www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider II

Old 19-04-20, 17:16   #1
Ewerton Pires
Student

Default Tomb Raider II PSX CDDA ambiance like PC version

Hello!
I have original Tomb Raider II PlayStation version, and I'd like to know if there's a way to make the ambiance CDDA tracks repeating like PC version. When Lara picks up a secret or the ambiance sound is interrupted by other CDDA sound, it simply stops.
Thanks.
Old 19-04-20, 18:25   #2
klona
Golden

Usually saving and reloading restores it. I don't know if there's any other way.
Old 19-04-20, 23:03   #3
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

Hey. Can you explain your process?

Are you playing it via an emulator? If so, repackage your game image into an eboot.pbp file by PSX2PSP (popstation), then load that eboot within eg. ePSXe. Eboots load via "load ISO".

The conversion to eboot fixes TOC and CDDA issues without needing to change the cd rom plugin/complex cdda settings. This is how I've successfully played TR1 and TR2 via emu for years, and is also very helpful using the TR1 and TR2 PSX level converters for authentic testing. It has fixed repeating Lara lines in her home and, also repeating OST music.

Eboot is not a fan made file type - I believe the ps2 introduced it into wide use but, the PS1 runs the format too.

Within psx2psp/popstation make sure to use 0% compression. You want a completely lossless result.

Last edited by mizuno_suisei; 19-04-20 at 23:06.
mizuno_suisei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-20, 23:08   #4
mizuno_suisei
Relic Hunter

If your eboot does not play back audio, you MAY have to google for a pop station (expansion program), it's called popstation_toc from memory. I dont know what TOC stands for but it must be related to CDDA
Old 20-04-20, 04:02   #5
Ewerton Pires
Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizuno_suisei View Post
If your eboot does not play back audio, you MAY have to google for a pop station (expansion program), it's called popstation_toc from memory. I dont know what TOC stands for but it must be related to CDDA
Thank you so much, I'll try it.
Old 20-04-20, 21:00   #6
Mek
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewerton Pires
I have original Tomb Raider II PlayStation version, and I'd like to know if there's a way to make the ambiance CDDA tracks repeating like PC version. When Lara picks up a secret or the ambiance sound is interrupted by other CDDA sound, it simply stops.
I play on PC and I have this problem too. Maybe this is because I use the first version of the game without any patches which plays tracks from the CD. The tracks are written in Audio CD format and the CD itself is a Mixed Mode CD.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-20, 12:45   #7
Dermahn
Hobbyist

^On PC the game sets an incorrect value for the music volume. Reducing it from 10 to 9 in the options menu should fix it
Dermahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-20, 16:33   #8
Mek
Historian

Dermahn, I've just checked it, but unfortunately the problem didn't vanish. When I launched the game, I saw that the music volume was set to 10. I decreased it to 9 and loaded a level. I moved Lara to an area that starts playing a short music track different than the main one that you hear just after starting the level. When it ended, I heard nothing in the speakers. I also saw that the CD drive stopped, the disc wasn't spinning in the drive and nothing was being read from it. (When the music is playing, the CD spins and it is continuously read.) After that, I decreased the volume even more, but nothing changed.

Maybe this problem was fixed in a patch? As I've mentioned, I play the first version of the game, from 1997, without any patches.
Mek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-20, 17:36   #9
Arsunt
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mek View Post
Dermahn, I've just checked it, but unfortunately the problem didn't vanish. When I launched the game, I saw that the music volume was set to 10. I decreased it to 9 and loaded a level. I moved Lara to an area that starts playing a short music track different than the main one that you hear just after starting the level. When it ended, I heard nothing in the speakers. I also saw that the CD drive stopped, the disc wasn't spinning in the drive and nothing was being read from it. (When the music is playing, the CD spins and it is continuously read.) After that, I decreased the volume even more, but nothing changed.

Maybe this problem was fixed in a patch? As I've mentioned, I play the first version of the game, from 1997, without any patches.
Can you share your exe? I'll check what build date it has and if there is a function that recovers ambient track in the code. I'm quite sure that this recover function is presented in most TR2 exe versions.
Old 22-04-20, 05:42   #10
Ewerton Pires
Student

Ok, I'm convinced that actually there's no way to make PlayStation Tomb Raider 2 cdda ambiance sounds working like PC version. I have Ps1 fat SCPH-9001 and original Tomb Raider 2 disc, and I still no hearing the ambiance cdda tracks resuming after interrupted by other sound trigger. Does anyone here on the forum found the ambient cdda sound tracks repeating after interrupted on ps1 version? It's just a curiosity, cause I don't know if this is related to the PlayStation revision.