Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Level Editor and Modding > Tomb Raider Level Editor > Software Development

Old 10-01-19, 12:04   #231
Ruu11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Full View Post
omg I love your voice

I just can say that this entire thing seems definitely HARDER than it looks...
I'm not even motivated enough to try it again lmao I surrender T.T
Ruu11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 14:06   #232
DJ Full

Actually it isn't. In this video I deliberately did some things I didn't have to.
The only essential part is importing the object, duplicating it and baking.
Also you setup it once and then you use the preset for every object.

tl;dr such switch takes 5 minutes if you acknowledge the prerequisities.

I'm gonna stream this and forc... convince agent and shabab to do the same...
It will be really easier for everyone to learn if we repeat it over and over.
DJ Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 14:30   #233
Dustie

This is probably completely irrelevant but I'll just throw it in here that TE has options for applying padding to level and object textures.

There, I hope that didn't just make your life a lot more complicated.
Dustie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 17:59   #234
Caesum

And WADTool for Tomb Editor has option to load objects fully uvw textured. No cropping needed.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 18:24   #235
DJ Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustie View Post
TE has options for applying padding to level and object textures.
There, I hope that didn't just make your life a lot more complicated.
It did but in a good way. Gotta try because I didn't yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesum View Post
And WADTool for Tomb Editor has option to load objects fully uv textured.
I tried. The result was so bad Monty asked me to send him the files...
Waiting for his reply right now, maybe he knows something....
But I guess the issue core is what teme says. The resolution.
So that would mean the method is simply not for classic objects...
And it makes sense, I could actually cut 72 faces manually....
I guess I wanted to take it too easy and in return did an overkill.

Just in case if I'm wrong, and it's very likely I am...
Hang in there people, the second video is coming.
I can guarantee it's even more painful than the first one.
But will upload faster since I managed a single segment.
Don't have to waste time for rendering at least....

This isn't the video I announced yet, it's just me after last week.
Old 10-01-19, 19:02   #236
Caesum

^ The issue could also be just incorrectly applied uvw mapping or WADTool's incompatibility with the method used. I also sent some broken 3ds max meshes to Monty some time ago, yet at the same time Baratheon managed to successfully import HQ objects from other games without any issue. What is great about the WADTool is how you can just send the files to be investigated and the fix is made in few days, while in case of other TRLE related tools the only thing you can do is to remake the objects so hopefully the tools will correctly read them.
Caesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-19, 19:36   #237
DJ Full

I will think about it as soon as I'm done with this.
All right, the sequel....

Old 11-01-19, 13:21   #238
teme9

Hopefully I did not miss anything from your video The seams seem still very visible on your model. I think this might be the best result you can have unfortunately. I would love to see your work files about the switch. I'd like to take a peek and go through them if could spot something that is out of place. If that suits you of course

About the resize / swap wording. You're absolutely correct that it was confusing! I didn't even stop to think it that way. By not having English as my first language, stuff like this happens way too easily.

About the resizing:
The way you did is one way to do it. Creating an empty texture then saving it and resizing it in another program - it works. Blender does not have resize function to scale textures up in the UV/Image editor. Alternative way is to create a new texture in Blender by pressing the + button in the UV/Image editing view and making it have that 512x 512 size. You would then need to assign this to the object that you're about to bake to. Basically going into the edit mode, selecting all vertices of the object and selecting all UV islands in the UV editor then selecting the newly created bigger texture from the drop down menu in the UV editor view.

About the baking options:
"Clear" basically is an option that tells Blender to erase all the data from the texture that it bakes to before it starts to bake. If you leave this box unchecked it will just bake over the current active texture that it is going to bake to.
"Selection to Active" basically tells the Baker to render all the selected objects onto the active object. If you leave this out it will try bake all the objects that are selected using the scene lighting & materials. In this case your lightmapped packed object would not receive any textures from the original model and would result most likely in a blank black texture.

Also baking does not support alpha channel as far as I now. It cannot bake transparency correctly.

Lost bake result

The reason why you lost the texture after baking, saving and quitting Blender is quite simple: you forgot to save your texture out!

If you check your video around 7:51 - 9:27 you will notice that in the UV editor view near the drop down menu there's a navigation text near the bottom of the view called "Image". Next to that is a "*" symbol that indicates that the result has not been saved out. Saving the Blender file does not save the render/bake result automatically.

UV/Image editor texture changes between modes
UV image editor does react to the mode you are in on the 3D view. That is one of the reason why it changes. It also can change depending of your selection in edit mode. It will try to show you what your current selection is on your 3D model and tries to show you what that current selection uses as a texture. When you go out from the edit mode it will most likely swap to something else that you were looking during object mode. (It's a rather confusing "feature").

Texture resize up-down
The scale up / down part is an optional part which may help to improve the texture quality. Sometimes the bake result can become a little bit blurry when rendering to the actual use size. When you bake it at higher res it has more detail that when resized back to the actual size may improve the look and feel of the texture. It's pretty much a gimmick though.

Seeing information about the current texture in UV editor
About the UV/Image editor: There are no rulers available as far as I know but luckily there is a way to get information about the current texture.

If you navigate to the bottom of the view and look for the "view" menu there should be an option to toggle visibility of properties toolbar.

I hope this was helpful Let me know if I missed some points of yours and I'll get back to you!
teme9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-19, 03:58   #239
DJ Full

Thank you for all the insight, I'll check it soon
I'm building a map right now and I need a day or two.
Old 02-10-19, 11:17   #240
sapper

I'm updating my Blender addon for Blender 2.8 but have realised that someone needs to update teme9's tutorial for Blender 2.8 as well.

I don't know Blender well enough to know if the baking process is still possible.

Using teme9's tutorial download here http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...&postcount=224 as a reference can someone update it for Blender 2.8?

teme9 you still about?
sapper is offline   Reply With Quote