www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 28-12-18, 02:50   #531
New Dwight
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
What I find interesting is the fact that all this drama has beget not one response from a mod, but dear God if CharmedAngelin gets into drama we must ban him ASAP.

Very interesting.
I felt that same way too, VERY VERY MUCH. Least you're not alone on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiovanniLucca View Post
Oh gosh! I can't believe that this stormy cloud is upon this thread again...

Let's lighten the mood here, shall we?

This is the progress of JUNGLE level,
Lara was not made yet, so ignore her textures...

I'll refine the colors too...
It is work in progress after all... but I wanted to share here to maintain the good vibes that almost always we can find here...

Hope this can help with that!

Loving these screen here. The horzion works very well here!
New Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-18, 06:34   #532
Heartache
Professor

i really cant wait to play this. you are also making such a fast progress i love it always happy to see new screenshots, it looks gorgeous
Old 28-12-18, 11:27   #533
TombRaiderTim
Archaeologist

The textures look wonderful! Seeing HD textures on TR3 really shows how poorly they were placed on certain levels which is a shame really because TR3 is a really good game.
Old 28-12-18, 16:20   #534
TRJTA
Professor

Starting to look good! I still miss a bit of the, dunno, warmth of the original textures. Still missing a bit of orange and green I think. But you write you're going to change the colors, so I'll wait patiently ^^
TRJTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-18, 21:34   #535
Gaga
Hobbyist

These HD textures really show how Core honestly just threw textures all over the place lol.

It's looking good tho, can't wait to see Nevada come to life.
Old 29-12-18, 21:51   #536
Ruu11
Explorer

I can't almost recognize TR3 India level with those new textures... Is this something bad or good lol
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-18, 06:58   #537
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
I still miss a bit of the, dunno, warmth of the original textures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaga View Post
These HD textures really show how Core honestly just threw textures all over the place lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
Seeing HD textures on TR3 really shows how poorly they were placed on certain levels which is a shame really because TR3 is a really good game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruu11 View Post
I can't almost recognize TR3 India level with those new textures... Is this something bad or good lol
(first note that i cut those quotes and that almost all of them had positive feedback in them. Just cut them to avoid huge quote posts)

I agree and I think that's why I always prefer the original above HD remakes. The initiative is very nice, but TR III doesn't really benefit from sharper textures. If anything, it makes the game look more flawed.

If C.D/E.M are ever going to remake this game professionally than they'll have to change a lot of other things than just texture upscaling.

Your work is great though! It's just that TR III isn't exactly mod friendly
Old 30-12-18, 08:19   #538
SLAYER
Archaeologist

The textures just need to be a bit warmer. Less blue for the sky box.
Old 30-12-18, 17:04   #539
scion05
Tomb Raider

Looks truly excellent to me. I anticipate further x
Old 30-12-18, 23:15   #540
GiovanniLucca
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombRaiderTim View Post
The textures look wonderful! Seeing HD textures on TR3 really shows how poorly they were placed on certain levels which is a shame really because TR3 is a really good game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRJTA View Post
Starting to look good! I still miss a bit of the, dunno, warmth of the original textures. Still missing a bit of orange and green I think. But you write you're going to change the colors, so I'll wait patiently ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaga View Post
It's looking good tho, can't wait to see Nevada come to life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruu11 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I agree and I think that's why I always prefer the original above HD remakes. The initiative is very nice, but TR III doesn't really benefit from sharper textures. If anything, it makes the game look more flawed.

If C.D/E.M are ever going to remake this game professionally than they'll have to change a lot of other things than just texture upscaling.

Your work is great though! It's just that TR III isn't exactly mod friendly
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAYER View Post
The textures just need to be a bit warmer. Less blue for the sky box.
Guys! First of all thank you for the feedback!

And Secondly, I wish to clarify somethings about my project and my intensions!

The purpose is to redo all the textures. None of the original textures will be used (except for some enemies) because of the low quality and resolution!
With that said, we can conclude that:

• Somethings WILL be different! Now with High resolution, I can add more details, I can work a little more with the colors, I can improve some of the original intensions of the designes (like the carvings and details on temples) I can do a lot more to the game's visuals that was achieved in 1998.

With that in mind, we can confirm that SOMETHINGS WILL BE DIFFERENT! My main goal is to maintain the feeling of the levels, BUT with all the "power" that I have to improve the visuals, why I can't do somethings better? Why I can't show my art in this game that I love so much? As you could see in the South Pacific levels, I'm tring as much as possible to be fiel to the original game. But when I find something that in my vision could be better and could improve the look, I'll do it!

For those who are too purist for this kind of remaster... for the kind of work that I'm doing... @New Dwight made one great upscale off all the classics wich maintain all the original textures, and it is available to download right now!

About the colors, I'm applying the color harmony on the remaster... Some of the original levels was not using this tecnique (back in the days, the game's designers did not worry about this stuff... nowadays this is pratically a rule for every visual media)

For exemple: In this screenshot, I used the double complementary color harmony, wich fits perfectly with this environment... So I'm using only greens, yellows, blues and red-violets to maintain all the colors in harmony with each other... This improve a lot the visuals... In the original game... most of the main colors, resume in yellows and greens... wich doesn't match so nicely... The blue on the sky (in the remaster) came to neutralise the yellows and greens, so all the colors look balanced...

For this reason, some of the levels will not be the exactaly same colors of the original game. Because I want to improve it! To make it better!

About the game look too different of the original, and sometimes almost unrecognisable... That will happen! We are improve the details and resolution in 8x what was originally... So this is a lot of details that was not present in the original... It looks like a modern stylised indie game.... not the square blurry that was in the 1998 game. That is my purpose, give a new life to this classic, modernize the look...

But as you can see in this screenshot... It is not too far from the original... The nostalgia is there, but better looking!

Happy new year to everyone!
And thank you for riding with me in this journey!
I hope that in 2019 we can play this remaster from start to finish!

Last edited by GiovanniLucca; 30-12-18 at 23:19.
GiovanniLucca is offline   Reply With Quote