be. Was that a rock? a wall? an entrance to a temple or a natural rock formation?
and with that, the "cartoony" aspect of the game was allowed to shine through more easily, because so much was left to the imagination.
With the remaster, we get to see everything so clearly. Like, there's a screenshot with an entrance to the temple which is the same that appears on the loading screen, and even though I've been playing this game since I was 9, I've never noticed that that was it. I thought they were just... rocks, not a man-made structure hahaha. With that in mind, there is less room for the imagination to run free, because we can "connect" the places we see in game to locations we know from real life experience/photos. And we know in real life the colors are kind of muted, as opposed to the sharp colors we see on instagram filters, so maybe that's why we perceive it all as more "muted". But the remaster DOES look very colorful to me, and I think that increasing the saturation would break the immersion that this experience aims to provide.

Last edited by indigo1993; 04-03-20 at 10:29.
indigo1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 10:05   #1058
ANoDE
Golden

I guess going with this level of saturation is just fine. It would be a plus, if the patch could support ReShade though - so everyone could fine-tune these things to their personal preference.
Old 04-03-20, 10:21   #1059
TRJTA
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoDE View Post
I guess going with this level of saturation is just fine. It would be a plus, if the patch could support ReShade though - so everyone could fine-tune these things to their personal preference.
Yes we both agree with this. It's something we would want too. We just need a better way to use the HD textures in the game instead of the Peixoto patch, which doesn't allow the use of ReShade
Old 04-03-20, 11:47   #1060
SrDanielPonces
Relic Hunter

I'm mentioning it because you're pasting photorealistic images into blocky geometry, that's why more color, in my opinion, would help it look less "bland"

I wish it was following the same style tr3 does

Good job nevertheless, it's always a hard work when you are trying to recreate any textures! You should be proud of yourself! Xoxo

Last edited by SrDanielPonces; 04-03-20 at 11:52.
SrDanielPonces is offline   Reply With Quote