www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 01-02-20, 19:47   #11
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

Yes both sci-fi fantasy and supernatural fantasy (or simply fantasy) are generic. But I think sci-fi fantasy is more "TR". But maybe the games could alternate between pure fantasy and sci-fi mixed with fantasy for variety. Some games could be pure fantasy in the end, others could reveal to be a mix.
Old 01-02-20, 19:49   #12
Videogame
Hobbyist

Ancient alien technology is rare and barely ever done fiction. Changing it to magic was taking it a more generic direction.
Anyway supernatural is just science that is not yet understood.
Videogame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-20, 20:08   #13
Mani_Man
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
Yeah, I think we can have a variety with this.

I like the supernatural stuff and I'm also open to some sci-fi kinda stuff as well. I don't think they're completely mutually exclusive either. I.e you can have something seemingly supernatural that has a sci-fi explanation.
Yup, one of the very cool things is that you have with tomb raider a setting that gives you this complete freedom that you dont find in many settings.

You can mix this stuff around no problem, it wouldnt seem out of place either way.
Mani_Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-20, 17:01   #14
TRExpertgamer
Explorer

You know I understand why we as classic TR fans can't have everything favorable to ourselves because it's impossible for Core Design to have a reopening business.
Old 10-02-20, 04:17   #15
Videogame
Hobbyist

Mummies are basically Zombies and the majority of zombies on tv and movies are science , rather than magic. So I was thinking that the mummies sleeping instead of undead.
Videogame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 23:35   #16
krycekuva
Relic Hunter

it has always been ancient Sci-fi,... even the reboot has been going out of its way to make it still look sort of sci fi-ish.

the previous games were all about ancient civilizations with better technology and living prior to humans. they are understood by humans as goods. pretty basic ancient aliens or assassins creed to some extent.

now currently we don't have magic whatsoever. there's always some relic that grant power, or a "god-like" remnant from the past. we don't have magical creatures roaming around even to actually give the impression of fantasy. everything is pretty grounded, and the only supernatural enemies we get, are undying zombies that bite the dust once killed.
krycekuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-20, 01:07   #17
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

I think they just need to go deeper into what the mystery is in these games. Bring it to the forefront and focus on it more.

Himiko, the Divine Source, the silver box thing in Shadow and the ritual............ what is it that explains these? What are they, who made them and why? It's not enough to read a few journals and fragments of info we pick up, I would like a proper cut-scene story explaining the background.

Like in TR4 when we see the entombment of Seth in the past.

After 3 reboot games I want to know what the connection is with all the things Lara has found and what the hell is going on, big picture.
Old 12-02-20, 12:09   #18
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

To be fair, Crystal was occupied worrying about Trinity and her parents to care about the mythos. It would be much better if the sci-fantasy tomb plots were the main plot of the games, which they weren't in this reboot.
Old 13-02-20, 08:44   #19
Artifact
Hobbyist

Yes, even as a classic fan, I thought they were onto something with the mystery narratives in all three reboots, but alas Trinity, Lara's parents and some other things took the focus instead. Missed opportunities maybe.
Old 13-02-20, 14:08   #20
Blackmoor
Tomb Raider

They need to be more ambitious and creative.

When I first saw the trailer for Shadow where Lara is at the top of a pyramid and hundreds of people are below watching as she saves a young boy from being killed, I thought she may have temporarily been transported into the past.

THAT would have been exciting and interesting.

Firstly because we're in the past and so we get to compare it against what orthodox science believes happens in the past and what actually did (a chance to be imaginative here), but also the spin-off implications. Lara has to work out either how to get there in the first place or if accidentally sent there, how to get back. She's a modern person thrust against the might of the ancients, can she survive without modern conveniences or even understand the local people. Will she be attacked on sight by everyone? Will she change the future inadvertantly and then have to go back again to put things right?

Why don't they do something like that with the TR stories? It doesn't have to be time-travel, that's just an example, but why don't they have something enormously "wow" happening in the game with which to flesh out the story beyond - "Lara's father knew something and she is now on its trail, the baddies are also there closing in, but luckily the plucky honourable locals recognise Lara as "good / on their side / worthy" and together they band together whilst Lara saves the day".