www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Tomb Raider Series > Future of Tomb Raider

Old 10-02-20, 04:31   #31
Videogame
Hobbyist

I think that the new tomb raider is way too grounded and it needs to be more like ninja gaiden and less like uncharted. video games enemies need to be like chess pieces with each character having its own unique abilities, strengths and weaknesses. For example an enemy that's on the ground ain't safe from a hand grenade but a flying enemy might be.
Videogame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-20, 20:09   #32
Maverin
Archaeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videogame View Post
I think that the new tomb raider is way too grounded and it needs to be more like ninja gaiden and less like uncharted. video games enemies need to be like chess pieces with each character having its own unique abilities, strengths and weaknesses. For example an enemy that's on the ground ain't safe from a hand grenade but a flying enemy might be.
Ninja gaiden has a style that wouldn't really fit Tomb Raider. It should get a little more creative with it's enemies but I don't want it to adapt a Japanese manga style.
The reboots did great with their mythical enemies, there were just a little too few of them. Like always... I'd love the style of TRIII which had a lovely balance between real life animals, human enemies and mythical enemies.
Old 10-02-20, 20:19   #33
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

I don't know what other game TR could look up to. Animals as the main enemies seems to be uncommon nowadays. And there's where TR could differentiate itself.
Old 15-02-20, 19:44   #34
Videogame
Hobbyist

Animals are fine I just think you need more. Animals Humans dinosaurs and then monsters are the top tear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
Ninja gaiden has a style that wouldn't really fit Tomb Raider. It should get a little more creative with it's enemies but I don't want it to adapt a Japanese manga style.
The reboots did great with their mythical enemies, there were just a little too few of them. Like always... I'd love the style of TRIII which had a lovely balance between real life animals, human enemies and mythical enemies.
It has nothing to do with adopting Japanese culture or style. Anime and manga is to Japan as comic books and graphic novels are to the west. Ninja gaiden similar in style to games like Doom or Shadow warriors which are western games. Long story short Tomb raider needs creatures that are designed from imagination and not just from real life or a history book.
Videogame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-20, 23:21   #35
Samz
Relic Hunter

Also depends on HOW these enemies are used.

For instance, Helicopter chases.

Chronicles has a small section of the level force you to move quickly without stopping, with a few medpacks to risk some health for if you need them.

AOD has a level with a helicotper taking pot shots at you at certain points, there are also several routes and pick-ups to find for players who don't rush too quickly through the level. (or accidently crash through the windows of one of the buildings.)

Rise has a completely linear run-or-instant-death section.

Chronicles has a constant hazard in a small section of the stage, AOD has a small but fun level with it as a constant hazard for most of it while Rise has a frankly uninteresting section that relies on all the stuff crumbling around you to entertain you, which is the video-game equivalent of dangeling keys infront of a baby with the section basically being just about holding fowards gameplay-wise.
Old 16-02-20, 07:15   #36
SnatchingEdges
Historian

I want a more TRIV approach where a lot of enemies required different strategies.
Old 16-02-20, 09:43   #37
Chamayoo
Relic Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverin View Post
I'd love the style of TRIII which had a lovely balance between real life animals, human enemies and mythical enemies.
I agree the balance in TRIII was perfect !
Old 16-02-20, 19:22   #38
Sayonel
Historian

As others have said, I would really like to see more underwater enemies and have underwater combat. Sharks, eels, a pack of jellyfish, crocodiles, barracudas, and maybe something like the Kraken as a mythological enemy.

I lived for the underwater sections of the older games, the urgency of not drowning while trying to not die to a shark was a lot of fun for me. Which is why I like that they incorporated underwater exploration and piranhas in Shadow, I really hope they expand on that in the next game.
Sayonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-20, 16:10   #39
paulojr_mam
Archaeologist

I prefer TR1996's balance, having only a few (named) human enemies. But of course in urban areas human enemies fit better. And of the TRs that have urban areas, I think TR3's balance is the best indeed.