Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Franchise > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 16-06-21, 22:21   #8051
Swiz19

Don't forget that video games by mass media and your everyday person were considered 'nerdy' and 'for children' until games like Tomb Raider came along. Now it's completely normal and common to come across gamers in your every day life.

Look at the sale of popular games between 1997 and 2007 and you'll see a massive increase in sales per unit.

AAA gaming didn't exist in the 90s, and has become a massive industry within the past 20 years.

Production of video games has vastly increased to keep up with tech, demand and industry standards.

With things like mobile gaming, it's only increased in accessibility therefor more visibility to your everyday person.

I doubt any mainstream actors would have ever been involved in any video games unless they were being paid an exorbitant amount of money 20 years ago. Nowadays, video games are viewed as a legitimate way of story telling and the transition between movie/TV acting and game acting is pretty common.

I'm pretty sure that video games has even outranked music in terms of modern day cultural influence. There's a myriad of reasons as to why and how the industry has evolved, you only need to Google it.

Last edited by Swiz19; 17-06-21 at 00:45.
Swiz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-21, 23:14   #8052
redfox45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajay119 View Post
Nope the PlayStation 1 launched at £299 (£608 inclusive of inflation).

They undercut the Saturn by a lot which led in large part to their massive success but it was still a lot comparatively to today's standards.
Had to

How far E3 has fallen
redfox45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 02:40   #8053
Greenapple968

Quote:
Nope the PlayStation 1 launched at £299 (£608 inclusive of inflation).

They undercut the Saturn by a lot which led in large part to their massive success but it was still a lot comparatively to today's standards.
I'm obviously remembering wrong then. It looks like videogames are in fact cheaper than they used to be when you account for inflation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooxman View Post
Like I said:
Thanks for sharing that.
Greenapple968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 07:44   #8054
killchan

holy sidetracking
The franchise didn't fall twice cause people got tired of Duals Lara. If they were, they wouldn't have embraced Legend , and no one would have been " " if not " " when Rise Lara had no duals.

Last edited by killchan; 17-06-21 at 13:49.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 12:26   #8055
jajay119

Exactly. The combat was stale in Underworld I'm not going to lie... But that was because it was clunky and bland. Not because Lara had her duals. It didn't help that the combat focus changed in every single game too. Legend had the combat initiated adrenaline moments that were barely even mentioned. Anni was based entirely around the adrenaline dodge and TRU had adrenaline moves different to the previous two games that were actually quite hard to get to activate from my memory. It was a mess.

I didn't mind the move to free aiming on the the reboot but I do think there needed to be more too it that combines the older flips/adrenaline combat with the newer style.

For example, Lara could have certain unlockable perks where she can enter a concentrated period to deal more damage, Survival instinct could be adapted to show environmental hazards in the area to take out multiple enemies, using the duals she could have a 'mark and execute' style move where she can take out 2/3 enemies in one go. The acrobatics/ grapple could be done to expand the melee combat. One thing I loved about uncharted 4 was being able to grapple-attack enemies. Imagine Lara doing that but with a variety of fabulous knock out animations or using her gymnastics to be able to take out enemies Yakuza heat mode style. I also think Lara should be based more around keeping her moving in combat to make the most of her acrobatics and platforming rather than constantly having her crouch behind cover. That's one element of Control I loved. Jesse had to keep on the move and use her abilities as if you stood still behind cover enemies would just flank you.

The combat in TR could be so fun and so much more than the generic 3rd person shooter it is now.

