Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Anniversary

Old 04-08-20, 22:25   #1
puristic jink
Inactive

Thumbs down Anniversary Unappreciation Thread

Awww here we go as far as I'm aware there isnt a hate thread about this game so I'll make one with the reasons I dont like this game very much at all I guess you could say I hate it:

Note: When reffering to Anniversary I will use TRA when reffering to the game its based on I will use TRO the O stands for original of course the original game was just called Tomb Raider.

• They changed the story to make it seem Lara was there for her father they had to do this to tie this game to Legend and underworld that's a given but becuase they had to do this it compromised the quality of the game becuase story is everything.

• Levels have been cut compleltey or tied together case is point there is no Cistern level it has been pigeonholed into the Tomb of Tichocan this makes the level a lot easier becuase it lacks the sosphitication of TRO.

• Many level designs are different completley from the game this is supposed to be based on. Whole chunks of story and Characters are missing despite being in TRO

• There are puzzles in TRA that were never present in TRO this means TRA is not faithful to the game it is allegedly based on.

• The color plate lacks completey with newer graphics they could of done so much more with the colors I mean so much more the color palate in TRA went for realism whereas in TRO they were working with a much more limted graphical system yet TRO is a very coloful game indeed and the colors help hide the graphic limitations.

• I find the levels in this game lack/fail to catch the same atmosphere as the original which would be fine except for the fact that this game doesn't appear to have an atmosphere at all which makes it very boring especially in a big level.

• Lara's home looks like the one in Legend not like an updated version of the original games yet they still mimick the boxes how this Lara actually ties in to the original one is not confirmed becuase I doubt she was meant to.

• In Palace Midas all the puzzles are in the same room robbing the player of the exploration elements of TRO in which a huge amount of exploration had to be done in order to discover all of the puzzles rooms also the hand death scene is too gimmicky for my liking.

• QTE'S I hate these with a passion and the very fact that they are in a game set in 1996 makes absoultey no sense (with Legend that game was set in 2006 so that was perfectly fine) what so ever it means that they force you to fight the Giant T-Rex whereas in TRO it was possible to aviod fighting him completely or not the choice the players QTE's take that choice away and feel way to automated for my liking. They have also made you fight the centaurs both of them in TRO fighting them was completley optional.

• Wall running was shoe horned in from TRL the question is if this is suppsed to be 10 years prior to legend how come she is just as prepared as she is in TRL?

• Theres to many "ledges" note that these werent even in TRO at all indeed and they've added pole jumping I have to say that not only was this never even in the TRO I dont even think it works as an additon pole jumping is very dodgy to say the least bothy of these features were to add something new but for me took away too much from classic platforming.

• Too many corridors I don't ever recall seeing these in TRO well there some large long areas but not like they are in TRA.

So not only do I dislike this game I happen to think it is the worst Tomb raider ever made perhaps even the worst game ever made overall.

Last edited by puristic jink; 06-08-20 at 01:06.
puristic jink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 18:18   #2
indigo1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by puristic jink View Post
  • Levels have been cut compleltey or tied together case is point there is no Cistern level it has been pigeonholed into the Tomb of Tichocan this makes the level a lot easier becuase it lacks the sosphitication of TRO.
I agree with that. My main grip with this game is the Palace of Midas, actually. in OG it looked so much more like a place that truly existed and was deteriorated by time, as well as the beautiful aqueduct that got COMPLETELY CUT OFF. In TRA it looks like some sort of playground for lara to go jumpy jumpy grabby grabby, it doesn't feel at any moment like a place that people could have been in at some point in time. This is an issue that repeats in other levels of the remake.

Quote:
  • Many level designs are different completley from the game this is supposed to be based on. Whole chunks of story and Characters are missing despite being in TRO
I'm not sure which parts of the story you're talking about that got left out, and as for characters, I can only recall the random cowboy, which got replaced by Larson. To be perfectly honest, the choice of antagonists in OG (except for Natla) is bizarre and it feels like it mocks everything the game tries to set itself out to do. TRA did better in trying to fix it, even if just a little.

Quote:
  • There are puzzles in TRA that were never present in TRO this means TRA is not faithful to the game it is allegedly based on.
that makes absolutely no sense. It's a remake, not a remaster. Of course some things would change.

Quote:
  • Lara's home looks like the one in Legend not like an updated version of the original games yet they still mimick the boxes how this Lara actually ties in to the original one is not confirmed becuase I doubt she was meant to.
Her home on TRA is by FAAAAR the best Tomb Raider home we could have gotten. It is so damn good and so open. OG was basically about making it to the swimming pool and then getting out of the water, there was nothing to do there. TRA was like a homage to the TRII manor and I think they really paid such wonderful tribute to her home. I hate many things about TRA, but I'll defend her home over her lifeless TRI one anytime. My nostalgia won't blind me from seeing what was clearly improved on, whilst still remaining somewhat faithful. xD

My issue with TRA is how it toned down on violence and gore when compared to OG. Both in terms of the death animations, blood, as well as the enemy design and even the environments (the atlantis levels look super dull when compared to the walls made of flesh in the original game). Somehow there are many moments in TRA that the levels feel too much like Lara's personal playground, which to me seem to break the immersion. Somehow TRI managed to make the environments/level design seem more uninviting.
indigo1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 18:34   #3
indigo1993

on that note also, I have always found it to be very confusing whatever the hell happened to Tihocan and Qualopec.
I mean, we see Qualopec awakening and standing up while the temple starts to collapse, and Tihocan isn't even buried in his tomb to begin with. Why did the game choose to do it this way? It just feels like they maybe had plans for those two but it never came to fruition, but that makes even less sense because Underworld was under development by the time Anniversary was being made, so I'm honestly just really confused by that. Anyone got any clue what that means or whatever the hell happened to those two???
indigo1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 19:47   #4
Mek

