www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider III

Old 08-01-22, 07:30   #1
Craig Michaels
Archaeologist

Default Tracking Down Textures

I'm working on a custom level set in India, and I've been having fun tracking down some of the original artwork that was used for the textures.

So far:
1. The elephant stones (thanks to dissappearing-boy, Angkor, Cambodia: Source: Getty Images)
2. The statue of Ganesha (Dashavatara Temple, India: Source)
3. *Probably* the Apsara dancer, although not exact and not the same frame (Cham, Vietnam: Source).

I'm trying my hand at making these back into textures in TRLE:

Does anyone else know about any of the other texture sources?
Old 08-01-22, 08:04   #2
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Gio Lucca, creator of the HD remaster for TR3 may have detailed these things - might be an idea to get in touch!
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 17:29   #3
.snake.
Archaeologist

Craig Michaels: I think you did an amazing job with this. I'm completely blown away.

Infact, I think Gio Lucca, whom Mizuno mentions, could learn a thing or two from you because personally he took too many liberties with his textures and changed the entire color palette for the India levels. His stuff is still pretty, but yours is a whole new level of accuracy and perfection.

I'm especially impressed that you found the correct Apsara dancer. I always thought it might be this statue, just imposed onto a stone background to look like a mural:

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...tmoreland.html

But yours is definitely the correct one. I think Core just enhanced her breasts a little. They did this a lot actually, I think it was some sort of inside joke amongst the guys at Core. There are lots of goddesses-showing-their-breasts in TR4 scattered all over the place.

Here another one of your Apsara dancer (I think):

https://artsandculture.google.com/st...dwIC_HowG4G_KQ

Have you looked into using any of the Angkor Wat textures from TR4? I know your TRLE is mainly TR3/India focused, but many people don't seem to know that the textures used for TR4's Angkor Wat TGA are actually images taken mainly from the Cambodian Banteay Srei Temple - which explains why the textures are more orange and pink, rather than grey and green like the actual Angkor Wat. Maybe some of the Banteay Srei stuff would help you for your texture search should you want to incorporate some of the TR4 Angkor feel?

What other specific textures are you looking for?

https://helloangkor.com/attractions/banteay-srei-pr-2/
.snake. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 23:12   #4
Craig Michaels
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by .snake. View Post
Craig Michaels: I think you did an amazing job with this. I'm completely blown away.
Thanks!

Quote:
I'm especially impressed that you found the correct Apsara dancer . . .

Have you looked into using any of the Angkor Wat textures from TR4? I know your TRLE is mainly TR3/India focused, but many people don't seem to know that the textures used for TR4's Angkor Wat TGA are actually images taken mainly from the Cambodian Banteay Srei Temple . . .
And thanks for the corroboration on the apsara. I didn't know which temple the TR4 textures were from. I'll look into using textures from the Cambodia levels, and perhaps trying to match the color scheme to TR3 in Photoshop.

Quote:
What other specific textures are you looking for?
Well . . . I have a fantasy of recreating the entire India textureset in HD, but these are the ones I'd especially like to track down:

The two at the top have a series of three carvings of figures that I have hopes *might* correspond to real and recognizable carvings.

EDIT: Update, thanks to you .snake. - I *think* that the frame for the Apsara DOES come from the Bantey Srei temple, at least it's closer than anything I've come across from India:

Last edited by Craig Michaels; 09-01-22 at 00:41.
Craig Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-22, 00:20   #5
jvry
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Michaels View Post
EDIT: Update, thanks to you .snake. - I *think* that the frame for the Apsara DOES come from the Bantey Srei temple, look at this frame! LINK
Sadly that link isn't viewable outside the US. I want to see
jvry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-22, 00:42   #6
Craig Michaels
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvry View Post
Sadly that link isn't viewable outside the US. I want to see
Fixed it - I don't think it's an exact match yet, but the pillars with that curlicue top sure look similar.
Old 09-01-22, 01:58   #7
.snake.
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Michaels View Post
Fixed it - I don't think it's an exact match yet, but the pillars with that curlicue top sure look similar.
I definitely see it, but I think your recreation of that portal the Apsara is 'mounted' on is perfect as is.
Old 09-01-22, 02:47   #8
jvry
Student

The top right of the sought after textures, the guys aren't very clear, but it looks like their legs are bent, and I fancy I can just make out a bench or something behind them (but could be a trick of the pixel).

Long shot, but possibly some of these sitting down guys from the Kanheri caves near Mumbai? It's a Buddhist site rather than Hindu, but they're the closest thing I've seen so far.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...in_cave_02.JPG

Edit:never mind. Snake is right.

Last edited by jvry; 15-01-22 at 21:14.
jvry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-22, 19:48   #9
disapearing-boy
Archaeologist

Haven't seen this thread before now. I once attempted to remake the India texture set before but got stumped just like you.

I suspect the Apsara is a composite - the bigger bust might come from this one from Uttar Pradesh blended with the Cham one - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apsara...P-1062-001.jpg

I used an arch from a different Cham piece - but it wasn't the exact one Core use.

I knew about the Ganesh relief but it's very hard to find a good image of him - well done.

As for the other textures? Your guess is as good as mine.
These two appear to be part of the same structure - I could be wrong but Core seemed incapable of tiling textures in TR3 which leads me to believe they were from a single image.

Last edited by tlr online; 15-01-22 at 21:06. Reason: Image removed. See FAQ on posting images.
disapearing-boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-22, 20:01   #10
.snake.
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by disapearing-boy View Post
I can't pinpoint the exact mural used for this textures, but the little guy at the very top, depicted 3 times, dancing with his flute, is an image of Krishna dancing with his flute:

This obviously isn't the image that was used for the texture, but if you look close enough at the texture you can see that it is definitely this deity. So maybe knowing that might help narrow down the search.