Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider Chronicles

Old 09-10-20, 13:50   #21
mepsipax

Possibly! It was in that room anyway, it was either the floating head or the trapdoor I didn't spot. I thought for a while at that point I hated it but I got back on board with it.
mepsipax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-20, 03:50   #22
TRExpertgamer
Inactive

This is definitely the most fun Tomb Raider game I've ever played even while Core Design was still working on developing AOD simultaneously as well!!
TRExpertgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-20, 23:43   #23
Maiden England

Chronicles ...Love that game, So many memories!
Maiden England is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-20, 18:06   #24
_KC_

Damn. I was 12 years old when this game came out.

I love this game. There are some genuinely great environments, and I was happy to see more variety in the levels over TLR.

I can't say how much I LOVED being able to finally shimmy around corners.

Didn't care much for the tightrope, though.

I still think about those Russians in the Submarine, the ghosts and preacher of Ireland, the last minute change of Jean-Yves...

I'm not saying the game is perfect by any means but, *puts on nostagia goggles*, I don't think it's as bad as everyone says!
_KC_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-20, 12:50   #25
Piega

I wont say chronicles is bad! But spoiled to me. I started with the level editor first and played the game in between. What ruined it for me was the magic how the game was created having a peek behind the scenes.
Piega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-20, 20:40   #26
CircusBabysGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by _KC_ View Post
Damn. I was 12 years old when this game came out.

I love this game. There are some genuinely great environments, and I was happy to see more variety in the levels over TLR.

I can't say how much I LOVED being able to finally shimmy around corners.

Didn't care much for the tightrope, though.

I still think about those Russians in the Submarine, the ghosts and preacher of Ireland, the last minute change of Jean-Yves...

I'm not saying the game is perfect by any means but, *puts on nostagia goggles*, I don't think it's as bad as everyone says!

You could already shimmy around corners in TLR!
CircusBabysGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-20, 20:47   #27
Pigfaced

Not gonna lie, I feel kind of sorry for Chronicles. I really like this game, yet I know that in reality, it's not really that good. I love this game's setpieces and how different the levels were compared to the last entry in the series. The idea of Lara "dying" is also very interesting to me. It adds a bit of character development unseen before in the series and it's a breath of fresh air, despite that it's oh-so-obvious that she wasn't really gonna die.

However, as much fun as I have playing this game, I can't deny the fact that it's just plain OK and I can definitely understand the criticism against it. It was made at a time when CD was completely overworked after 4 continuous years of making these games. Nearly nothing was added, the game was really short, the levels were much more linear compared to the previous games and the whole experience is just one big filler for the "AMAZING! NEW! NEXT GEN!" Angel of Darkness. It's definitely understandable why people were just tired of Tomb Raider at this point.

Still, for nostalgia reasons only, I will always love this game from the bottom of my heart just like all the classic TR games.
Pigfaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 19:38   #28
Raider8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Could it have been shooting the floating head? Whilst I liked the idea and it was very tense it was a bit cumbersom to do.
I started playing this game very late back in 2008 i guess. Playing the little training area i got to know there are a few new moves and also noticed the smoothness of the gameplay in comparison to other classic games. I really liked the smooth frames of TRC. Went to streets of Rome played around till the 3 serpents boss fight. Got stuck there because of not having the 4th symbol to open the tomb/chamber. Had no ****ing idea that i had to shoot the floating head at all. Got stuck real bad. Played the game for a month and then left playing it. Then after an year or two, tried again. I played played and played till i accidentally shot the eyes of that son of a... And then got the symbol and continued. I cannot explain how happy i was that day. Then i played the whole game smoothly wothout getting stuck anywhere. The last few levels were fun but a pain in the arse at the same time. I'll still say enjoyed Rome, Russua, Ireland levels more. Sad it it was too short and it should've covered more mini stories.
It was a fine game and i don't feel like trashing it at all.
Raider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 22:16   #29
AngelOfDrkness

I've recently been replaying Chronicles on the PS1 (which is FAR more polished than the PC version, btw), and I really do think it's a great little game. Sure, it's a tad short, and it may have been produced purely as filler between TRL and AoD, but it's got some really unique settings and gameplay, and I just love the focus on narrative and cinematics. It really helped flesh out Lara's character and establish her as the tough, snarky badass we came to love.

Plus getting a sneak-peek of AoD as a reward for finding all the secrets was a real treat for my ten year-old self
AngelOfDrkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-20, 18:16   #30
SLAYER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mepsipax View Post
I didn't make it through Level 2 for about a year, can't remember what stumped me, but something did.
Pretty sure it was shooting the bell with the revolver. There's no indication whatsoever that you could/should do it. I was stuck there for a while..
SLAYER is online now   Reply With Quote