www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider

Old 03-11-20, 18:46   #911
MacGary
Hobbyist

It's the last version of Windows 10 (20H2) Home and it says I cannot run Installation program on this system, it will not work in 64bit system and so on... Compatibility mode set to Windows 95/98/Me does not help either so in fact I cannot just install this CD on my computer.
-------------------------------
Solved by manually copying key files to 'tombraid' folder and adding tombpath.txt file to main C: folder as it was in original DOS times. Thanks for that hint!!! Everything works now!

Last edited by MacGary; 03-11-20 at 19:01.
MacGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-20, 20:18   #912
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGary View Post
Windows 10 Home and it says I cannot run Installation program on this system, it will not work in 64bit system... Compatibility mode set to Windows 95/98/Me does not help either
yeah that's inevitable, one of those cases where compatibility mode... doesn't compute at all
and as you probably know, it's been like that since day one on WinXP and all the WinNT lineage, not to speak of the 64bit architecture mess-up

main reason I guess an installer of sorts may be serviceable at wrapping things up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGary View Post
Solved by manually copying key files to 'tombraid' folder and adding tombpath.txt file to main C: folder as it was in original DOS times.
wow, congrats mate
you really got to the point straightaway

in fact the tombpath.txt thing (just a simple text referencing... what else, TRI path ie good old c:\tombraid default, 8-letter flat naming) is/was a token of a successful installation, and it so happens that it's just one of the checks I've been using,
even though a real tombraid folder's presence is by now wholly irrelevant to the installer's procedure (but not to a part of the legitimacy checks)

so you circumvented the msdos/win9x related, pure delirious catch-22 rule conundrum

well done indeed.

Last edited by gidierre; 03-11-20 at 20:44.
gidierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-20, 01:03   #913
MacGary
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidierre View Post
wow, congrats mate
you really got to the point straightaway
If it wasn't for your guides and my memory from nearly quarter-century ago... it wouldn't be possible. Big Thanks, and even more thanks for this awsome modern age capable installer.
MacGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-20, 09:07   #914
gidierre
Grease Monkey

After running more tests on new pc's I came to the conclusion I'd better go and second Opaque79's feedback so that changes in the recent patch I made are now worth becoming the default

so I had to ditch v1.7.8.2 and the patch as well, and recompiled necessarily to 1.7.8.3

no big deal, but it now subsumes the customized cycles figures for TR I and UB

I also made some minor refurbishments in the configuration files, namely in the cpu, mixer and joystick sections (thanks Opaque79 for this too) for the sake of a better performance, especially on newer hardware arrangements.

Link:
https://dl.tombraiderhub.com/TR1v1783.zip
Old Yesterday, 20:33   #915
Raina Audron
Hobbyist

Hello Gidierre!

I have similar issues as some people above me.

I have used patch 1.6 in the past from you without issues. I have changed computers and downloaded your latest patch v1783 and installed it fine (C:/Program Files/Eidos/tombraider). Then, when I try to play (I put my CD of TR1 into the drive, I did not install CD version as it is incompatible with my system), it gives the following error: "sorry, no valid TR1 installation has been detected: the game will not start."

I do own gog and steam versions (they are not installed) and bought the CD version of the game as well because I thought I need the disc to be able to play instead. Can you please help? I did not have this issue with your older patch version and it ran fine.

I also sent this as PM but not sure it worked (I cant see anything in my sent messages), sorry for the trouble!

Last edited by Raina Audron; Yesterday at 20:54.
Raina Audron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 21:44   #916
gidierre
Grease Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raina Audron View Post
Hello Gidierre!

I have similar issues as some people above me.

I have used patch 1.6 in the past from you without issues. I have changed computers and downloaded your latest patch v1783 and installed it fine (C:/Program Files/Eidos/tombraider). Then, when I try to play (I put my CD of TR1 into the drive, I did not install CD version as it is incompatible with my system), it gives the following error: "sorry, no valid TR1 installation has been detected: the game will not start."

I do own gog and steam versions (they are not installed) and bought the CD version of the game as well because I thought I need the disc to be able to play instead. Can you please help? I did not have this issue with your older patch version and it ran fine.

I also sent this as PM but not sure it worked (I cant see anything in my sent messages), sorry for the trouble!
thanks for your interest
I can see how that happened with v1.7.8.3 as opposed to earlier versions of the same tool whose scripts were different validation-wise
in practice, this is surely caused by gog/steam stuff being (not yet) installed

don't worry, there's a very simple and direct fix for this
I received your PM and I'll reply with instructions via PM too
check your inbox, if you don't get my reply post again here