www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Rise of the Tomb Raider

Old 08-03-18, 13:32   #11
iWANEX
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Reboot and Rise were generic and boring - mainly due to level design, lack of actual tombs and naff music scores.
Whereas the originals were bright, unique and had amazing music.
Resident Evil 4 was a masterpiece and a nice sequel to the first ones. The classics were stale and the controls dated. RE4 reintroduced the saga to a new generation and it's highly praised by fans of RE. I don't know what are you talking about. The controls were awesome then. So good that most games copied them. Oh, and Leon is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcw123 View Post
Reboot and Rise were generic and boring - mainly due to level design, lack of actual tombs and naff music scores.
Whereas the originals were bright, unique and had amazing music.
I find Tomb Raider 2013 and Rise of the Tomb Raider to be very compelling video games by today's standards. That's why they are highly praised by media and gamers. Too bad nobody wants to play the classics anymore, though. As much as I love them, I don't see anyone playing them any time soon due to the tank controls. LAU is as far as they'd go.
iWANEX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-18, 14:20   #12
Costel
Archaeologist

Are we talking about tombs as burial places or are we talking about tombs and ancient ruins but we referring to ancient ruins as tombs also?
Old 08-03-18, 14:25   #13
Grimaldi
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
The difference is TR2/3 had the core Tomb Raider elements throughout all levels, despite whether it was a "Tomb" or not.
That’s what I was saying. I was pointing out “lack of tombs” is incorrect, and a complaint you hear too often. The reboot is filled with tombs, but the games aren’t built as traditional “Tomb Raider” ones, and that’s where the change needs to be.
Grimaldi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-18, 14:55   #14
tomee
Tomb Raider

I can't believe people in 2018 are STILL talking about the # of tomb locations. Mind you some of these folks are the same people who swear the Angel of Darkness was the best game in the entire series with its whopping number of 2 tombs in the entire game.

It's "tomb RAIDER" not "TOMB raider". If tombs were of the utmost important factor in the series then TRL and TRU would be up there as the best and TRIII and TRII should be considered trash. That's not the case though. What matters is what you do in the locations of the game and not where the game takes you. Gameplay is far superior.
Old 08-03-18, 15:30   #15
Costel
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomee View Post
I can't believe people in 2018 are STILL talking about the # of tomb locations. Mind you some of these folks are the same people who swear the Angel of Darkness was the best game in the entire series with its whopping number of 2 tombs in the entire game.

It's "tomb RAIDER" not "TOMB raider". If tombs were of the utmost important factor in the series then TRL and TRU would be up there as the best and TRIII and TRII should be considered trash. That's not the case though. What matters is what you do in the locations of the game and not where the game takes you. Gameplay is far superior.
Actually is TOMB RAIDER. Both important to the game.
Old 12-03-18, 02:48   #16
SilentRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutUpReyes View Post
"I bet it's Joseph Anderson."
*clicks link*
Oh yeah!

Makes great videos. It was these ones I found him with.

Should get him writing a TR game tbh.
Whaaa? What a coincidence.

I just discovered his reviews of these two games. Though I don't know what to make of him as a induvidual.

Last edited by SilentRain; 12-03-18 at 02:49.
SilentRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-18, 15:20   #17
charmedangelin
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
Resident Evil 4 was a masterpiece and a nice sequel to the first ones. The classics were stale and the controls dated. RE4 reintroduced the saga to a new generation and it's highly praised by fans of RE. I don't know what are you talking about. The controls were awesome then. So good that most games copied them. Oh, and Leon is amazing.
Exactly RE 4 was a masterpiece and an excellent Resident Evil game. It was like Breath of the Wild was to Zelda. Reboot Tomb Raider on the other hand was not the Tomb Raider game we were hoping to get.
Old 12-03-18, 19:22   #18
Mickybyrne20
Professor

Resident Evil 4 is not a masterpiece. It's essentially the same as 5, but a little more creepy and more inventory management. It's an OK game, with an annoying side character (Ashley).

Not even a horror/survival game.

As for the older Resident Evil games I've never played them. Only 4,5, ORC, 6, 7.
Mickybyrne20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-18, 17:10   #19
SilentRain

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post

The fans of the old RE games would disagree with you on that. Also, ''Leon being amazing''? That smug, cliche-hero type wannabe bastard, you call ''amazing''.

Wow. Okay.
SilentRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-18, 18:36   #20
tomekkobialka
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider95 View Post
The difference is TR2/3 had the core Tomb Raider elements throughout all levels, despite whether it was a "Tomb" or not.
This is an important point, and I'd just like to add my thoughts on what role "tombs" really play in the TR games, and how they evolved throughout the series:

In the first Tomb Raider game, the story was straightforward: retrieve three pieces of an artefact from three hidden locations over the world. In Peru, you raid the Tomb of Qualopec. In Greece, you raid the Tomb of Tihocan. In Egypt, you raid the Sanctuary of the Scion...see, it is already unclear from the name whether it's only tombs which Lara raids, or secret locations in general. Nevertheless, the structure of the game is clear: you arrive at multiple locations and progressively work your way towards a "tomb" with some treasure.

By Tomb Raider 2, however, it is already abundantly clear that the game is not about raiding "tombs" per se, but about the act of raiding in general. E.g. A Venetian opera house is clearly not a tomb.

This is even further exemplified in Tomb Raider 3, where none of the four artefact sections have a tomb as the end goal. India? Some caves. Nevada? A UFO. South Pacific? A temple. London? Sophia's office. Yet still, each section of the game is based on the idea that you arrive at some starting point, and then it's up to you, the gamer, to figure out the way forward to reach the end point...whatever it may be, a UFO, a skyscraper, or whatever.

It's all about the journey.

In Tomb Raider 4, we see a return to raiding actual tombs. But this can be treated incidentally. The game happens to be set in Egypt, which is known for its tombs. And when we come to Tomb Raider 5, we return to "raiding" high-security buildings, military outposts, and so on.

I hope it's clear by now how the "tombs" in the games since TR2013 bear little resemblance to what we got in TR before. They're just side rooms with puzzles. It's more or less a "trick" the developers used just so that if some journalist asks "This is Tomb Raider, so where are the tombs?!?!" (which is already missing the point), Karl or Noah could point to the side rooms and say: "Look, there they are!" Besides that, they're just things to do on the side. Which is fine, of course - every adventure game has something like that. But let's not kid ourselves - this doesn't actually create some continuity of the reboot with the previous games, just because they're called "tombs"!

Last edited by tomekkobialka; 21-03-18 at 18:38.
tomekkobialka is offline   Reply With Quote