Tomb Raider: Anniversary is not a good game. It's one of the worst Tomb Raider games developed by Crystal Dynamics:
  • much content cut from the original Tomb Raider
  • many simplifications with the respect to the original Tomb Raider
  • different atmosphere than in the original Tomb Raider
  • plot destroyed by adjusting it so that it can be a prequel for the Legend story
  • levels are bland, empty and not polished
  • game outdated already at the time of the release: it had only a previous generation version, never a true and proper next generation version (those that were released for Xbox 360 and PS3 were tweaked only a bit and were not true next gen games)
  • ports for the next generation consoles released after several months (Xbox 360) and even years (PS3) since the game release whereas both consoles were out for at least half of a year at the time of the game release
  • (I wanted to list here only general aspects of the game, but this specific element disappointed me particularly so I'll mention it too) the encounter and the fight with the T-Rex which lost all of its magic from TR1

This game is not a proper tribute to the first Tomb Raider. I can't believe that Toby Gard took part in the development of the game and was its story consultant.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 22:03   #5
puristic jink
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo1993 View Post
on that note also, I have always found it to be very confusing whatever the hell happened to Tihocan and Qualopec.
I mean, we see Qualopec awakening and standing up while the temple starts to collapse, and Tihocan isn't even buried in his tomb to begin with. Why did the game choose to do it this way? It just feels like they maybe had plans for those two but it never came to fruition, but that makes even less sense because Underworld was under development by the time Anniversary was being made, so I'm honestly just really confused by that. Anyone got any clue what that means or whatever the hell happened to those two???
Honestly it just felt like they "Legend'd" the original Tomb Raider but ended up with a product so floored it doesn't even compare to Legend nevermind TRO.
Old 05-08-20, 22:18   #6
Chamayoo

Tombraidering to be triggered.

Ok so TR1 is the only one in my personal Top 5 to not have an unappreciation thread.

- White ledges
- Maybe the one with the most ledge hop plateforming with Shadow
- Confusing lateral jump with the grapple and camera
- Too streamlined in several sections compared to TR1

That's all I guess ?
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 22:56   #7
jajay119

Having replayed Palace Midas in TR1 yesterday I am really conflicted by it. the challenge rooms were so much better done in TRA and I think it was one of the rare moments you could see the original rooms in them. However so much was cut that it feels like a very weird space - it in no way feels like an actual palace. I've always felt the layout of levels was bizarre in both games (Why does St Francis Folly, where the Scion was meant to be, lead to a colosseum?) I think some of the side rooms should have been included to show it was an ancient space that has eroded in time - even if they carried over some of the collapsed door ways to show the palace had more to it you couldn't get to.

I liked that you enter the palace directly from the colosseum this time but I feel you could have entered through the cut gardens, seen some of the aqueduct and then entered the Palace itself with some collapsed halls and finally the main room as it is which would have helped protect the feeling of the original.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-20, 23:53   #8
Ashnod

Quote:
Awww here we go as far as I'm aware there isnt a hate thread about this game so I'll make one with the reasons I dont like this game very much at all I guess you could say I hate it...
So not only do I dislike this game I happen to think it is the worst Tomb raider ever made perhaps even the worst game ever made overall.
I disagree with everything here, but that's fine.

Perspectives and opinions on games will be different.
Ashnod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 00:27   #9
trfan16

I remember when Anniversary was first announced and being so hyped for it. I was hoping for a remake similar to Resident Evil Remake that was faithful to the original but added some new content at the same time. Overall, I found the game to be alright but it ranks towards the bottom of the list least favorite Tomb Raider games. In fact, I don't think I've touched the game since 2007/2008. Here are some of my complaints from what I recall:

- The grapple and wall run was the most annoying stunts in the series. Maybe I was a noob at the game, but it took me forever to master the wall jump in Obelisk of Khamoon.

- Atlantis in general.

- Removal of the Cistern level. I actually enjoyed the Cistern puzzle in Tomb of Tihocan, but I would rather they kept the original Cistern and cut most of ToT except for the Centaur fight.

- The QTE actions during boss fights.
trfan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-20, 00:59   #10
puristic jink
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by trfan16 View Post
I remember when Anniversary was first announced and being so hyped for it. I was hoping for a remake similar to Resident Evil Remake that was faithful to the original but added some new content at the same time. Overall, I found the game to be alright but it ranks towards the bottom of the list least favorite Tomb Raider games. In fact, I don't think I've touched the game since 2007/2008. Here are some of my complaints from what I recall:

- The grapple and wall run was the most annoying stunts in the series. Maybe I was a noob at the game, but it took me forever to master the wall jump in Obelisk of Khamoon.

- Atlantis in general.

- Removal of the Cistern level. I actually enjoyed the Cistern puzzle in Tomb of Tihocan, but I would rather they kept the original Cistern and cut most of ToT except for the Centaur fight.

- The QTE actions during boss fights.

Ahhhh thank you, you've just reminded me of something else to add to the list that I'll be editing for years to come. I think I can see what they were going for with the wall grapple they were trying to appeal with ppl who were used to having a grapple in Legend but of course that feature wasn't even close to being in TRO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamayoo View Post
Tombraidering to be triggered.

Ok so TR1 is the only one in my personal Top 5 to not have an unappreciation thread.

- White ledges
- Maybe the one with the most ledge hop plateforming with Shadow
- Confusing lateral jump with the grapple and camera
- Too streamlined in several sections compared to TR1

That's all I guess ?
Ah yes I enjoyed out little spat I'm a sucker for arugments even if I don't when to quit.

Last edited by puristic jink; 06-08-20 at 01:17.