www.tombraiderforums.com

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Franchise > Tomb Raider Motion Pictures

Old 09-07-19, 12:07   #851
Portugalraider
Professor

Is Alicia co-producing the sequel, however? I thought it was just Graham King and Elizabeth Cantillon...
Old 09-07-19, 12:38   #852
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

We don't know yet but I wouldn't be surprised if she got a vanity title for it like Exec-producer given the amount of say she has in the film.
Old 09-07-19, 12:40   #853
Trenton
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekOfComedy View Post
I hope the pitch is good as Amy Jumps work is very niche. While they get good'ish reviews general audiences don't love their work with low IMDB and RT audience scores and Vikander without supervision is also very niche (try watch Euphoria that she produced) and I'd be afraid they'd feed off each other's nicheness and create something that doesn't have mass appeal for both the fanbase and general audiences.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Anything too weird from Ms Jump and another writer will have a pass at it faster than you can say 'rewrite'.

Hopefully she's been given a clear idea from GK what direction they want the sequel to be heading. Would love to see her come up with some great stuff. Even so, if I was a betting man, I would be hesitant to put my money on Jump remaining the sole screenwriter on this project.
Old 09-07-19, 20:27   #854
GeekOfComedy
Archaeologist

Didn't Vikander pick Jump off her script? I mean she is the star of the film so even if she doesn't produce she can put a lot of weight into anything.

Last edited by GeekOfComedy; 09-07-19 at 20:29.
GeekOfComedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-19, 20:33   #855
PinkyPromise
Archaeologist

Alicia had a lot of control in the previous movie. Geneva told how Alicia changed many things and she was very involved: eliminating the comedy, making the film more dark, more dramatic etc

Even if she is not a producer, she will still have a lot of power. The best received from the previous movie was Alicia Vikander and they will want to keep it. The same with Angelina Jolie. Jolie had a lot of power in The Cradle of Life and chose everything (localization, costumes, actors) because she was the star and they wanted her to continue.

It is evident that Amy Jump has been suggested by Alicia (she was going to work with her). They can choose actors or directors with whom Alicia has worked (in fact, Dominic West was Alicia's suggestion because she had already worked with him. The studio wanted vigo morgenstern, colin firth or Ralph Finnes)

I'm curious to know if Amy Jump has finished the script. In the news of Deadline they talked that Alicia was happy with what she had read (that means the script was already advanced) and in Ben's Instagram I think he was reading the first draft of the movie ... I think about September we could have information.

Last edited by PinkyPromise; 09-07-19 at 20:41.
PinkyPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-19, 09:31   #856
Tonyrobinson
Tomb Raider

I'd say if they are targeting 2021 then the screenplay would probably be far enough advanced for them to atleast start looking at directors if they don't already have Ben in mind. That is if they like what they see in the writing so far. I'm assuming they atleast liked her pitch enough to hire her so they have an idea where things are going to go because they've already stated Alicia liked what she saw.

Screenplay deadlines can be tricky depending on the contract, the WGA usually do allow a 12 week first draft and subsequent shorter times for polishes and changes. The reason these can sometimes extend because the writer is paid in instalments upon delivery of the drafts. So if they don't like what Amy wrote and get some rewrites they'll pay her for the first draft and hire someone new for the second meaning she will only get a partial payment.

Most films nowadays write until they are ready to shoot and during the filming too when things like budget, weather, environment and effects come into play.