Last edited by jajay119; 17-06-21 at 12:29.
jajay119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 14:43   #8056
Wooxman

Quote:
Exactly. The combat was stale in Underworld I'm not going to lie... But that was because it was clunky and bland. Not because Lara had her duals. It didn't help that the combat focus changed in every single game too. Legend had the combat initiated adrenaline moments that were barely even mentioned. Anni was based entirely around the adrenaline dodge and TRU had adrenaline moves different to the previous two games that were actually quite hard to get to activate from my memory. It was a mess.
Aside from the boss fights in TRA these moves were entirely optional, though. But I have to say that when Legend was released, the lock-on auto aim mechanics were already showing their age and around the time Underworld was released, cover based shooting with manual aiming was already all the rage. And if not that then games with a heavy focus on ranged combat at least had no auto aim. Crystal was always kinda behind with this stuff. TR2013's combat mechanics were similarly as late to the party as those of Legend and the industry was already transitioning to run and gun combat. Though at least TR2013 wasn't quite as outdated as Legend when it comes to combat mechanics and even Rise was still in the "cover based shooting" time frame. But when Shadow was released, faster combat mechanics were all the rage (and they still are).
Wooxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 14:54   #8057
killchan

Quote:
TRU had adrenaline moves different to the previous two games that were actually quite hard to get to activate from my memory.
In Underworld, the zoom button makes you go in and out adrenaline mode , manually.

You just press it and... you need to see it, it's quite tragic.
killchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 17:10   #8058
Chamayoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post
In Underworld, the zoom button makes you go in and out adrenaline mode , manually.

Well, it's just slow mo. Quite useless, better keep the adrenaline to the one shot move. It's easy to perform with a controller but I remember it's quite tedious to move the target with the mouse on the PC.
Chamayoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-21, 23:35   #8059
Samz

Quote:
Originally Posted by killchan View Post

That's focus fire (which boosts Lara's accuracy and makes every shot stagger enemies.) if you run up to an enemy and press I think B on a 360 controller? Lara jumps off the enemy and it's an Anniversary style headshot.

Quote:
For example, Lara could have certain unlockable perks where she can enter a concentrated period to deal more damage, Survival instinct could be adapted to show environmental hazards in the area to take out multiple enemies, using the duals she could have a 'mark and execute' style move where she can take out 2/3 enemies in one go. The acrobatics/ grapple could be done to expand the melee combat. One thing I loved about uncharted 4 was being able to grapple-attack enemies. Imagine Lara doing that but with a variety of fabulous knock out animations or using her gymnastics to be able to take out enemies Yakuza heat mode style. I also think Lara should be based more around keeping her moving in combat to make the most of her acrobatics and platforming rather than constantly having her crouch behind cover. That's one element of Control I loved. Jesse had to keep on the move and use her abilities as if you stood still behind cover enemies would just flank you.

The combat in TR could be so fun and so much more than the generic 3rd person shooter it is now.
That concentrated period is literally in Underworld as "focused fire" if I remember, it wasn't very useful.

Honestly for me the combat in TR is a side-thing but I really don't want any fancy instant kill cutscene stuff like Mark and execute, Underworld having Lara Lock-On to Targets is what I want, I don't want any gimmick-y stuff, just have Lara be full-acrobatic and dodging around rifle fire and grenades like Legend for when we're fighting humans.

Honestly even as someone who loves shooters, I don't see why auto-aim is seemingly such a bad thing nowadays, especially for an (well, should be anyway) acrobatic focused game, I can't see playing Legend if Lara didn't lock onto targets with a controller being anything other than frustrating, there's a reason any game with acrobatic combat either has lock-on, plenty of slow-motion or both, it's kinda hard to line up shots while you're dodging around.

I'd personally be on-board for just an improved version of Legend's combat. (So the ammo pick-ups of Anniversary and some of the improvements Undeworld brought over.), just with more non-human targets and less of a focus on combat itself.
Samz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-21, 05:28   #8060
TombRager

Maybe in the future there should be a balance between auto aim and free aim? For example, dual weapons would automatically lock on and non dual weapons would have you aiming manually but not limiting acrobatics or such.

... or maybe just having both options as a whole, like in LAU, holding RMB will lock on, and pressing a specific button will allow you to aim manually, except that it shouldn't limit your movement.
TombRager is offline   Reply With Quote