Tomb Raider Forums  

Go Back   Tomb Raider Forums > Tomb Raider Series > Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Old 26-03-19, 02:42   #23451
SpyrosMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
And a reminder that it will probably only be appreciated when it's too late, as usual.
The only reason this is happening is because the quality digresses game by game.
SpyrosMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-19, 02:43   #23452
Yeauxleaux

Quoting myself (as someone with strong criticisms of the Reboot);

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeauxleaux View Post
I'm also not prepared to accuse EM of "not listening to fans". Not when they have very obviously done their best with the game engine they inherited from CD to respond to many of the criticisms we have made on this forum for years in terms of gameplay. I do think some of you are a bit unfair on EM in particular, when you have to consider the base they started with when it came to making Shadow.
When they did what many of us have asked for, for years, including;

- Removing white paint from ledges
- More emphasis on platforming and puzzles than on combat
- Return of deadly sudden death traps
- Creating truly immersive atmosphere through use of sound and lighting
- Better supernatural enemies that were actually thrilling
- More tomb-y environments
- A more interesting main outfit for Lara that is an updated take on the classic outfit (even if it was locked out for part of the game)
- Difficulty sliders

Yes it's not everything and there are limitations placed on them by what CD have done, but it's something. To accuse them of not giving a **** about fans when they have clearly pushed to get things into Shadow that it is obvious they've read on this forum, things I specifically remember asking for myself, it is ungrateful and rude. I want more so I do still have criticisms, but I also have praise.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 26-03-19 at 02:51.
Yeauxleaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-19, 02:50   #23453
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnanonymouz View Post
blaming the developers and being ungrateful..........pretends to be shocked*
I'm not being ungrateful, I'm just laying the facts as they are.

If EM is not the blame then who? Who has direct access to TR and makes all the judgements?

Quote:

They knew we wanted the duals for how many years now? They knew we wanted expanded tombs with multiple Chambers and such.

I mean can we really say that they were so limited by things?

We have one more dlc to go so who knows what's to come in DLC7, but after all this disappointment it is very difficult to get behind anything they do. There been many years of bad mojo with TR from Sqeenix, CD, and EM.

Especially given some of their statements.

So excuse me if I find it hard to believe that they actually care a lot. I need more then the bread crumbs we have access to in order to see it.

Last edited by charmedangelin; 26-03-19 at 02:55.
charmedangelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-19, 02:55   #23454
OrangeJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
If EM is not the blame then who? Who has direct access to TR and makes all the judgements?
SE? CD? you can't for a single moment truly believe the people at eidos montreal are the only ones who have/had a say in what decisions are/were taken for shadow.

there are a LOT of iffy things about sottr, but you can't deny that em so far have shown to be the ones to listen to fans the most. except for that stupid ass outfit restriction idk what's up with that.

Last edited by OrangeJuice; 26-03-19 at 02:56.
OrangeJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-19, 02:56   #23455
charmedangelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeJuice View Post
SE? CD? you can't for a single moment truly believe the people at eidos montreal are the only ones who have/had a say in what decisions are/were taken for shadow.
Their director and producer made several statements on Tomb Raider. Namely on things fans hoped for, but promised a return of none of those things. Promising that they don't want a single of those things to return.
Old 26-03-19, 03:00   #23456
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedangelin View Post
They knew we wanted the duals for how many years now? They knew we wanted expanded tombs with multiple Chambers and such.

I mean can we really say that they were so limited by things?

We have one more dlc to go so who knows what's to come in DLC7, but after all this disappointment it is very difficult to get behind anything they do. There been many years of bad mojo with TR from Sqeenix, CD, and EM.

Especially given some of their statements.

So excuse me if I find it hard to believe that they actually care a lot. I need more then the bread crumbs we have access to in order to see it.
Yes because expecting them to completely overhaul the gameplay engine and formula established by CD for the third game in a closely-related trilogy is not realistic. They had to stick to what CD had established, especially given CD did also work on the game to an extent, and that limited their options as far as re-introducing more fan-requested classic elements. That's not hard to understand.

CD's model is a highly linear third person shooter gameplay, grounded in realism with Ellen Page cosplaying as Lara. Unfortunately there's only so much they can do, using that model, to create a game with more exploration elements to fill in the gaps where there's no combat when it plays exactly the same. However like I said, with that they did what they could to listen to us and it shows.

I'm reasonably assured that if EM had total creative control over a new Tomb Raider title, with no input or cockblocking from CD or EM, we would get even more classic-like gameplay, storyline and Lara. They seem to want that based on the fan demands they have catered to (or attempted to cater to before being cockblocked) but haven't been able to give it to us. They might have said some things in interviews beforehand that may or may not have been taken out of context, but their actions actually suggest differently.

Last edited by Yeauxleaux; 26-03-19 at 03:02.
Old 26-03-19, 03:03   #23457
charmedangelin

Idk, they've made statements saying the opposite. That the survival action lens is the most important thing, not returning Lara or Tomb Raider to what it once stood for.
Old 26-03-19, 03:17   #23458
iWANEX
Golden

Quote:
What are you doing, hun? As Amaru said "Do you realize the tragedy you have unleashed?"
iWANEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-19, 03:23   #23459
Yeauxleaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWANEX View Post
What are you doing, hun? As Amaru said "Do you realize the tragedy you have unleashed?"
It's my problem with the internet, it's so tempting to respond to people, yknow when I probably should just go to bed because I have work tomorrow

Old 26-03-19, 06:09   #23460
Heartache

i love shadow and it will soon have most hours played of any tr game. i was just hoping for a bit more polishing in all those patches but they made alot of stuff worse sadly. its just so glitchy
Heartache is offline   Reply With Quote