www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > General Chat > Arts and Entertainment

Old 05-03-19, 23:16   #81
Catapharact
Tomb Raider

Arrow

GATTACA:

An interesting play-on using the four Nucleotide that make up our DNA (Guanine, Adenine, Thymine and Cytozine,) GATTACA is an exploration of the Human Spirit and the idea that we are not limited by our physical conditions but by perseverance and hard work. Its a good Biopunk movie and even though it didn't do so well at the Box Office, it has a very good following.

Equilibrium:

Think of the movie as an exploration of every negative aspect related to the Jedi Order . The movie shows a world where extreme emotions are outlawed and anything that incites these emotions (Art, Pleasure, etc.) is considered contraband. The movie uses a lot of "Gun-Fu" aspects in its shooting scenes making it one of the most artful action movie of them all.
Old 06-03-19, 07:48   #82
Cochrane
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmoor View Post
Titanic - It was good in its day and is still a guilty pleasure.
Wait, Titanic is unpopular now!? Thatís sad to hear. I think itís great, and certainly better than Avatar.
Old 06-03-19, 11:24   #83
Nigel Cassidy
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochrane View Post
Wait, Titanic is unpopular now!? Thatís sad to hear. I think itís great, and certainly better than Avatar.
Redlettermedia did a long review on Titanic and I agree with their main points, which are:

- It's a special effects masterpiece.
- Great care and effort went into making the film, it wasn't just a slapped together cash grab.
- The script is tight and knows how to do setups and payoffs.
- While the looks of this film and the historical happenings are all very true to history, the characters, both fictional and historical, are comically one-dimensional stereotypes.
- In the end, it is a film that aims for the middle: a simple story for the mainstream audience, and in that regard it hit the mark perfectly.
Nigel Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 11:48   #84
Ellioft
Professor

Quote:
Wait, Titanic is unpopular now!? That’s sad to hear. I think it’s great, and certainly better than Avatar.
I agree Avatar is overrated for me, the technique is ahed of his time but the story was lackluster for me... but I like the song I See You by Leona Lewis

Last edited by Ellioft; 06-03-19 at 12:04.
Ellioft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 12:03   #85
Enigma92
Student

The Star Wars prequels.

Cheesy? Sure, but this is a film franchise inspired by Flash Gordon so I wasn't exactly expecting Schindler's List.

I adore the original 6 Star Wars films for that George Lucas world-building and imaginative magic which I find grossly lacking in these newer films, something just feels profoundly off about them.

I honestly would have loved to have seen Lucas's complete vision for VII, VIII and IX, I reckon that despite some awkward dialogue it would have been far more creative and respectful to the legacy characters.
Enigma92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-19, 15:15   #86
DragonSlayer
Relic Hunter

Quote:
The first time I saw Avatar I didn't really like it, it looked great but the story sucked the second time I watched it I liked it more than I did the first time I saw it, the movie throws a lot at whoever is watching it all at once setting the scene for later events in the movie, informing the viewer all about Pandora and at the same time moving the plot along, it's one of those movies that you have to pay attention to like Inception just to keep up with what's going on.

After several repeat viewings I don't need to pay as much attention to Avatar as I did the first time, Inception on the other hand I have to pay attention every time because regardless of how many times I watch it, it's still very confusing.

The only way I can make sense of Inception is to compare the movie to a video game, the planning of the inception is like a loading screen planning the mission and the objectives of each team member and so on, the city is level 1, the hotel is level 2, the snow fortress as I call it is level 3 and I suppose limbo could be called level 4.
DragonSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-19, 15:35   #87
Cat Woman
Archaeologist

Question

The NARNIA movies
Harry Potter movies
James Bond 007 movies.

I liked all of them. What are your thoughts on these?
Old 07-03-19, 15:38   #88
TrustyBow
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Woman View Post
The NARNIA movies
Harry Potter movies
James Bond 007 movies.

I liked all of them. What are your thoughts on these?
I wouldn't exactly call those unpopular movies

But I love the James Bond movies.

Idk what it is with Harry Potter but I could never get behind that hype. For me, I prefer magic when it has a bit of realism to it. Or at least more of a horror aspect, like the new Sabrina show. In Harry Potter, it's kind of OP, like "I want this to happen." I prefer sacrifices and blood rituals.
Old 07-03-19, 15:44   #89
Cat Woman
Archaeologist

Maybe not unpopular in general, but my friends had different opinions on each of them. Some enjoyed them and some did not.
Old 08-03-19, 13:47   #90
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

Quote:
I suppose it's still popular to some extent but it's greatly scorned in many quarters too. I think it's better than Avatar too which makes me wonder what these 3 sequels of Avatar are actually going to be like that JC has spent years making.