Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider The Last Revelation

Old 18-07-21, 00:30   #41
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frceghst8 View Post
Damn, and here I thought Seht was a god of chaos.
Hehe, well that too. I really enjoy discussions like this.
Jathom95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-21, 00:53   #42
Frceghst8

What better way to spread choas than to possess a national leader like a prime minister or an equivalent. Muuhahaha.
Now, let's get back on subject before we get kicked off the thread.

Last edited by Frceghst8; 18-07-21 at 00:55.
Frceghst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 13:01   #43
Mik9517

Just been playing through this one all the way through for the first time - I had it on PS1 but didn't get very far.

I'm currently on the City of the Dead hub area at the moment - last weekend I did the Chambers of Tulun with the Minotaur and that freaked me out - have had to use Stella's walkthroughs a bit as well due to all the backtracking which is a bit frustrating how you needs things that aren't even in the level you're on to get through.

The Egyptian visuals are amazing and I do like the variety of the puzzles - the game of Senet was great and also using the crowbar as a lever handle in some parts.

Though I love Uncharted 2 I think it's funny Lara had a train level in this game 10 years before that game came out which was fun.

Also really like the plot and fmv sequences as it does actually connect the levels a bit better and the story for me does have inspiration from those Egyptian set adventure films like the Mummy.
Mik9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-21, 13:16   #44
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik9517 View Post
Also really like the plot and fmv sequences as it does actually connect the levels a bit better and the story for me does have inspiration from those Egyptian set adventure films like the Mummy.
What's funny is TR4 and The Mummy came out the exact same year, so any similarities really are purely coincidental. Core actually only picked Egypt specifically as the location for the popularity of Egypt in TR1.
Old 07-08-21, 18:57   #45
Frceghst8

@ Jathom: I thought the mummy came out 2000. TR Revelations came out 1999. That would make them a year apart.
Old 07-08-21, 19:02   #46
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frceghst8 View Post
@ Jathom: I thought the mummy came out 2000. TR Revelations came out 1999. That would make them a year apart.
Nope, The Mummy was released in May of 1999, and the two sequels in 2001 and 2008 respectively. Core actually caught a bit of flak from gaming outlets because the premise was so similar to The Mummy, and since TR4 released later than it, it was believed Core copied concepts from it. I seem to remember Imhotep's return in The Mummy being one of the specific comparisons made, since you obviously have the whole thing with Set and plagues and all of that with TR4.

Last edited by Jathom95; 07-08-21 at 19:07.
Old 07-08-21, 22:20   #47
Frceghst8

Huh, alrighty then. Me, I still prefer TR 3 to TR 4.

Last edited by Frceghst8; 07-08-21 at 22:22.
Old 08-08-21, 14:17   #48
Mik9517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jathom95 View Post
Core actually caught a bit of flak from gaming outlets because the premise was so similar to The Mummy, and since TR4 released later than it, it was believed Core copied concepts from it.
I didn't realise this had actually been something Core received some flak over. I know the Mummy was around the same time and it was the first film O could think of. I can see some similarities but probably was coincidental as they were being made around the same time I would've thought.

I did just mean the plot does have an action-adventure movie feel to it.
Mik9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-21, 14:24   #49
Jathom95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik9517 View Post
I didn't realise this had actually been something Core received some flak over. I know the Mummy was around the same time and it was the first film O could think of. I can see some similarities but probably was coincidental as they were being made around the same time I would've thought.

I did just mean the plot does have an action-adventure movie feel to it.
Yeah, it's really a bit silly honestly that they were sort of scolded over it considering they weren't even the same medium. I guess critics were going the angle of "uninspired", but both TR4 and The Mummy were both kind of the ones that set the precedent in mainstream media together about tombs being synonymous with Egypt in the first place. Since Core did all of their releases around November typically and their Tomb Raider games were completed in under a year, I guess between those several months it could've been surmised, to them at least, that Core had used certain similar concepts even though that obviously wasn't the case.

Last edited by Jathom95; 08-08-21 at 14:27.
Old 08-08-21, 14:34   #50
Frceghst8

A crazy thing about TR 4 is the bulls that try to ram Lara. You can't kill them with any weapon. Are the bulls supposed to be a deity? Or represent a deity?