Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > General Forums > Video Games

Old 05-04-19, 07:54   #11
Isaac

I have it on PS4 from my PS+. I must admit I didn't really have that much fun.

I love the concept of a powerful killer you have to overcome in order to survive and rely on team work... But the game is counterintuitive on many layers.

First, the matchmaking seems to be all over the place. People don't work together. The game definitely shine when you play with friends but with strangers it's an unfun mess. To this day I still haven't survived one game.

Secondly, the maps are extremely small, except for maybe the Michael Myer halloween neighborhood or the meat factory from Leatherface.

Third, the whole being hang on a weird machine, finding levers to open a doors, find a hidden trapdoor are all abstract scenarios that just don't feel... immersive?

And fourth, the options to survive are extremely too little and limited. You cannot kill the killer, for instance. There is only one exit, maybe two if you find the secret door. I'm not even sure you can survive by simply... staying alive the whole game. You always have to activate generators, activate the switch door and leave. Everytime. All of which are locked behind long boring QTEs. The element of surprise fade off after a while.

In an ideal world, beHavior (the studio behind DbD) would have been the one to create the Friday 13th game. They have the talent, the budget, the skills. F13th executed the concept way better imo. It felt more balanced, fairer, more stranger-friendly too. And the maps being huge actually give a fair amount of thrills and scares. The wide variety of survival options also add a bit of fun challenge. My survival/killed ratio is actually better with that game too, maybe 3/5, compared to my Dead by Daylight one which is close to 0.5/5 lol.

That being said, the killer designs, the progression system (skill unlocks, abilities, etc) and the graphics are really great though. Are they planing to release more and bigger maps in the future? Is this game still receiving updates?

Last edited by Isaac; 05-04-19 at 08:07.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 08:14   #12
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
First, the matchmaking seems to be all over the place. People don't work together. The game definitely shine when you play with friends but with strangers it's an unfun mess. To this day I still haven't survived one game.
This is an unfortunate part of the game, but the higher the rank that you reach, the less issues you'll find in solo queue.

Quote:
Secondly, the maps are extremely small, except for maybe the Michael Myer halloween neighborhood or the meat factory from Leatherface.
As someone who plays both killer and survivor equally, I completely disagree. The only small maps are Badham Preschool and Gideon Meat Packing Plant. The other maps may seem small to survivor mains, but they really, really aren't.

Quote:
Third, the whole being hang on a weird machine, finding levers to open a doors, find a hidden trapdoor are all abstract scenarios that just don't feel... immersive?
To each their own. I personally love it, although I do wish there was a secondary objective.

Quote:
And fourth, the options to survive are extremely too little and limited. You cannot kill the killer, for instance. There is only one exit, maybe two if you find the secret door. I'm not even sure you can survive by simply... staying alive the whole game. You always have to activate generators, activate the switch door and leave. Everytime. All of which are locked behind long boring QTEs. The element of surprise fade off after a while.
I have to disagree with this one tbh.
Something I particularly dislike about Friday the 13th is the fact that you can kill the killer. Survivors in DbD already have so much power over how the match plays out, that this mechanic would completely break the game more than it already is.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "I'm not even sure you can survive by simply... staying alive the whole game." could you elaborate?

Quote:
Are they planing to release more and bigger maps in the future? Is this game still receiving updates?
They just released a ridiculously large map a fe weeks ago, which is almost completely survivor-biased due to its size and it containing so many good pallet loops.
ThatSassyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 08:20   #13
michaeldt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSassyKid View Post
Is playing Nurse on console as bad as they say it is?
Not as bad I think. I have her adept trophy, but then again I haven't played PC so I can't compare
michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 08:26   #14
Isaac

Quote:
I have to disagree with this one tbh.
Something I particularly dislike about Friday the 13th is the fact that you can kill the killer. Survivors in DbD already have so much power over how the match plays out, that this mechanic would completely break the game more than it already is.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "I'm not even sure you can survive by simply... staying alive the whole game." could you elaborate?
Killing Jason in F13th relies on near perfect coordination with tons of RNG. It’s a case of high risk vs high reward, something DbD doesn’t really offer since most objectives are gated behind long QTEs. I never really felt in power of anything, especially thanks to matchmaking lol.

