www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Modding > Tomb Raider Modding

Old 11-03-18, 22:50   #1
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Default The chairlift (or thinking outside the box)

We have not enough TRLE custom game makers that think outside of the box, and actually create unusual and interesting things that Lara can do using the limited game engines that we have.

One of the best tools that can be applied to custom levels is to be able to create new meshes, either by 3Dmeta or 3Dmax or other such mesh making tools.

I have had a custom level maker recently asking how I transformed a mine cart level into a chairlift, and the answer was 3D meta using pixstr and strpix to input new meshes into a level. Also Rview_50_R3 to create an open space for the chairlift to operate.

In the following video, I made a mine cart route into a chairlift route by adding a vertical beam onto the mine cart with its cart wheels removed, which matches onto a new overhead trackway. The exisitng floor level mine track was removed. A very visual cloud skybox was introduced, and the main flying island was built using 3Dmeta and put into the deadspace of the skybox. (located in the deadspace between level and the skybox perimeter).

So have a look at my video and start thinking outside the box for your next custom game, as 3D mesh changing is most useful for the above and creating changes to Lara, make new characters and baddies, weapons and vehicles.

Your creative mind should have no limits

Old 12-03-18, 17:00   #2
CheshireBitch
Archaeologist

this is an awesome idea !!
CheshireBitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-18, 17:05   #3
Laras Dream
Archaeologist

Impressed!
Laras Dream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-18, 00:00   #4
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Thanks guys, here is another short video showing how you can modify an existing vehicle 'the jeep' using 3Dmeta to add more meshes, including quadbike body, to make it more impressive, plus creating an interesting sky trackway protruding way into the sky using giant brackets off the floating island. Its a long drop to the ground

I have cheated a bit in the video, by swapping to an exploded vehicle, half way through the video

The usefulness of this video is to show that if a custom game maker is creating a multi-level game, one of the levels can have a visual stunning and interesting gameplay trying to get the vehicle through the level in one piece....

Last edited by The Great Chi; 14-03-18 at 13:43.
The Great Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-18, 19:37   #5
thewolf
Historian

Thumbs up

Wow Chi , you always come up with surprising things

Really cool
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-18, 19:53   #6
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf View Post
Wow Chi , you always come up with surprising things
Surprising things is what you custom level designers should come up with, and this is what this thread is about.

Thinking out of the box, is to get away from the standard square box layout, the same old baddies and same old animals that are available.

Lets get Lara on an animal (build the animal around the Lara model), or a baddie on an animal or reptile, or as in this video, A model of Lara is fixed onto a modified boar, and the boar is doing the running, (Lara is in the video below but she is invisible ).

Instead of Lara on the boar, a baddy could be riding it instead, and attacking Lara. You get the idea.

So by changing meshes around you can come up with interesting things, and that's what many of your players want, so think out of the box and put some magic into your next custom game

EDIT....Video now gone

Last edited by The Great Chi; 26-03-18 at 20:31.
Old 14-03-18, 14:44   #7
thewolf
Historian

I don't know how to do such changes
Needs a lot of experience surely......

Building with the DXtre3d is already hard enough for me and I also like the old baddies(some of them)
thewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-18, 18:34   #8
The Great Chi
The Inscrutable One

I was hoping custom level makers would be interested in using 3Dmeta, so I made a tutorial on 3Dmeta, over a year ago, it does get easier to use once you start to get the hang of it, see link....
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/show...ghlight=3dmeta

Far too many baddies.....
One the limitations with the TR game engines, is that we cannot exceed Lara plus six baddies in the one scene, otherwise some parts of the baddies wink in and out of existence

A way to get around this, is once again using 3dmeta to create a new baddie or baddie(s). In this video below I make use of an invisible crocodile with four guards on top, so it looks like a troup of baddies, so you get four baddies for the price of one

Have a look at this video of mine, and you can see a rather large army, with no visual problems encountered, and by using the above method you can create quite a lot of permutations of new baddies

EDIT....video now gone

Last edited by The Great Chi; 26-03-18 at 20:31.