www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > The Last Revelation

Old 14-08-20, 01:08   #1
Lordbony
Hobbyist

Default How to make bodies not disappear forever?

https://www.tombraiderforums.com/sho...49#post7336183

So I saw this thread and followed the steps.

The bodies in fact do not disappear anymore.

HOWEVER when I load the game they are gone. I want the bodies to save when I save

is there a hex code edit for that?
Lordbony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-20, 07:36   #2
Kirishima
Explorer

It's likely a game engine feature that can't be completely removed without some deep modification. I imagine that every time the game makes a save, because dead bodies are supposed to disappear, it was programmed to not bother keeping that data when creating a save file, thus on load the body is wiped from existence.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-20, 08:45   #3
Sardoc
Archaeologist

I suppose since the bodies disappear by default, their locations aren't stored in the save files. That must be it.

I don't know if the logic for storing dead bodies in the save file exists in TR4/5 or not. If it does, it might need to be enabled. If it doesn't... well, there isn't much we can do about it.
Sardoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-20, 08:57   #4
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

For years I have had this copy below of how DEAD BODIES REMAIN IN TR4 and TR5, You do need to use a Hex editor. It does work, but if you save and then load the game the bodies are gone. That is exactly what it does with the hex code below.

I don't think there is an easy way to avoid losing the bodies, if you save and re-load.

Once a TR4 baddy is triggered alive and then killed, it disappears to save on game memory (bypassed with this code, the body remains), but it will not re-spaw the body, if saved and re-loaded, as technically it is now out of the game memory, ie, dead and gone.

You would be asking for the game to bring back a dead body, and it does not work that way, as it triggers live baddies, and then they are dead, and out of the game
__________________________________________________ _________
COPY....

In TR4 & 5, I found the offset to modify so the deads don't disappear.
I found it by comparing in a hex editor the EXE of TR4 with an unofficial patched EXE which disables the disappearance of the bodies.

For TR5 I research a similar method and after a few tests, I found it too.

In Tomb Raider 4 :
Open the application "tomb4.exe" with the hexadecimal editor and go to the offset :

"00049C90", column "0A".
Then replace "01" by "00".

In Tomb Raider 5 :
Open the application "PCTomb5.exe" with the hexadecimal editor and go to the offset :

"00015410", column "02".
Then replace "01" by "00".

Last edited by The Great Chi; 14-08-20 at 09:23.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-20, 17:31   #5
Lordbony
Hobbyist

I don't know why they let bodies disappear like this.

On top of being more immersive it also showed me where I already been so I don't keep going around in circles.
Lordbony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-20, 19:51   #6
ackamonk
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordbony View Post

On top of being more immersive it also showed me where I already been so I don't keep going around in circles.
Probably to conserve memory usage, TR4 was more advanced than its predecessors but still aimed at the same consoles. Suppose they had to make trade-offs somehwere.
ackamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-20, 06:37   #7
Kirishima
Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackamonk View Post
Probably to conserve memory usage, TR4 was more advanced than its predecessors but still aimed at the same consoles. Suppose they had to make trade-offs somehwere.
Likely this. In the ps1 version of Tomb Raider 3, bodies would disappear as soon as they left the screen in most cases, sometimes even onscreen.
Kirishima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-20, 19:31   #8
ackamonk
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
Likely this. In the ps1 version of Tomb Raider 3, bodies would disappear as soon as they left the screen in most cases, sometimes even onscreen.
Interesting, I didn't know that. I've never played it on the PS1 and assumed it would be the same as the PC. Must be a console limitation then!
Old 22-08-20, 22:53   #9
Kapu
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordbony View Post

As ackamonk said, it was to save memory. Remember it's a 20 year old game with 20 year old hardware restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
There's a special trigger in the TRLE called "bodybag" that clears all the dead enemies from the map. I'm not 100% sure but I think that's the function Core used in TR1-3 to clear the dead baddies. It can still be used in the TR4 engine (AFAIK) but isn't necessary since they programmed the bodies to fade automatically.

EDIT: I was curious so I checked some TR2 and 3 levels with FexInspect. There are indeed rows of "bodybag" triggers peppered throughout the levels. When Lara moves over the trigger, it clears the dead guys.

Last edited by Kapu; 22-08-20 at 23:00.
Kapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-20, 23:05   #10
ackamonk
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapu View Post
There's a special trigger in the TRLE called "bodybag" that clears all the dead enemies from the map. I'm not 100% sure but I think that's the function Core used in TR1-3 to clear the dead baddies. It can still be used in the TR4 engine (AFAIK) but isn't necessary since they programmed the bodies to fade automatically.
Just curious - is there anywhere known in TR1-3 that this is used?

Slightly unrelated but I've read a similar trigger is used in TR4 Catacombs to clear all the undead knights, just in case Lara doesn't deal with them and too many are alive at once.