But even without making the killer vulnerable, they could have given more options.

As for what I meant, in F13th you can survive if you stay alive for the duration of the game’s timer (15 min). There is no such thing in DbD afaik. Generator > Lever > Door is always the routine to survive.

Now of course I’m not implying all games are the same, but the novelty wore off very fast to me, mostly due to the QTE nature of everything.

Quote:
They just released a ridiculously large map a fe weeks ago, which is almost completely survivor-biased due to its size and it containing so many good pallet loops.
Neat. I might check this out then.

Last edited by Isaac; 05-04-19 at 08:29.
Isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-19, 08:32   #15
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
Not as bad I think. I have her adept trophy, but then again I haven't played PC so I can't compare
Hopefully I can find a PS4 player near me sometime so I can see it for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Killing Jason in F13th relies on near perfect coordination with tons of RNG. It’s a case of high risk vs high reward, something DbD doesn’t really offer since most objectives are gated behind long QTEs. I never really felt in power of anything, especially thanks to matchmaking lol.
Well, the survivors can loop the killer for long enough that all 5 gens get completed and the exit gates opened. The survivors have so much power that it's ridiculous. The only killers that can truly beat this are Nurse and Spirit, since their powers allow them to counter loops so strongly.

Quote:
As for what I meant, in F13th you can survive if you stay alive for the duration of the game’s timer (15 min). There is no such thing in DbD afaik. Generator > Lever > Door is always the routine to survive.
Ah okay, I wouldn't have liked this for DbD tbh.
Old 05-04-19, 09:09   #16
michaeldt

I used to play F13 a lot actually, and I used to prefer it over DBD.

I stopped playing after they discontinued content updates for the game though :/. It's a shame because there were a lot of good things coming to that game from the looks of it.
Old 05-04-19, 21:57   #17
sackboy123

Been playing DbD since it first released on PS4. Haven't played another game since.
sackboy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-19, 05:48   #18
michaeldt

Am doing by best to 100% the trophies for this game, I currently don't have 3:

. Wounded Healer (Should get this one soon, its a fairly new trophy and pretty easy)
. Skilled Huntress (This one is ****ed, down survivors 100 TIMES from further than 24 meters?? It's only 20 on PC!)
. Deranged Pursuit (This one is also ****ed, because it requires you to play counterintuitively to how the respective killer, The Legion, was designed).

Anyone else having trouble with the last two?
Old 08-04-19, 06:10   #19
ThatSassyKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldt View Post
Am doing by best to 100% the trophies for this game, I currently don't have 3:

. Wounded Healer (Should get this one soon, its a fairly new trophy and pretty easy)
. Skilled Huntress (This one is ****ed, down survivors 100 TIMES from further than 24 meters?? It's only 20 on PC!)
. Deranged Pursuit (This one is also ****ed, because it requires you to play counterintuitively to how the respective killer, The Legion, was designed).

Anyone else having trouble with the last two?
I don't play Huntress, so when I did the 20 hatchet downs from 24m+ away, I just went into games and nodded at the survivors and memed around the whole time so they wouldn't play properly against me, then I'd just randomly hatchet them from ages away, then let them wiggle out, so they kept letting me do it. Got it pretty quickly. 100 is INSANE though, but we also have to throw 1k hatchets on PC (not sure how many it is on console).
Old 09-04-19, 15:21   #20
michaeldt

Quote:
I don't play Huntress, so when I did the 20 hatchet downs from 24m+ away, I just went into games and nodded at the survivors and memed around the whole time so they wouldn't play properly against me, then I'd just randomly hatchet them from ages away, then let them wiggle out, so they kept letting me do it. Got it pretty quickly. 100 is INSANE though, but we also have to throw 1k hatchets on PC (not sure how many it is on console).
Hmm, just tried this for the legions 'Deranged Pursuit Trophy'. The survivors were pretty dense tbh, only one of them realised I was friendly early on, one never realised and left through the gates and the other two didnt realise until I was motioning them to unhook the survivor AFTER the gates were powered.

Still, got around 5 more stacks toward the trophy .