www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat

Old 16-04-22, 12:45   #1
synthsequence
Hobbyist

Question Launcher for TRLE/custom levels?

Hey everyone, wasn't sure where to put this. The TRLE subforum seems to be mostly for level creators and not players. If this is the wrong spot I apologise.

I've recently been playing the entire Tomb Raider series from start to finish for the second time on Steam (I have the entire collection). I'm just about to finish Tomb Raider III and then it's onto The Last Revelation, which is my favourite.

Upon looking into TLR a bit more I found the TRLE/custom level scene which I'd previously had no idea about. It's insane the amount of talented people working on custom levels and still supporting the classic games to this day. It was especially surprising as I've been playing Tomb Raider since Unfinished Business in 2000 (when I was 4!).

Anyway, I was wondering if there was a level launcher of sorts for custom levels. Similar to Doom Launcher or ZDL for the classic Doom games, where you can import levels and then simply launch them from a list, rather than having to launch them from their folders or create shortcuts.

I did find a program called Tomb Raider Mod Manager but I couldn't get it to work properly, and it also hasn't been updated in a while.

If not, that's fine, I can just have a set of subfolders for each level and make shortcuts.

Bonus question: I know you can access the video setup launcher by adding "-setup" to the command line, but is there a way to simply copy the video settings config file from my Tomb Raider Last Revelation folder to custom maps, instead of having to run the setup menu for each map? I can't seem to find what the actual config file is called, PCGamingWiki simply says it's in the root directory.

Thank you!
synthsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-22, 13:59   #2
Zsott
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthsequence View Post
Hey everyone, wasn't sure where to put this. The TRLE subforum seems to be mostly for level creators and not players. If this is the wrong spot I apologise.
Welcome to the forum!
You can post there too, it's not exclusive for builders!
Also, if you are not sure where to post, you can always contact a moderator, or the admin and I'm sure they'll gladly help you out.

Quote:
Anyway, I was wondering if there was a level launcher of sorts for custom levels. Similar to Doom Launcher or ZDL for the classic Doom games, where you can import levels and then simply launch them from a list, rather than having to launch them from their folders or create shortcuts.
If I'm not mistaken, there's no such tool, but every custom level comes with their own exe file.
Keep in mind, that some of the levels have modified .exe file to achieve certain things while playing (changing gravity, for example)combined with the .dat files; so using one exe for every build would be problematic.

Quote:
Bonus question: I know you can access the video setup launcher by adding "-setup" to the command line, but is there a way to simply copy the video settings config file from my Tomb Raider Last Revelation folder to custom maps, instead of having to run the setup menu for each map? I can't seem to find what the actual config file is called, PCGamingWiki simply says it's in the root directory.
Can't give you an answer for that, sorry.
You should really ask a mod to move the thread to the editor section, that way one of the builders could helop you out...
Old 16-04-22, 14:01   #3
Teone
Student

No, I'm sorry. It doesn't exist any launcher. The Level Manager you mention is a very obsolete tool (infact it's not updated anymore). It was ok for very old custom levels but not for the new ones.
The Level Manager was built with Visual Basic 6 and it installs many OCX files in your system, and new OSs don't like them.

About the config, speaking of TR4 type customs, it's in the registry [HKCU\SOFTWARE\Core Design\Tomb Raider Level Editor] and it's shared for every custom you play.
So, once you do the first "-setup" you don't have to do it again for each level you play (unless the builder recommend to adjust a specific setting).

Hope this help
Bye
Teone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-22, 14:34   #4
Joey79100
Professor

If you do need a setup shortcut you can copy paste anywhere, check this: https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...d.php?t=209422
Get the Setup.bat file at the bottom and paste it anywhere. It's a simple command line "shortcut" that will run the "tomb4.exe -setup" command.

And indeed, the level manager is indeed completely outdated, not just in technology but also in workflow: level builders used to upload levels with the minimal amount of files, only the lightest ones and compressed versions when possible (this was a time where high speed internet was not very common).
That level manager was built with this in mind, and was meant to automatically do the voodoo we used to have to do to get levels to run.

Nowadays, all levels you'll find come in a "unzip-and-play" kind of package, and sometimes the folder structure is different so it wouldn't work with the level manager anyway.

Nobody ever made a new level manager since that one as far as I know.
Joey79100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-22, 15:27   #5
klona
Golden

I know what you mean OP, but there isn't any launcher that launches any custom level.

There's another big reason why such thing can't be possible:
Nowadays, EACH of these custom levels uses a unique exe with different patches. Replacing it with another will likely break the game at some point or make it unplayable.
Old 16-04-22, 15:29   #6
synthsequence
Hobbyist

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the replies. Looks like shortcuts it is good to know that the settings are global among all tr4.exe levels so I don't have to set them individually.

I might keep looking for a file managing program of some sort, not specifically for Tomb Raider. I'd say what I'm after is probably already out there somewhere.

Essentially all I want is a compiled list of .exes from different directories to be displayed, which I can rename. Similar to how a lot of emulators can display roms on a list, even if each rom is in its own subfolder.

That way I can have some sort of naming convention. So far I just have folders with a "[map name] ([author])" but I might even arrange them chronologically.

Hell, I might even try making a simple one myself!

Thanks guys
Old 18-04-22, 00:50   #7
synthsequence
Hobbyist

For anyone interested, I've found a program which does exactly what I'm after.
It's called ASuite. Basically it's a program that allows you to have a list of programs, which you can import, categorise, rename, sort, et cetera. It's probably useful for a lot more things that listing TRLE levels but it does that job admirably.

I have a more in-depth thread in the Tomb Raider Level Editor forum; unfortunately I can't link it because I'm still a new user. The thread is called "Using ASuite as a level browser/launcher" so you can search for it

Hopefully this helps someone else who's anal about organising their games and files!