www.tombraiderforums.com  

Go Back   www.tombraiderforums.com > Community Forums > Video-Games, Consoles and Related Discussions

Old 26-06-22, 16:02   #24851
Raider42
Hobbyist

Hey guys I was gonna play FF7 Remake when it came to steam for the very first time, it would be my first FF ever. I had never been into JRPGs, there's just something about them that kind of throws me off, like the turn based gameplay, but I wanted to try this since it has modern graphics and it seems to have more real time action instead of the turn based thing that I have never been able to get into. However before I jumped in I've been reading people comments and I'm extremely confused. So this is not really a remake per se but more of a sequel? Lots of people say I need to play the OG in order to understand it? So is not telling the same story then? Can I just start here and enjoy it regardless?
Raider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-22, 16:48   #24852
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Hi, Raider42!

- It is a remake of the first few hours of the original FFVII game. The rest of the original game will be remade across 2 more upcoming titles.
- You don't need to play the original to understand FFVII Remake, but I'd say it's recommended and that you'll enjoy it more by noticing how different (or similar) it is.

- It tells the same story with extra depths and a few twists that aim to confuse the player regarding where the story will lead us to.

- And yes, you can start and enjoy any FF game as they are mostly standalone titles. The exceptions would be the sequels to X (X-2) and XIII (XIII-2 and Lightning Returns), both of which make sense if you play them before their sequels.
Old 27-06-22, 14:24   #24853
AshesBorn
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider42 View Post
Hey guys I was gonna play FF7 Remake when it came to steam for the very first time, it would be my first FF ever. I had never been into JRPGs, there's just something about them that kind of throws me off, like the turn based gameplay, but I wanted to try this since it has modern graphics and it seems to have more real time action instead of the turn based thing that I have never been able to get into. However before I jumped in I've been reading people comments and I'm extremely confused. So this is not really a remake per se but more of a sequel? Lots of people say I need to play the OG in order to understand it? So is not telling the same story then? Can I just start here and enjoy it regardless?
Remake is pretty faithful to its source material, so I believe you will be able to enjoy and understand it without playing the 1997 game. There are a few things suggesting that the story might deviate from the original in the coming installments, but there's no way of knowing for sure at the moment.
Old 28-06-22, 02:22   #24854
Raider42
Hobbyist

Thanks I think I'll go ahead and dive in. I totally understand some fans recommending playing the original first as usually remakes tend to make changes not always for the better (looking at you RE3 Remake). But if it's faithful enough and does a good job of modernizing the game I figured it may be a good entry point. I think I might have tried the original one time and I was put off by the dated graphics and gameplay but I've always been curious about this series and JRPGs in general. I was actually between this and FFX that I keep seeing recommended for newcomers.

Last edited by Raider42; 28-06-22 at 02:32.
Raider42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-22, 12:45   #24855
SnatchingEdges
Professor

FFX is the best for newcommers tho, Id say that before Remake
Old 28-06-22, 13:13   #24856
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

But it's a turn-based JRPG. If you don't mind that, I agree, start with X. You may check some gameplay videos before buying, so you can see if you're ok not only with how it plays but also with how it looks (it's a 20+ years old game with some ok-ish remastering efforts).
Old 28-06-22, 21:46   #24857
RAID
Tomb Raider

I have a love hate relationship with X. The gameplay is good and watching the characters grow is satisfying. But the game has unforgivable flaws such as millions of unskipable extremely slow cutscenes, some of which are pointless. To make matters worse, the voice acting is so terrible, I felt embarrassed as a kid when playing it with people in the room. The maps are extremely linear and there's not much to explore. I would suggest you check out gameplay videos before buying the game as Yuna (ironic) rightly so suggested.

On the other hand, 7 remake is brilliant. I'm currently playing it myself for the first time and it really is enjoyable. I don't remember much from the original 7 game so I cannot really compare. But the remake is really good. I'm loving the fast paced action style combat and I cannot see myself going back to turn based.

Last edited by RAID; 28-06-22 at 21:49.
RAID is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 12:20   #24858
Yuna´s Wish
Tomb Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAID View Post
and I cannot see myself going back to turn based.
You, heathen!!!

I believe World of Final Fantasy was the last turn-based JRPG I played (and I loved it and expected a sequel...that would never come, of course). Nowadays it's all Action.

Have you tried the Tales series? If not, Tales of Arise is a great game to go to if VIIR leaves you craving more. It's all Action, nice graphics, interesting plot (at times it feels a bit too long, though, I have to warn), great cast of characters...everything the formula needs.

I prefer Berseria and Xillia, if I'm honest, but Arise is more of a modern game than its older siblings, more of what someone would expect a game after 2020 to be. Not without flaws, but a pretty good marriage between core traditional JRPG elements and AAA/modern expectations.

Last edited by Yuna´s Wish; 29-06-22 at 12:23.
Yuna´s Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 13:43   #24859
RAID
Tomb Raider

I've never tried the tales series. I might check it out eventually. Thanks for the tip. I'm seriously eyeing Stranger of Paradise and FF15. After playing 8 remaster, an old flame inside me rekindled lol. I hadn't touched an FF game since 12, which I'm also eyeing for steam now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuna´s Wish View Post
You, heathen!!!
Stay away from the summoner...
You're a bad man

See what I did there?

Last edited by RAID; 29-06-22 at 14:49.
RAID is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-22, 14:37   #24860
LNSNHGTDS
Tomb Raider

XV was a lot of fun.

Doesn't follow your typical FF formula point by point but it's nevertheless a fun game. I know the story gets a lot of flack but I did feel attached to the party and their struggles and enjoyed it as well.