Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > New Member Introductions, Birthdays and Congratulations

Old 14-11-19, 19:03   #1
Kidd Bowyer

Default Glad to be here

Hello!

My name is Kidd, I was born in England, in the town where they invented stamps. Ever since a friend from round the corner lent us Tomb Raider II, I have been absolutely in love with Lara Croft, and all her adventures.

At the age of eighteen, I ran away from home and came to Texas, where I've been living with my wife for the past ten years. We've got two cats, both of whom are absolutely adorable idiots.

By day, I work at a call center, hiding my English accent as best I can. By night and by weekend, I'm either doing comedy at a local geek convention, working on creating visual novels, or relaxing with some of my favorite childhood games.

As for Lara, I'm kind of an odd duck. I've played every game except the handheld ones and Guardian/Temple. I'm technically in the "old school" camp, but I'm fine with 2013! Lara.
I consider her an entirely separate character from the original, over-the-top bad-ass Lara, and as crazy as it may sound...I'd love to see a story where the two of 'em interact.*

That said, my heart will always belong to the shades-wearing, back-flipping, Dragon-blasting maniac who almost single-handedly put yetis onto the Endangered Species List.

*I mean, come on, you've got a bright, but rash archaeology nerd who's deeply emotional and occasionally downright angsty paired up with an older, more sarcastic, and borderline callous adventurer-for-hire. You can't tell me it wouldn't be one HELL of a "buddy cop" story.

As for why I'm here, well...After re-playing the first game on GlidOS, I found out that there's still an active community of people making their own levels, and thanks to the videos of AgentXP...I've fallen down a rabbit hole of wanting to play every custom level, and perhaps one day create my own.

I hope to have fun with all of you!

Last edited by Kidd Bowyer; 14-11-19 at 19:22. Reason: Images removed. See FAQ on posting images.
Kidd Bowyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-19, 22:11   #2
Rai

Welcome to the forum

Yetis on the endangered species list? How can I put this gently? As basically mythical creatures, I think they're safe .
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-19, 23:14   #3
tlr online
Tomb Raider Forums

Smile

Welcome aboard.
tlr online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-19, 00:46   #4
Daft Raider
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Bowyer View Post
At the age of eighteen, I ran away from home and came to Texas, where I've been living with my wife for the past ten years. We've got two cats, both of whom are absolutely adorable idiots.

By day, I work at a call center, hiding my English accent as best I can. By night and by weekend, I'm either doing comedy at a local geek convention, working on creating visual novels, or relaxing with some of my favorite childhood games.
Welcome to the forum! I have to say, these two bits in your post kind of took me back. Can I ask why you ran away, and why you hide your accent? I would love to have a British accent, so I find it intriguing that you choose to hide yours.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-19, 15:52   #5
Kidd Bowyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
Welcome to the forum

Yetis on the endangered species list? How can I put this gently? As basically mythical creatures, I think they're safe .
Fair enough, but you know that Classic! Lara's broken more than a few records for Big Game Hunting. I mean, just think of all those poor South China Tigers from TR2. PETA'd have a bloody field day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider
I have to say, these two bits in your post kind of took me back. Can I ask why you ran away, and why you hide your accent? I would love to have a British accent, so I find it intriguing that you choose to hide yours.
I was a very sheltered kid (Kidd?) with a fairly troubled upbringing. When it came time for me to finally "begin my adult life", rather than heading off to Uni, I hopped on a plane to Texas. It's been chaos ever since, but much like our favorite heroine, putting some distance between myself and my old life really helped me grow into the person I was meant to be.

As for the accent stuff, well...Almost ever job I've had has been in customer service, and while that's supposed to mean helping people out and making sure they're happy, most companies don't see it that way.
It's all about getting things done fast, and it's hard to keep conversations under two minutes when people're asking you where you're from and if you like Sherlock.

That said, whenever I'm off the clock, or I run into another UK person, I always make sure to ask 'em where they're from, what they miss the most, and how weird it is living in the US.
Old 15-11-19, 16:14   #6
Daft Raider
Inactive

Quote:
I was a very sheltered kid (Kidd?) with a fairly troubled upbringing. When it came time for me to finally "begin my adult life", rather than heading off to Uni, I hopped on a plane to Texas. It's been chaos ever since, but much like our favorite heroine, putting some distance between myself and my old life really helped me grow into the person I was meant to be.

As for the accent stuff, well...Almost ever job I've had has been in customer service, and while that's supposed to mean helping people out and making sure they're happy, most companies don't see it that way.
It's all about getting things done fast, and it's hard to keep conversations under two minutes when people're asking you where you're from and if you like Sherlock.

That said, whenever I'm off the clock, or I run into another UK person, I always make sure to ask 'em where they're from, what they miss the most, and how weird it is living in the US.
Oh wow, that's really inspiring that you flew to an entirely new country at such a young age to make a better life for yourself. I'm really glad you're happy now and in a better place now!

That makes sense I suppose, I actually work in customer service as well! I talk on the phones too so I know how it is trying to keep your talk time down.

Thanks for elaborating!

So to throw those questions back at you, what do you miss the most, and how weird is it living in the US compared to the UK? (I take it you've lived here a while, so it might not be that weird, but I'll ask anyway. )

Last edited by Daft Raider; 15-11-19 at 16:15.
Daft Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-19, 17:51   #7
Cat Woman

Welcome to the forum Kidd Bowyer. I was actually born in England. We moved to Canada when I was a child and I lost my accent pretty fast as we moved to Montreal. All my friends were French so picked that up pretty fast and kept it up.

Last edited by Cat Woman; 15-11-19 at 17:52.
Cat Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-19, 18:59   #8
Kidd Bowyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Raider View Post
So to throw those questions back at you, what do you miss the most, and how weird is it living in the US compared to the UK? (I take it you've lived here a while, so it might not be that weird, but I'll ask anyway. )

I'll give you two answers to the first question. My first answer is probably bordering on a tad too political, but I do very much miss the simplicity of health-related stuff. There've been times over here where I've gone to the ER room, waited for four hours, been told "Oh, it's not that bad, take a week off work and buy some stuff from CVS" and then been given a bill that's approximately two months of rent.

A less controversial answer would be cheap British food. Stuff like Angel Delight, Jacob's Crackers, Lucozade, Heinz Beans, McVities and Aeros are seen as "exotic foods", and due to the fact they have to be imported...suddenly all my favorite childhood snacks are basically birthday and Christmas treats only.

As for the weirdness, it varies from place to place. Dallas is just kind of a generic city, the only thing that's weird is just how big some of the churches are. Now, if I go somewhere like Jacksonville, FL, or Atlanta, GA, there's more...weirdness? Like the Coca Cola Museum, that place is a goddamn TRIP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Woman
Welcome to the forum Kidd Bowyer. I was actually born in England. We moved to Canada when I was a child and I lost my accent pretty fast as we moved to Montreal. All my friends were French so picked that up pretty fast and kept it up.
That's so cool! I've always been curious about Canadian French! I found out pretty quickly that the European French I learned in high school doesn't always make sense to Quebecois...
Old 10-12-19, 17:15   #9
Legends

Welcome, Kidd I still love your avatar.

Quote:
hiding my English accent as best I can.
I hope you're doing a better job at that than Camilla.
Legends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-19, 15:06   #10
Woops

whatever

Last edited by Woops; 12-12-19 at 17:58. Reason: mods :)
Woops is offline   Reply With Quote