www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 18-03-20, 16:54   #291
gss_86
Hobbyist

I think other games like FarCry offer more in terms of open world, adventure, sexy looking characters, cool soundtrack.
Old 27-03-20, 18:55   #292
pharaea
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
You people are making up excuses to attack someone because they came for your precious reboot Lara. Rebooters cannot handle any criticism.

He did not force a damn thing on anyone. You guys are just playing Symantec to try and find a reason to be awful.

He specifically said why he was done and why he thinks you may agree with him on it.

Like you people talk so much about others being awful and toxic, just look at how awful, and disgusting you people act, bully when people don't like your rebootist mentality.

Shame
Telling someone what they should or shouldn't like is more toxic than people enjoying a game. I like every era for different reasons, but I enjoy the reboot most. Being an archaeologist myself, i have more fun seeing the detail and craftsmanship that went into the design of challenge tombs and crypts (while they may not always be 100% accurate, you can tell some research has gone into it) than pure fantasy, which classic tr sadly is.

Besides — people got bored of Classic TR because Lara never grew as a character. I love her sarcasm and "kiss my a**" attitude, but she never evolved from that. AOD made an attempt, but it was too little too late. She was boring from a writer's standpoint, and had very little interests outside of tomb raiding. All classic games were largely the same when it comes to Lara, the storyline, and marketing. People got sick of it.

The Reboot isn't going anywhere. I know y'all like to say Lara hasn't changed in the reboot either, but she has — you can tell she's grown disillusioned by the way she talks and reacts to things, that she's still passionate but overwhelmed and stressed. And more importantly: now that the origin trilogy is done, em can (and likely will) steer her into a whole other direction.

If you hate the reboot, fine, do what you want — i honestly don't give a rat's butt. but stop attacking reboot fans who value character growth and love for detail over two-dimensional characters.

Also: classic tr would not sell well in today's climate. it's never coming back. i could spend hours rubbing that one in and making threads to piss off die-hard classic fans, but i'd rather play rise and shadow and enjoy myself. making this thread was toxic because it promoted this exact climate.
Old 27-03-20, 19:13   #293
jajay119
Tomb Raider

The OP of this thread wasn't telling anyone what they should or shouldn't like. The title was poorly chosen but the main post was very clear in opening up discussion to classic era fans who would likely feel the same way as this person. What never fails to surprise me is hardcore reboot fans coming into threads like this just to have a kick off. If you know you won't agree with the content why bother? I'm not even saying I would agree with the premise of this thread in particular but as someone who has been around for a long time I wouldn't go into a 'Classic Lara unappreciation thread' for example and have a moan at the people in there because it's very clear what the intention is.

Also, people didn't get bored of Classic TR because of Lara and she did grow. How you've played every era and don't see that is beyond me. It's a classically innacurate critisism. In fact by the time the game series was getting stale Lara arguably was the only thing holding it up hence when the series got a movie etc. People got bored of TR because the gameplay, the main reason to play games, did not evolve enough and not in enough time. The fact AOD sold more than TRC despite being on less platforms despite its very well known issues is testament to that. The fact that both Legend and the reboot sold well only for following entries to lose sales due to lack of innovation is testament to the problem with TR always having been the gameplay not meaningfully evolving enough. Ironically, it's only this era where the lack of 'Tomb Raider' gameplay and character complaints have been equally as prevalent. I don't ever remember anyone complaining about CLara or LAU Lara as a character being the issue with their respective eras and I've been here for all of them and enjoyed them all in different ways. It was only in the promotion for the reboot era this whole 'ice queen/didn't evolve' mentality started to propagate ironically started and spread mistakenly by Crystal themselves'.

Last edited by jajay119; 27-03-20 at 19:19.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-20, 20:36   #294
Zebra
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharaea View Post
Telling someone what they should or shouldn't like is more toxic than people enjoying a game. I like every era for different reasons, but I enjoy the reboot most. Being an archaeologist myself, i have more fun seeing the detail and craftsmanship that went into the design of challenge tombs and crypts (while they may not always be 100% accurate, you can tell some research has gone into it) than pure fantasy, which classic tr sadly is.

Besides — people got bored of Classic TR because Lara never grew as a character. I love her sarcasm and "kiss my a**" attitude, but she never evolved from that. AOD made an attempt, but it was too little too late. She was boring from a writer's standpoint, and had very little interests outside of tomb raiding. All classic games were largely the same when it comes to Lara, the storyline, and marketing. People got sick of it.

The Reboot isn't going anywhere. I know y'all like to say Lara hasn't changed in the reboot either, but she has — you can tell she's grown disillusioned by the way she talks and reacts to things, that she's still passionate but overwhelmed and stressed. And more importantly: now that the origin trilogy is done, em can (and likely will) steer her into a whole other direction.

If you hate the reboot, fine, do what you want — i honestly don't give a rat's butt. but stop attacking reboot fans who value character growth and love for detail over two-dimensional characters.

Also: classic tr would not sell well in today's climate. it's never coming back. i could spend hours rubbing that one in and making threads to piss off die-hard classic fans, but i'd rather play rise and shadow and enjoy myself. making this thread was toxic because it promoted this exact climate.
Most of that is very subjective. For example, I'd argue that classic Lara had way more depth than reboot Lara does. To me, reboot Lara feels very inconsistent in her characterisation. Like they cannot make up their mind what they want her to be and the result just ends up feeling boring and messy. There's also a decided lack of nuance. It's as if the writers don't understand that a character doesn't always need to utter their every single thought and feeling for players to pick up on them. That's part of why classic Lara worked so well (for me, at least). She barely ever talked about her feelings but if you knew her backstory and played the games, you could tell that there was an inner logical consistency, that there was a consistent personality there which informed everything she did. It's just that that personality was communicated through action as opposed to through Lara talking to herself for the entirety of the game.
Old 27-03-20, 23:28   #295
krycekuva
Relic Hunter

well,... bye!
krycekuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 01:50   #296
Error96
Explorer

Quote:
I don't really get the two-dimensional jibe at classic Lara when reboot seems to be a worse offender on this point. Classic can be ruthless, elegant, playful etc. Reboot Lara just doesn't seem to have many sides to her and her constant vocalisation of her thoughts leaves little to explore or surprise us. I will exclude Jonah from my criticism as I feel he has really grown through the games. It's not about attacking other fans rather saying the devs should be doing a better job with Lara.
Old 28-03-20, 02:01   #297
charmedangelin
Inactive

Quote:
Zzzzz.......
Quit the grandstanding and dramatics, gurl you know damn well that he wasn't doing anything to anyone. You want to talk about toxic? Take a look at your own post again.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 03:28   #298
SoraSakai
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
Quit the grandstanding and dramatics, gurl you know damn well that he wasn't doing anything to anyone. You want to talk about toxic? Take a look at your own post again.
Why you ending your post as if you just dropped some fire diss track?
Old 28-03-20, 04:01   #299
charmedangelin
Inactive

Edit

Nevermind not worth it
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-20, 04:25   #300
SoraSakai
Professor

Anyway,
I’m not done with Tomb Raider and ain’t nobody gonna tell me how to think.